Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Drive from SC to CO (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/drive-from-sc-to-co-1622494/)

AWPhelps Dec 18th, 2017 12:45 PM

Drive from SC to CO

In January my 18 year old son and I are driving from Bluffton, SC to Ft. Carson for him to report to his 1st duty station. We will be taking the southerly route through GA, AL, MS, AK, OK a bit of KA and up through CO. We have 4 days to make the trip and would love any suggestions of unusual or historical places to see, eat, and stay.

tomfuller Dec 18th, 2017 03:59 PM

If you can make it to Memphis (10 hours), it will make the next 2 days a little easier. See Beale Street at a minimum in Memphis. The Arcade restaurant on Main St. across from the train station was a hangout for Elvis.

AWPhelps Dec 18th, 2017 05:27 PM

Thank you, Tom! Memphis was my goal for day one, so glad to hear it's a good plan:) We may get there kind of late, but I figure there will still be a lot going on.

StacyB Dec 19th, 2017 06:44 AM

I drove across the country with my son when he was about 23. It's a great memory for me. We had a rule that we would stop to see one sight along the way--such as a state capitol building or another place such as a giant ball of string. It was fun to research our next destination while driving--gave us a change from music. We also ate and drank locally each night. We enjoyed local beer from all over. Have fun during your drive.

fmpden Dec 19th, 2017 09:20 AM

You will need to watch the weather - especially in Colorado. We are all getting a little nervous about winter. We have had an abnormally warm fall/early winter with no snow. Our concern is that these things tend to balance over time. No snow now may mean lots of snow and cold later. You might a little extra time at the end to adjust to any weather conditions.

AWPhelps Dec 21st, 2017 04:46 PM

Thank you all for your input! I'm excited - and nervous! We've both grown up on a small island in the south east, so we've never driven in snow! Hopefully it'll hold off until we're there :)

fmpden Dec 21st, 2017 05:58 PM

Then make sure you have very good, all weather tires with plenty of tread on the tire or park it. Driving in and on snow is an acquired skill. Fortunately Fort Carson and the Colorado Springs area tend to have less snow.

Gretchen Dec 22nd, 2017 06:35 AM

What fmpden says is true--watch the weather forecast 5 days out from your start. I drove to Denver one time and in the space of a day encountered icy roads and had to stop in Kansas. It can happen in a very short time.

AWPhelps Dec 26th, 2017 11:51 PM

Thank you for all the safety info! Do you all have a favorite weather app that you feel is most accurate out there?

Gretchen Dec 27th, 2017 03:00 AM

weather.com on the TV!!

Nelson Dec 27th, 2017 09:17 AM

Unfortunately the Colorado Department of Transportation does not seem to have an official app. (Wyoming has an excellent one).

But here's the CDOT webpage:
http://cotrip.org/home.htm

The Interactive Map Road Conditions link will give you good current information. Note how you can filter by region or highway once the map is up. I'd keep that handy.

But as noted above keep an eye on the forecast and adjust your route if necessary. Sometimes snowfalls are localized and a difference of 50-100 miles can be be huge.

Good luck!

fmpden Dec 30th, 2017 08:55 PM

You can get a huge difference in 5 miles especially if you are going up hill. And watch wind direction. Winds from the east (NE, SE) can bring heavy snows on the east side of the divide.

bailey123 Jan 1st, 2018 08:20 PM

NOAA.gov is the best forecasting for weather. I rely on NOAA in combination with Cotrip.org for road condition reports in CO

AWPhelps Jan 2nd, 2018 04:10 AM

Thanks for all the great advise! We’ve made it to Birmingham and are aiming for Oklahoma City tomorrow. Any special things we need to see on this leg of the trip?

Gretchen Jan 2nd, 2018 05:21 AM

Check your antifreeze

fmpden Jan 2nd, 2018 07:46 AM

Looks like you may get a break. We have been unusually cold for the past few days but a break is forecast for the weekend in the mid 50s. No snow.

Bitter Jan 3rd, 2018 07:30 AM

OKC has a nice arts district. Bricktown is touristy but nicely designed. Probably not best time of year to visit either, though. What parts of Kansas do you think you'll hit?

Gretchen Jan 3rd, 2018 07:41 AM

You left Bluffton just in time--3" of snow is projected!! Talk about places not ready for that!! LOL

tomfuller Jan 3rd, 2018 07:48 AM

If you're on I-70 in western Kansas, the oldest geocache on earth is off the Mingo exit (SE of Colby).