Drive times around Tavernier-Key Largo FL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a dive trip in the Florida Keys in May. Based on my research to date, I think our preferred dive shop is in Tavernier (around mile marker 91), and our preferred hotel (good reviews, we can use points so it's free) is the Hampton Inn Key Largo (around mile marker 102), so 11 miles away. Ordinarily, I would think that an 11 mile drive is no big deal for our daily "commute" during this holiday, but I'm wondering if there's any unusual about driving in the Keys that would make an 11 mile drive north in the morning (probably around 8 am) a major hassle we'd want to avoid. There do seem to be some nice places to stay closer to Tavernier, but I'd prefer to use Hilton points for the stay to keep the cost down. (And we would rent a car regardless of how close our hotel is to the dive shop, so that doesn't affect the equation.)

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 02:11 PM
MJT

There is also a Hampton Inn in Islamorada, oceanfront with a nice tiki bar and adjacent Outback Steak House. There are alot of good restaurants in Islamorada.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 01:25 AM

I have stayed at and can recommend the Hampton Inn in Islamorada, though that may be way too far.

Speed limits are low in the Keys, esp in built up areas: maybe 35? You aren't going to make great time.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM

11 miles is a long drive in the Keys, but I THINK the area you have mentioned is 2 lanes both ways. The biggest issue with traffic in the Keys is one lane in and one land out is for most of the stretch. That said if there is an accident (small or large) you may find yourself backed up for a looooong time.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 12:26 PM

It is two lanes both ways all the way on that stretch. There is no school zone between mm 102 and mm 91, so you should be good there as well. Only two traffic lights, and the speed limit is 45 going up to 50 mph on that stretch. Very little congestion during the week. As noted above, the only issue is if there is a bad accident, there is usually no "alternate" road, so you are out of luck. However, I wouldn't base my choice of hotel on the chances of missing a dive trip because of a bad traffic accident. I think you are fine to stay at that Hampton.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - very helpful. We've decided to book the Hampton Key Largo and use the dive resort I mentioned.