drive time? Fripp Island to Atlanta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying back to California by way of Atlanta. How much time do we need to allow for getting to the airport? We thought we might drive half way and spend the night but there doesn't seem to be much to see around the half way mark. Any ideas???? Thanks so much! Margo
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 06:38 AM

I would map quest it of course. So it shows up as just under 6 hrs - 5 something if you really push it I would bet. I used to live in Beaufort so sometimes it takes a while to get off Fripp and then on to major roads. So you are flying in and out of Atlanta and having your vacation at Fripp (which is SC)? You could of course spend a nite in Savannah which wouldn't be 1/2 way but it would be nice. There are some small towns off the interstate but the only one I am really familiar w/ is Griffin, GA which has a quaint downtown w/ antique shops. I stayed at a B&B there a couple of years ago.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:00 AM
GoTravel

I'd almost drive to Atlanta the night before. I cannot think of anything half way.

leah, isn't Fripp about 30 minutes from Beaufort?

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! We fly into Washington, Dc and spend the first part of our vacation there! Then we are driving to Fripp where a relative owns a vacation home! Can't wait!!! Best airline prices had us flying home from Atlanta. Thanks again!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:54 AM

I would think it would take at least 30 min to get from downtown Beaufort to Fripp. I think it used to take me about that long to drive from Beaufort to Hunting Is. or perhaps closer to 40 min. Guess it depends where you are on Fripp.
I thought there was a town on the way to Atlanta that I'd heard good things about but I just looked at a map and nothing jumped out at me. Maybe someone else will think of it. I remember the drive as a long and deadly boring highway. If you get as far as Griffin you might as well stay near the airport as you are that close.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:51 AM

One option would be to just drive to the airport and spend the night there. If you do that, I'd recommend using Priceline. You can get a great deal on 4* hotels at the airport. Check biddingfortravel.com for bidding info.

Halfway would be Macon, GA. One of the 10 most romantic inns in the US is in Macon - the 1842 Inn. It you are ready for a Southern treat before you fly out, that would be a great option.

I've just discovered two great fine dining restaurants in Macon. If you like bleu cheese, the Downtown Grill has an incredible filet stuffed with bleu cheese. Perhaps the best steak I've ever had anywhere. Everything is good there, including the mussel appetizer. Another option is the Tic Toc Room - great food and ambiance (who knew in Macon? I didn't until recently).

If you want more med-range options, then I recommend the La Quinta Inn and Suites on Riverside. I like it a lot - and that is has a Carraba's next door. When I'm tired it's great just to walk to dinner and back. The Hampton Inn Macon is the only HI I refuse to stay in (I know, Ira, preposition).

Here's a link that will give you more info on the restaurants and Inn - http://www.maconga.org/Listings/inde...&CategoryID=30

If you do stay near the airport and want a nice dining option, try Oscar's in College Park.

Use wwww.mapquest.com to map your route.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM

A (very) short detour north of Macon is the small town where the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed. If you are interested, the cafe is serving Southern cooking. A few shops in the 1 block town, but not a whole lot more.

If you want to detour more, Madison, GA is a beautiful antebellum southern town and the Blue Willow restaurant is well-known for their southern fare.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 12:03 PM

The answer to how long from Fripp to Atlanta depends greatly on the time of day you travel and what route you take AND if there are any accidents along the way, construction, etc. Savannah sounds like a perfect stop over, and if you travel to the airport after in-bound Atlanta rush hour traffic on I75 is over, a pretty safe bet. I'd still allow more time than Mapquest tells you.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer!!!