Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving across the west coast of USA in 2 weeks (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-across-the-west-coast-of-usa-in-2-weeks-966126/)

ellie_williams Feb 8th, 2013 10:09 AM

Driving across the west coast of USA in 2 weeks

Hi Guys,

I am currently planning a trip to drive down the west coast of the USA in around 2 weeks during Spetember time. I was wondering if anyone would recommend if this is going to be enough time? I am planning on flying into seattle, renting out a car, driving down and finally flying out of San Diego. Please can you advise what are the must sees along this route (have already been to yosemite and Vegas so no need to go back to these places) and if two weeks would be enough time to cover possibly seattle, portland, coos bay, sacremeno, san francisco, monterey, santa barbara, LA and San Diego.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions or tips!

Thanks

happytrailstoyou Feb 8th, 2013 10:15 AM

This could be done in two weeks, but why Coos Bay and Sacramento when there are so many other possibilities? Also, Seattle to LA would be a little more leisurely.

HTtY

ellie_williams Feb 8th, 2013 10:23 AM

Those are the places that people have suggested we visit so was just going on advice really. Was quite keen to go to the Zoo in San Diego but could possibly miss this out!

bbqboy Feb 9th, 2013 02:45 PM

I second HTTY's concern. All ocean, or oceans and mountains?
Cute small towns? Food and wine interests? Tell us more.

Tomsd Feb 9th, 2013 03:23 PM

If you like driving - you could see a lot of beautiful places in two weeks. Perhaps someone was thinkg about Sacramento being a gateway to Lake Tahoe - and then maybe from there - heading down 395 to Tioga Pass and into Yosemite - and from Tuoloumne Meadows - over to the Valley Floor.

After Seattle - I would suggest heading to Portland - and maybe drive out the Gorge - see the waterfalls - and around Mt. Hood on a day trip - and then down the Oregon Coast.

From either Southern Oregon (check out taking a jet boat ride up the fabled Rogue River - from Gold Beach) - or from the Redwoods across the border in Northern Cal - (see Crescent City http://www.yelp.com/biz/jedediah-smi...-crescent-city ) - head back to I-5 down to San Francisco.

From there - decide if you want to do the Tahoe/Yosemite loop - and in any event - work your way back/down to Carmel/Monterrey - and on down through Big Sur to LA and then by all means - get down here to SD.

The SD Zoo is great - but I/we also like the Wild Animal Park - now called Safari Park - just as much - as you see the animals more in the open areas and some of their natural behaviour.

whoknew Feb 13th, 2013 12:33 PM

I don't think of Sacramento as a tourist destination per se, in comparison to the other places to visit in California, especially if you are planning a drive up the West Coast. It's out of your way and I suggest adhering more closely to the Pacific Coast Highway(PCH) route.

I'll only offer recommendations on California since that's my home...see the giant redwoods in northern California, of course San Francisco is self explanatory, Monterey/Carmel (not Monterrey, which is in Mexico, I believe)is nice especially the Monterey Aquarium which gives a great overview of animal life along the coast.

Nepenthe in the Big Sur area is a great stop for fantastic views.

Hearst Castle in San Simeon is also interesting.

Certain times of the year are great for whale watching but I'm not sure if that will fall during the time frame you are going.

You might also want to check out any of the California missions if you like history. Fodor's poster Maitaitom has been visiting the missions and he has posted on here about it..just put his name in the search box and you'll find it.

There are some great websites regarding traveling down the PCH. Just google Pacific Coast Highway, and some of the sites will give you some good itineraries depending upon the length of time you are traveling, etc.