Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Drivers Licence Requirements (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/drivers-licence-requirements-1012840/)

Raymond123 Apr 29th, 2014 03:18 AM

Drivers Licence Requirements

Hi All
Our travel agent has informed us that an International Drivers Licence is not necessary and that my Australian Licence is sufficient .
Can someone be kind enough to confirm
Thanks
Ray

nytraveler Apr 29th, 2014 03:32 AM

I know this is true in New York - not sure about all other states.

NeoPatrick Apr 29th, 2014 03:51 AM

First, I think you mean International Driving Permit -- not License.

Since the whole point of an International Driving Permit is to provide an English translation for those travelers who have a license in a language that US police may not be able to read and understand, I can't imagine why an Australian would ever need an International Drivers Permit in the US. Nor can I find any evidence of any states that do require one. But if anyone can find such a requirement, please let us know.

By the way, I have seen that "some car rental agencies may require you to hold an International Driving Permit" but I have never heard of one being required if you hold a valid driver's license from another English speaking country. You might check with your rental agency just to be sure.

RoamsAround Apr 29th, 2014 03:51 AM

For others reading this post - an International Driver's License isn't really a Driver's License. It's a document that that translate the information on your own DL into several different foreign languages so that if you are in a foreign country and are stopped by a law enforcement agent who doesn't speak or read "your language" he/she will be able to get whatever info they deem necessary fro the International DL.

So, to answer OP's question, he will not need an IDL in the US.

RoamsAround Apr 29th, 2014 03:52 AM

I see NeoPatrick and I were posting at the same time.

NeoPatrick Apr 29th, 2014 04:05 AM

Yes, RoamsAround. And part of my post was to point out that I don't even think there is such a thing as an "International Driver's License" -- at least I sure don't know what that is, nor where you'd get one.

travelgourmet Apr 29th, 2014 04:13 AM

Just seconding the good info Neo and RoamsAround offered. I really don't see why you would need this in the US.

RoamsAround Apr 29th, 2014 05:53 AM

Neo's right, officially it's an International Driving Permit not an International Driving License (although many people use that term) and it's purpose is as I stated above, namely to translate information.

So, since OP's DL is in English he won't need an IDP in the US.

BigRuss Apr 29th, 2014 07:08 AM

<<Since the whole point of an International Driving Permit is to provide an English translation for those travelers who have a license in a language that US police may not be able to read and understand, I can't imagine why an Australian would ever need an International Drivers Permit in the US.>>

Well, they do spell license differently.