Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Drive from Grand Canyon to LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/drive-from-grand-canyon-to-la-1384435/)

WhimsyTraveller Jun 8th, 2017 10:42 AM

Drive from Grand Canyon to LA

Hi,

We (me and my husband) will be travelling by car from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon and plan to stay one night.

The next day we would like to head back to Los Angeles in the day. We are going to Grand Canyon on 13th July and leaving for LA on 14th July.

1) What is the best route to LA from Grand Canyon and what city would we stop by or if we want to stop at overnight (if possible)

2) Would appreciate help/suggestions any activity suggestions for Grand Canyon

We would be interested in seeing natural wonders or some semblance of old time America on our way back to LA from Grand Canyon

Thanks

tomfuller Jun 8th, 2017 11:43 AM

Your car or a Las Vegas rental car?
My favorite would be the Amtrak Southwest Chief overnight from Williams to Los Angeles.
If you wanted to go further by car than LV on the return, stay in Primm NV and not Barstow.
Be sure to see Hoover dam either going to or coming back from the Grand Canyon.
The National Trails Highway (former US 66) is as old time America as it gets.

WhimsyTraveller Jun 8th, 2017 12:09 PM

We will get a rental car from Las Vegas to go to Grand Canyon and from there to LA. We are planning to visit the Hoover Dam on our way to Grand Canyon.
Is there any interesting restaurants to eat on the way?

"The National Trails Highway (former US 66) is as old time America as it gets." - Is it US 95 S and I 10 highway that you are mentioning?

emalloy Jun 8th, 2017 12:14 PM

There is a section of rt 66 that you can get to just west of Kingman off I-40. It is really neat and goes through Oatman, AZ, a slightly, well really, tacky town with burros in the street and some of the original buildings.

Patty Jun 8th, 2017 12:26 PM

Las Vegas and Primm aren't on the most direct route to LA. Mojave and Joshua Tree are interesting but will be very hot in July. A longer but scenic route through Sedona, Jerome and Prescott is nice if you haven't been to those areas already. I would only choose this route if you plan to overnight somewhere.

WhimsyTraveller Jun 8th, 2017 01:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

We am planning to take the route: Grand Canyon----Williamz----Seligman----Kingman-----Oatzman----LA

1)If I do this route do we need to take a night stay somewhere?

2) How is Road Kill Cafe?

3) Do i need to take detour for gas?

ElendilPickle Jun 8th, 2017 02:57 PM

You can easily drive from the Grand Canyon to Los Angeles in a day. It's a pretty straight shot on I-40, then I-15 into the LA metro area.

Only spend the night along the route if you really want to.

There are plenty of places right along the freeway to get gas; your best deals will most likely be at the Flying Js in Kingman or Barstow.

Lee Ann