Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Drive from Tampa to Cincinnati--any interesting sites in between? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/drive-from-tampa-to-cincinnati-any-interesting-sites-in-between-201278/)

kris Apr 17th, 2002 06:54 AM

Drive from Tampa to Cincinnati--any interesting sites in between?

Hi-my family and I area planning a road trip to visit relatives in Cincinnati. Are there any interesting things to see and do along the way from Tampa? We'll have about 7 days for the whole trip, so it can't be far off our path. We're only spending one night in Cincinnati, so we've saved the rest of the driving trip to be able to explore different areas. We'll be driving through Georgia and Kentucky, and maybe a little in Tennessee. Thanks!

Atlas Apr 17th, 2002 07:43 AM

"MAYBE a little in TN"??????????<BR><BR>How are you going to jump from GA to KY without going THROUGH TN?

CF Apr 17th, 2002 07:51 AM

If you drive along the panhandle of FL on I-10, there are some nice beaches and Seaside and stuff like that. Head up I-65 and you get Nashville, Mammoth KY, Ft. Knox is just a short side trip. Then take the interstate that goes thru Louisville and into Cincy.(can't remember the number right this sec)

Big Red Apr 17th, 2002 07:57 AM

Atlas is correct. You'll have to go through TN....However, I will give you some options.<BR><BR>I'm assuming you'll be on I-75.<BR><BR>I'm not that familiar with GA.<BR><BR>In TN, you'll pass through Chattanooga. Stop for the "choo-choo". ALso the Tenn State Aquarium is there. Very nice.<BR><BR>Knoxville is pretty cool...you may want to take a side trip over the the Gatlinburg/SMoky Mtns from there.<BR><BR>In KY, stop in Corbin at the 1st KFC (a.k.a. Kentucky Fried Chicken)....it's called the Sanders Cafe. Very kitchy and a little wierd.<BR><BR>While in this area, go to Cumberland Falls State Park and see the moonbow (one of one 2 places in the world to do this) if it's the right lunar phase. (Chech KY's State park website)<BR><BR>Berea KY is cool if you're into crafts.<BR><BR>Lexington is horses and rich people's farms. Very beautiful. Lexington's Horse Park is very nice.

Atlas Apr 17th, 2002 07:59 AM

Hey CF...<BR><BR>You're taking him 300 miles out of the way. You can't get on I-65 from I-10 until you're in Alabama.<BR><BR>Amnd then back along I-71 from Louisville to Cincy, whick=h is one of the worse interstates in the country.<BR><BR>Go with Big Red...go on I-75

linda Apr 17th, 2002 08:17 AM

I-75 will take you through horse country in Lexington. You might want to stop at the Ky Horse Park. However, you'll be nowhere near Louisville or Mammoth Cave (I-65). The Newport Aquarium is across the river from Cinci- my kids loved that. They may enjoy the Smokies....alas it will be crowded as hell in the summer with terrible traffic. It can take you over an hour and a half to just get in the city of Gatlinburg from the interstate and longer to get back!Trust me- I've been there many times.

kris Apr 17th, 2002 09:39 AM

Oops--sorry about the Tenn. mistake. Geography was never my strong area. :) We're thinking of going late May, early June. Will the roads be crowded then?

CF Apr 17th, 2002 02:49 PM

Right Atlas, but if you get on 65, then switch to 75 it's a straight shot to Cincy. I live in Ohio, been there, dun that, bought the shirt....

helen Apr 17th, 2002 03:11 PM

Stop in Chattanooga and take the funicular rail to the top of Lookout Mountain. It's a historical Civil War site.

lmsa_mc Apr 17th, 2002 03:31 PM

Kentucky is one of the most underrated vacation states. There are so many beautiful places. <BR>Natural Bridge State Park (nice lodge)<BR><BR>Cumberland Falls State Park (nice cabins)<BR><BR>Many beautiful and interesting distilleries (including the most beautiful, Maker's Mark in Lorretto), and Wild Turkey in Lawrenceburg<BR><BR>Frankfort the capitol with one of the most impressive capitol buildings in the US and a wonderful historic cemetary with Daniel Boone's grave. Also a brand new Kentucky history museum.<BR><BR>The horse farms of Lexington. Just drive around Paris and Versailles (Kentucky that is!) Beautiful farms.<BR><BR>The Kentucky Horse Park in Georgetown and also the Toyota plant. (Make reservations in advance.)<BR><BR>Boonesboro and Whitehall plantation. Great for kids.<BR><BR>All this and more not very far off I-75!<BR>I'm not from Kentucky but love to visit any time! <BR>

Randy Apr 17th, 2002 03:37 PM

Georgia offers several neat things to do off I-75...only 1 hr off 75 is Plains and Jimmy Carter's home.Macon offer's old homes and Ga Music Hall of fame...Lake Allatoona SP is north of ATL,very pretty and only 10 miles off 75.Carnesville,offers Barnsely Gardens,and see AccessAtlanta.com for the best ATL info.

Randy Apr 17th, 2002 03:45 PM

Georgia offers several neat things to do off I-75...only 1 hr off 75 is Plains and Jimmy Carter's home.Macon offer's old homes and Ga Music Hall of fame...Lake Allatoona SP is north of ATL,very pretty and only 10 miles off 75.Carnesville,offers Barnsely Gardens,and see AccessAtlanta.com for the best ATL info.

kris Apr 26th, 2002 07:19 AM

Thank you all for your replies. If anyone else has other suggestions, keep them coming! You all have been very helpful.

kentucky blue Apr 26th, 2002 07:54 AM

Kris, keep an eye on your kids when you reach Cincinnati.<BR><BR>http://www.citybeat.com/current/news.shtml<BR>

Brian Kilgore Apr 26th, 2002 08:32 AM

If it was my family and the kids were at least about 10, I'd take the CNN studio tour in Atlanata.<BR><BR>BAK

kris Apr 29th, 2002 07:07 AM

I should have clarified--we are all adults. Does that change anyone's suggestions or add anymore ideas?

Lori May 9th, 2002 11:31 AM

Not sure if my opinion will be relevant... you didn't state when you would be travelling. But I would like to mention Mammoth Cave in KY (off I-65?) and Lookout Mountain are not to be missed. During the summer, I believe reservations are recommended at Mammoth Cave, but it really is worth the stop. Also, Lookout Mountain has several attraction that are aimed at kids, but Rock City is, in my opinion, the best. The views are amazing, and you don't have to be a kid to appreciate the natural wonders there. Once, we even stayed in a quaint cottage on the mountain... very fun.