Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Fransico Hotel choices....how far down Monterey should we go?

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 04:48 AM
Chad

Has anyone stayed at the Chancellor Hotel, Galleria Park Hotel, or the Hotel Monaco? If you know all three which is the best for a friday and sat. stay? Suggestions? Also, we are heading down the third morning of our stay to the Monterey area. We only have time for an overnight stay. How far down the coast should we go?..where should we stay?...Is Big Sir too far?..Thanks for any suggestions.

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 05:27 AM
Nita

Monterrey - go south of Carmel at least as far as south side of Bixby bridge. We took beautiful pictures there. We drove on to a famous restaurant (Nepenthe, maybe, can't remember).
By then the road is more inland and not along the coast, so not as pretty to us.

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 06:51 AM
Owen O'Neill

The restaurant in question IS called Nepenthe and is definitely worth a stop - the view there is incredible!

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 11:15 AM
Ron Craig

Don't know about the SF Hotels but as for Monterey,
it is so sad that you only have one day for that
part of the trip. You should try and visit Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, then drive down Cannery Row, with more time you could visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium (http://www.mbayaq.org) then drive through Pacific Grove on the ocean drive. A ride on the 17 Mile Drive (runs $6.50, I think) is absolutely a must. Stop and visit Carmel Beach, take a quick walk up the hill into Carmel itself. Head down to Carmel Valley, the Carmel Mission, run down to Pt. Lobos State Preserve and then go on down through Big Sur. Bixby Bridge is a neat spot to shoot some pics, but then, just about anywhere along that drive is a great spot for pictures. I wish you really could allot more time for that part of the trip. Being an old country boy I don't like SF more than to drive through. We're from PA and have family out there so we get to go out each year and we love the Monterey area as you might be able to tell. You are welcome to send me a message if you need any other suggestions for that area. Have a great time (you didn't mention when you were planning the trip, but then almost any time is fine). Ron

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 02:13 PM
Shelly Reichel

Just returned from the Hotel Monaco - it's wonderful. The other hotels do not come close to the ambience of the Monaco. It's small, beatifully and uniquely decorated and offers a very personal level of service. I highly recommend it.
Shelly

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 02:44 PM
Sally

If you drive down Rt. 1 south to Big Sur, they are still working on the roads, and there are VERY long waits. I just got back from the area, and there are five places where it's down to 1 lane. At one spot we waited almost 1/2 hour. But of course, it's beautiful. Nepenthe is nice, but it ain't cheap. $10.75 for a hamburger!

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 08:40 PM
raeona

well...looks like you are 2 for 2. Don't know about the Monaco, but we stayed at the Chancellor this spring and liked it very much. Smallish rooms...but very, very pleasant...and felt we got our money's worth for the accommodations/location ($120/nite, i think). Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 08:40 PM
raeona

well...looks like you are 2 for 2. Don't know about the Monaco, but we stayed at the Chancellor this spring and liked it very much. Smallish rooms...but very, very pleasant...and felt we got our money's worth for the accommodations/location ($120/nite, i think). Enjoy your trip!