Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Drive to NYC from Boston or Take Train? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/drive-to-nyc-from-boston-or-take-train-344640/)

ChrissySue Apr 16th, 2008 09:25 AM

Drive to NYC from Boston or Take Train?

We have German friends who will be visiting the US this summer. They are flying into Boston and then going on to NYC. They want to know if they should rent a car in Boston and drive to NYC or take a train to NYC since they don't want to drive while in NYC.

SusieQQ Apr 16th, 2008 09:29 AM

It really depends on if they want to do any sightseeing between the two cities. My German cousins wanted to stop in Plymouth and Newport overnight so they rented a car. If they are only interested in transportation then it should be the train.

nytraveler Apr 16th, 2008 10:08 AM

It also depends on how many of them there are. For a couple I would do the train - but the more people you have the cheaper a car becomes.

The direct transit time is the same either way. But - if they have the time I would reco taking a car and sighseeing one or two nights along the way.

china_cat Apr 16th, 2008 01:51 PM

Personally, I prefer taking the train. its just easier, less stressful, no traffic hassles. Unfortunately amtrak is a bit expensive.

if the cost is an issue, a bus may be cheaper than either option, and we're getting to have a bit of a price war with several new NYC-Boston options.

It may also depend on the timing. If they were planning on going to NYC for a weekend, and wanted to drive on a Friday, well the traffic can be horrendous.

ljc4creb Apr 16th, 2008 02:01 PM

We drove from Boston and the traffic close to the city was bad. Parking is usually off-site (someone takes your vehicle somewhere and parks it), usually about $30++per night. The train is less stressful and quicker and if you have AAA, there is a discount.

Proenza_Preschooler Apr 16th, 2008 04:15 PM

My sister, Jennifer, lives in Cambridge and takes the Acela into Penn Station so we can meet and have lunch and shoe shop. :)

She would never drive in. Do you know what it costs just to park in Manhattan on a week day?

Thin

Anonymous Apr 16th, 2008 04:19 PM

Do you know what it costs to take the Acela?

sumi Apr 16th, 2008 04:44 PM

I used to live in Boston and go to NYC every couple of months. I liked the train since I didn't have to worry about rush-hour or having to park (have had my car broken into more than once in NYC) but for really short trips, I just flew to La Guardia.

If they don't want to drive and are on a budget, there are quite a few buses that run "express" service between Boston and NYC. You can't beat their prices.

Proenza_Preschooler Apr 16th, 2008 08:19 PM

No, how much does it cost to take the Acela?

It can't be more than $300 round trip.

Thin

Anonymous Apr 17th, 2008 02:50 AM

The Acela costs about $200 per round trip; but of course you have to buy a ticket for every person in your group whereas the car is a single expense.

BWBlakely Apr 17th, 2008 05:27 AM

Take the train and then taxi around NYC. By the time by pay for the rental car and then for parking, it will be cheaper & faster by train!

capxxx Apr 17th, 2008 05:30 AM

Just to clarify: the Acela is the Amtrak express train (faster, more expensive). There is also Amtrak regional service (slower, less expensive).

china_cat Apr 17th, 2008 05:40 AM

and the Amtrak regional is fine for the trip to NY. I find it not worth paying the extra for the Acela, since it only saves you about 40 minutes each way, at a cost of $100 or so.

the cost definitely depends a bit on the number in the party. Also what they plan to do with the car. If they rent a car for 1 day, drive to NYC and return it, it will almost certainly be cheaper than the train even for 2 people. If they have a couple kids, and are 4 people, the car will be a lot more economical.

and yet, I would still take the train.