Drive Orlando - Miami

Jun 22nd, 1997, 08:32 PM
Jenny

Drive Orlando - Miami

My husband and I are stopping off in Orlando for a few days on our way home from Europe. Our problem is that our plane connections, whilst we can land in Orlando, cannot catch a flight out of Orlando but have to go to Miami. We don't mind, as we decided we would hire a car and drive down to Miami and see a bit of the place on the way. How long does it take to drive from Orlando to Miami? Is there anything to stop and see on the way? What is the best route? Thank you for any information you can give me!

Jun 24th, 1997, 03:57 AM
Neal Sanders

Miami and Orlando are 210 miles apart, and the Florida Turnpike, with a posted 70 mph speed limit on most of it, will get you from one city to the other in just over three hours. However, if you'd like to see some of Florida, there are a wealth of beautiful, scenic stretches of the state available to you. The Cape Canaveral National Seashore, due east of Orlando, is a pristine sweep of beach. The US 27 and US 17 corridors wind south from Orlando via orange groves and cattle ranches. Highland Hammock State Park is an excellent stopping point to see some of gently rolling country, replete with live oaks and Spanish moss. Everglades National Park is a must-see: the visitor center is accessible southwest of Homestead, and there are boardwalks over a very scenic area. There are also airboat rides available at several points along US 41, something everybody ought to do once. Things not to do: don't try driving A1A to get from one point to another: it looks like a scenic highway along the ocean; instead, its a depressing strip of fast food restaurants and condominiums. In Miami, Fairchild Tropical Garden in Biscayne Bay in Kendall is a delight. Fodors Miami is fairly accurate in describing the other sights. Enjoy your side trip!

Search this Thread