Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Drive from Kansas City to New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/drive-from-kansas-city-to-new-york-city-815892/)

sharona555 Nov 28th, 2009 05:05 AM

Drive from Kansas City to New York City

Hi folks! I'm driving from Kansas City to New York in 2 days. I was wondering which cities we should stop at / stay over for a night. We haven't been to any of the cities between Kansas City and New York. Any suggestions? One additional piece of info is that we'll be starting our drive on New Years day...not sure if any of these cities will have much going on on 1/1! thanks much!

rkkwan Nov 28th, 2009 09:05 AM

KC to NYC is 1,200 miles and basically 2 full days of driving. I don't think you can and should plan on visiting any place, even if weather is fine.

Just drive straight and overnight after passing Columbus, Oh; which is just over half-way.

nytraveler Nov 28th, 2009 09:52 AM

Not sure where you will stay in NYC but the Travel Inn - on the far west side near 42 St has the only free parking in NYC.

January hotels rates will be very low - and there's a good chance of getting a deal on Priceline - as long as there aren;t more than 2 people - but hotel parking can easily be $40 per night (and street parking isn;t possible) - so you will need to figure that in.

Agree that 100 miles in 2 days doesn;t leave much time for sightseeing.

boom_boom Nov 28th, 2009 11:11 AM

IF you get a really early start the first day you might have time for a stop at the St. Louis Arch, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Musuem or Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB near Dayton.
Second day possible include the Carriage House Glass Museum in Wheeling, WVA and the National Civil Way Museum in Harrisburg, PA.
BUT, I agree with rkkwan that you'll have to drive early and late and avoid traffic issues to be able to take any substantial time away from the Interstate between your two points.

azzure Nov 28th, 2009 11:19 AM

On our cross-country trip, we stayed in Lancaster, PA and visited Amish country the day before we drove to NYC. FYI, another hint: we parked at the ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ; it was very reasonable and convenient for getting into the city.

dfr4848 Nov 30th, 2009 06:41 AM

Agree with rkkwan. If you're limiting yourself to 2 days for that trip (especially in winter) you'll not have much time to stop and see much of anything. If you stop in Columbus (good suggestion) a lot of hotels on I-70 east of town aren't particularly good IMO. Suggest you stay in Easton area just north of the airport on I-270. Some very nice properties (Hilton, Marriott, etc) and we've gotten some very good rates.

Mindy_Gehrt Dec 14th, 2010 08:59 AM

Planning to travel to NY from Kansas City for the Kansas State Pinstripe Bowl game. It sounds like your trip should be over now. How was the drive. Worried about the weather December 27!

lindy27 Dec 14th, 2010 09:13 AM

Hey Mindy_gehrt, just saw this comment. We are also going for the Bowl, but we're flying (had some vouchers to use). It'll be a long trip and depend a lot on weather, it could be clear or it could be snowing the whole way. It will take at least 2 days with good weather. Maybe have an extra day to play with incase there are weather issues?
Good luck!