Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Driving across Canada for 12 months; looking for don`t miss towns, events, etc! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-across-canada-for-12-months-looking-for-don-t-miss-towns-events-etc-13920/)

Claire Smith Apr 13th, 1997 04:35 PM

Driving across Canada for 12 months; looking for don`t miss towns, events, etc!

A friend and I are driving across Canada beginning at the end of August/early September for a year. We are both in our early 20s and looking for any kind of don`t miss oppourtunities. We live in NS and are driving to the west coast, not on the trans Canada, but on small roads going through rural towns (hopefully) to discover the country from the ground up as it were. We plan to visit major cities (Montreal, Quebec, Toronto etc) but are VERY interested in cool and interesting small towns along the way. We plan to spend the winter in Banff or Jasper working; will it be difficult to get a menial job at a resort?? We are travelling as cheaply as possible; camping whenever possible (and staying with friends when it isn`t!!) or hostelling. ANY inoformation that anyone can offer will go into our "journey" file, and be most appreciated!! thanks a million!

Pauline Apr 27th, 1997 02:06 PM

Calgary is generally at it's best in September or early October when Indian summer is blazing. Nights are quite cool so warm clothes and sleeing bags are a must. Best camping, hiking in the mountains in Kananaskis country. Campgrounds are not crowded then. I don't know the likelihood of work but I expect that it will be good in service industry as students will be back in school.

What a great plan. A whole year to see our wonderful country. I took only a month, travelling in a camper van but I met wonderful people and learned a lot about my own strnghths etc. AMA membership really helped!

Mae-Claire May 3rd, 1997 11:41 PM

I am a prairie girl that moved to BC. I thought that I would tell you about a city in Manitoba where I just graduated from in December, BRANDON. This town is a young city with very fun things to do. I would definately stop in there for the night as you will definately wanna check it out. If you like country there are some very handsom cowboys at Hustons Bar, and if your interested in dancing all night long, to a great mix and newly renovated high tech bar, check out Yaks I had fun in that City for the past 4 years. If you want anymore information on about a three hundred mile radius from there, I would love to help you out.

dennis holland May 7th, 1997 09:31 AM

South of Calgary is Lethbridge and nearby is an unusual museum: Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump. All about how the Indians captured buffalo by funneling them off a cliff. Something quite different, also Waterton Park on the border with Montana.
Contact the provincial tourist offices for lists of events and attractions off the beaten path. The big CP hotels, Banff Springs, Lake Louise, Whistler hire plenty of people to keep their facilities running but I don't how much of a time committment they would want from you.

Tracy from Calgary May 20th, 1997 01:26 PM

Your trip sounds fabulous!! What a wonderful idea! I thought I would throw in my two cents about working the winter in Banff or Jasper... I was suprised to see this was your plan, as most people work the summer season in both towns. I lived in Jasper for a few years, so I am biased. I find it far less commercial, and much more natural than the Banff townsite, so I would try Jasper first. It is a beautiful town, which, in addition to drawing travellers there to ski & snowboard, and spend Christmas, does draw people for their Jasper in January festival.

Banff would probably be the more lively, busy place, as it is the more internationally known destination, as well, it draws weekenders from the Calgary area, as it is so close. There are so many businesses here, that I doubt you would find it hard to get a job in this town.

Both towns have gorgeous scenery, but Banff is the more "cosmo" of the two. In either town, you will find many people your age, from all over the world, working in restaurants, hotels and at local ski hills.

If you decide on Jasper, email me, and I will give you a name or two of people who you might ask for jobs. I could probably get you more specific information on who's hiring for that time of year.
Enjoy your trip!! I know many people who came to Jasper and Banff to work for a season, and never left, they loved it soooo much!