Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Drive trip from Philadelphia to detroit (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/drive-trip-from-philadelphia-to-detroit-1026873/)

Tony5 Oct 2nd, 2014 01:44 PM

Drive trip from Philadelphia to detroit

Hi all
Planing a drive trip from Philly to detroit mid Oct. I know that this can be a tough one but can anyone tell me any scenic routes to see some fall folaige. May stop in Pit and also Cleveland. Would like to see the rock and roll hall of fame. My wife and I are seniors and wont be in any hurry. Any good stops and restaurants etc:

Thanks in advance....Tony5

tomfuller Oct 2nd, 2014 06:41 PM

You might wonder how a guy from Oregon knows about PA. I was born in and graduated High School in Wellsboro PA. Graduated with AA in Forest Technology from Williamsport CC.
Go north from Philadelphia past Hazelton to get on I-80 west to get on US 15 on the west side of the Susquehanna River.
Go north on 15 to the Mansfield exit to get on US 6 west.
Make a stop in Welsboro at the Wellsboro Diner which is on the corner where Rt. 6 makes a right turn. If the weather is good it should take about 4.5 hours from Philadelphia to Wellsboro.
After you check out a little more of Wellsboro, drive west on US 6. Let's hope that the leaves are at peak and not past peak.
Drive west to the town of Kane which is on the eastern side of the Allegheny National Forest. Kane would be a good place to spend the night. Take 6N through Edinboro to get to I-90 west of Erie. Have fun at the R&R Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
If I remember you turn north off I-90 near Toledo to go to Detroit. Skip Pittsburgh if you want to see the nicest of the fall colors.

Tony5 Oct 3rd, 2014 05:47 AM

Hi Tom

Sounds like a plan.....I was thinking about using US6 and also skipping PITT as we have been there a few times before.
Thanks for the info and if we stop at the diner I will be sure to tell the folk you said hello........Tony5

tomfuller Oct 3rd, 2014 06:01 AM

US6 is also known as the "Grand Army of the Republic" Highway at least in PA. It starts on Cape Cod and ends in southern CA.

Citylghts Oct 3rd, 2014 06:58 AM

If you want a little history during your trip, you can visit Stan Hywet Hall in Akron. It's the estate of Charles Seiberling, founder of Goodyear, and open for tours. In nearby Canton you'll find the William McKinley library and tomb (www.mckinleymuseum.org) and the National First Ladies Library (www.firstladies.org).

In Fremont, between Cleveland and Toledo is the estate of President Rutherford Hayes (www.rbhayes.org/hayes/).

Once in Detroit, you can visit the Edsel Ford estate or Meadowbrook Hall on the campus of Oakland University. Also The Henry Ford, Detroit Institute of Arts and Cranbrook.

You can find the status of fall colors in Ohio on the state DNR site (www.fallcolor.ohiodnr.gov/). Michigan has a similar site and also lets you receive color updates (www.michigan.org/fall/).

Rich Oct 4th, 2014 03:51 AM

We did as similar trip ( the reverse order ) several years ago. The highlight of the trip for me was the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio . . a bit out of the way, but if you are a football nut, it is well worth the time

Tony5 Oct 28th, 2014 11:35 AM

To Tomfuller....Tom.....We took your advise and traveled US6 west. All was wonderful and roads were good. However you can keep the Wellsboro diner...very bad. Prices high and portions small especially for an old time diner. thanks Tom