drive Grand Canyon to Colorado Springs?

Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

drive Grand Canyon to Colorado Springs?

I am wondering whether it makes sense to drive from the Grand Canyon to Colorado Springs. It's about 600 miles, I think. We have already booked flights to Las Vegas on 20 May and are leaving for home from Colorado Springs on 1st June. We are not interested in spending much time in Vegas itself, but may do some day trips from there & stay one or two nights. We want to see the GC, & hope to do some hiking there. Then we plan to visit relatives in Colorado Springs. I had thought of driving but now that I'm looking for rates, most companies charge an extra $300 or more for one way car hire. So now I'm wondering whether it would be better to stay in Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon area for 3 or 4 days, return the car, & then fly ($75 one way) from Vegas to CS. There are four of us adult family members travelling together. I also checked hiring an RV, which is fairly pricey. Anyone done the trip by road? Is it a pleasant drive? I'd love to go by rail too, but that doesn't seem to be available. Any comments appreciated, thanks.
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:39 AM

I don't think they would charge $300. There would be a lot to see along the route. I could easily list 2 weeks worth. If you plan on staying at the Grand Canyon and other places along the way you should make reservations NOW. $75 airfare is very reasonable. If you are just visiting friends then fly. If you want to enjoy Utah, Arizona, and Colorado then drive.
Mar 10th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Europcar (in US!) charge about $250 on the Cobalt, but they have less choice than if I return the car to Vegas, other companies charge $300, $310, up to $400. Perhaps we'll just go back to Vegas & fly. It's our first time west of NY so everything will be new to us anyway.
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM

On what airline can you fly for $75?
Mar 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM

If you do drive, a great stop in between is to see the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde in the southwest corner of CO. They are truly fascinating!
Mar 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Sorry sf7307 I didn't see the question until now. www.southwest.com gives some fares at $74 + tax Vegas to Denver, about $85 in total as far as I can work out. ("wanna get away" fares) Kayak.com site gives me euro pricing, with several around €74, probably about US $100, Frontier, United & Delta all have this price on some flights Las Vegas to Colorado Springs, usually change in Denver, but for some reason Las Vegas to Denver seems to cost more on the same flight. Maybe it's me. Still undecided about driving the whole way.
Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

So anyway all went well, we had a wonderful trip. We stayed one night in Vegas, which was plenty, then went to collect the hire car. Hertz must have had no Ford Focus cars left, so they upgraded us to a larger Toyota Camry, which was great as the four of us brought all our luggage for the first 5 days. The car hire was probably much better than flying as we saw so much more. Not much time to view the Hoover dam (& amazing new bridge), so on to Williams and the Canyon, (South Rim) & a magnificent sunset. Wife & I walked to bottom the next day, (yes we carried plenty of water!) but our son had a bug so he stayed up on top with his granny. A great day for us. We had booked two nights, but ended up spending an extra night & day there (we stayed in Maswik Lodge).
Sunday drove on toward Colorado & stayed in Ute Hotel, spent Monday in Mesa Verdi; very interesting. While there I phoned Durango & booked a train ride, Tuesday drove to Durango & enjoyed the steam train to Silverton, 2 of us went up & the other 2 went by car, we swapped tickets in Silverton so all 4 of us enjoyed the train trip. Mind you I thin the trip up was better, as we had all the commentary. On to Pagosa Springs & a great bargain of a hotel. Not luxury, but fine, clean, included use of swimming pool & a self-serve breakfast, all for $106 for 4 people (including a pull-out bed). Wednesday on over the Continental Divide to Woodland Park and stayed with my wife's uncle for a few nights. Plenty to do around there, we did the train up Pike's peak, and a day at Royal Gorge. Cave of the Winds was ok, but a bit pricey, and we've seen more interesting caves in Europe. But the Garden of the Gods was wonderful (& free). Also Seven Falls, and we just loved the whole area. If we can, we'll be back
Dec 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks so much for your follow up and glad you enjoyed your trip! We hope you'll get a chance to return.
Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the follow up. Glad you decided to drive and had a grand trip.
Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the followup! Glad you decided to see some more of America! Not enough people do!

Search this Thread