Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a B&B that you enjoyed in the historic district of Charleston, So. Carlolina that is around $150 a night or under?

Can you recommend a B&B that you enjoyed in the historic district of Charleston, So. Carlolina that is around $150 a night or under?

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 09:53 AM
Toni

We will be in Charleston the first 4 nights of a 10 day vacation (May 22) to So. Carolina & Savannah for visiting the historic sites and golf. Can you recommend a B&B with rates under 150. that is in the middle of the historic district so that we wouldn't have to walk to much. (One 1/2 of a couple just had knee surgery)
Thank you for any info you can provide.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 11:59 AM
Amy

I am not sure of the rates - but, the Indigo Inn is lovely. You may want to contact them & if it is too pricey - they could probably point you in the right direction. Enjoy! Charleston is a great city.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 02:38 PM
Mike Hall

My wife & I stayed at the Cannonboro Inn. It was great. You can find it on the web.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 05:45 AM
kate

Good recommendations, also try the Vendue Inn, not sure of the cost. Have fun, I LOVE Charleston and the low country.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 08:22 AM
Toni

Has anyone stayed at The King George IV Inn in Charleston. It's at 32 George Street one signal light below Calhoun between King and Meeting. I don't Charleston at all...is this a good location? The man I spoke with on the phone couldn't have been friendlier.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 08:42 AM
PAIGE DEAL

Contact Historic Charleston Bed and Breakfast, which is a reservation service and can set you up in a private home right in the middle of the historic district. We have gone through them numerous times and have always been delighted at our accommodations, which are convenient and extremely comfortable without being too expensive. Their toll-free number is 1-800-743-3583.

I would not recommend the King Charles Inn if you are not wanting to walk far. It is a very nice place and wonderful in its own way, but is several blocks to walk to get to the historic area/the market/etc.

By the way, make reservations at Garibaldi's on the market and order their crispy flounder. It is their signature dish and my favorite meal in the whole world.

Enjoy yourselves. It is a gorgeous city.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 09:56 AM
Beth

I also stayed at the Vendue Inn several years ago. It is not exactly a B&B, but a small hotel. You have charm but without the intrusion of the other roomers (some people do consider it intrusion, I love swapping stories over breakfast). I just checked the website, and rooms begin at $125. It was (and is) a beautiful place and in the midst of most of what one might want to see. Check out the website.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 09:07 AM
missy

Has anyone stayed at the Charleston Governor's House? Is is in a good location and is it nice? The woman I spoke with was very helpful and nice. I am heading to Charleston at the end of March and want to make it a memorable experience.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Debbie

Toni-can recommend the Ashley Inn-just on the outskirts of downtown Charleston (they can provide bicycles if you don't want to drive into down), and only a few minutes drive to the Citadel. Very peaceful, quiet and beautiful. The daily, fully-cooked breakfasts are out of this world. Enjoy Charleston-it's beautiful !!

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:36 AM
elaine

Missy,

We stayed at Governor's House Inn last May. When returning to Charleston we would most definitely stay there again...the property is beautiful and very well located in the historic district. Enjoy your trip to Charleston!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:00 PM
missy

Elaine,
Thanks for the confirmation. My husband and I are headed there at the end of March for four days and the website looked very nice. I am looking forward to getting away and leaving my five month old and twin three year olds three children for the first time in a long time. I am glad that the Inn is in a good area for walking.