Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Drive from Las Vegas to Houston or take more time in NV/UT and fly?

Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

A friend and I are gong to the US in October. We will be going to a conference in Houston and have decided that we would like to see Las Vegas too, before we head to Texas. When we were planning we had thought that we would drive down to Houston over about 4/5 days. But having seen the huge rental car charges for returning the car in a different state and just how long a drive it is, I'm wondering if this is the right way to go. Would we be better having our few days in LV, hiring a car and visiting the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce and then flying down to Houston?

What will the weather be like at the end of Oct? Could we face road closures due to snow that early?

Would love to hear your advice - many thanks! Laura
Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:03 AM

I've actually made the drive from Vegas to Houston, and I will state categorically that a large percentage of it is dullest driving I ever would want to avoid. More specifically, the 979 miles on I-10 from Phoenix to San Antonio (yes, I went to Mapquest to check) would include almost nothing worth the boredom you will experience doing this drive. Yes, there's Tuscon, Carlsbad Caverns, and White Sands -- but these highlights are NOT worth doing this drive.

> Could we face road closures due to snow that early?
Plain and simple, no.

> Would we be better having our few days in LV, hiring a car and visiting
> the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce and then flying down to Houston?

Plain and simple, yes.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM

I lean towards doing a loop from Vegas and flying. There is lots to see in Arizona and New Mexico along the way, but the time you have wouldn't leave much time to explore the parks.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM

Considering the drop off fee you are much better off flying to LV renting the car seeing what you can see, returning the car and flying to Houston.
There are many other things to see using LV as a base if the parks you mention get an early snow.
Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire and Hoover Dam/Lake Mead are good alternates.
Predicting the weather in Utah that far in advance is dicey.
The other National Park you can get to from Las Vegas is Death Valley. Death Valley has some places that you might enjoy such as the Badwater Basin which is the lowest point in the US (-282 feet). I can assure you there will be no snow there.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM

By all means do as many of the National Parks as you can. You could do Carlsbad Cavern, if you decided to drive. I have driven close to the route you mention and it is terribly boring. Really your best option is to fly into Vegas and see what you can see from there.

We never spend more than a day in Vegas, that's about all of it we can take. The Grand Canyon, does have the most "wow factor", but we like Utahs parks much much more. Plan on spending a day at GC and then 2-3 days at your other spots. Mid to late October can be really nice fall folliage in Utah. How many days would you have in Las Vegas/ UT if you fly?
Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We would have about a week before we have to be in Houston.

Laura
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Just spoke with my friend and we will fly. How many days would we need to see Page, Bryce, Zion and GC? We would like 3 days in LV itself. What do you think?
Thanks, Laura
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM

How much hiking you want to do will determine how much time you will need to spend in each park.

Zion is only about 3 hrs drive from Vegas, so for a quick trip you could drive there, spend the afternoon and take a short hike, spend the night and the next day until after lunch then drive to Bryce. Bryce is about 85 miles from Zion, so you could be there for sunset, spend the night, look at the sunrise, take a morning hike, drive to Page spend the night there. Go to Antelope canyon and the dam and VC and horseshoe bend and then head out for GC south rim for the night. Spend the day in GC then head back for Vegas. That's your 4/5 days and although it would be nice to spend more time, a little is better than nothing.

I'm assuming that north rim will be closed when you go there. Also, do get started as early as you can in the morning as days are getting short in October.

Have a fantastic trip.