Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   drive l.a. to carmel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/drive-l-a-to-carmel-329028/)

ava Jun 19th, 2003 06:33 AM

drive l.a. to carmel

At the end of July I will be driving from Los Angeles to Carmel to attend a wedding. We will be leaving on a Friday morning and want to arrive in time for the rehearsal dinner that night. I would love to take part of the drive on Highway 1 but am concerned it would take too long? Ideally I would like to drive to San Luis Obispo and from there branch off onto Hwy 1 all the way to Carmel. How long of a drive is this? I have tried going to Mapquest to route it, but it will not show the route including Hwy 1. Please help!

Sinclair Jun 19th, 2003 12:56 PM

The entire drive from LA to Carmel via Highway 1 would take about 6 hours.

Veronica Jun 19th, 2003 04:08 PM

Recently I asked the same question on this board and got:

Santa Monica to Carmel on Hwy 1 would take 10 hours.
Santa Monica to Carmel on Hwy 101 would take 6-1/2 hours.

These numbers sound aboud right to me.

ava Jun 20th, 2003 07:12 AM

thank your for your replies - it seems I hear different time estimates from everyone - I am hoping that the estimate for 6 hours is more realistic! Anyone else actually driven this and want to share?

curmudgeon Jun 20th, 2003 02:20 PM

6 hours seems wildly optimistic to me. LA to SLO via 101 is around 4 hours; If you take the Hwy 1 side loops, probably add an hour. SLO to Carmel depends on how many RVs and acrophobic drivers you have ahead of you, but I'd think 3 hours minimum on hwy 1.

turn_it_on Jun 20th, 2003 03:34 PM

I drive from the San Fernando Valley to SLO about once a month early on a Saturday morning, and including a short rest stop in Gaviota, driving about 70 mph, it takes me exactly three hours every time. From SLO to Carmel up Hwy 1, I don't know.

love
roxy

iona Jun 22nd, 2003 04:49 PM

My husband and I JUST did this drive over a long weekend, with a slight difference. We drove from the LAX area to Cambria, where we stayed for 3 nights. You get to Cambria by exiting the 101 at San Luis Obispo and then taking Hwy 1. We've done this several times before and it always takes us about 4 hours, allowing for slowing of traffic around Oxnard and Santa Barbara. On Friday, we drove from Cambria to Carmel on Highway 1. It was AMAZING! Again, allowing for some slowing in a couple areas and the absolute need to stop and snap a couple pictures, it took us about 3 hours. The drive back from Carmel only took about 2 hours and 15 minutes, but the traffic was nonexistent and we didn't stop for pictures. So, if you leave LA EARLY on Friday morning, you can do this drive in 7-8 1/2 hours. Keep in mind, that the drive from north of San Simeon to Carmel is stunning, but requires concentration. It also makes you a little nauseous, but is well worth it!