Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Drive From Bryce to Moab, where to stop for the night?

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi family of four are hiking the morning until afternoon in Bryce canyon, then want to depart towards Moab for the Arches. but the drive looks too long to go all the way to Moab and we do not want to be driving at night. Any suggestions where we can stop for the night? Town and accomodations, hotel , motel, Inn? Maybe somewhere 1/2 way? Two children 8 and 12.
maps shows two ways to get there? Route 89 to route 70 looks faster?
Or route 22 to 62, Etc?

Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

just did some more research what do you think of stopping in Torrey for the night?
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Rte 89 & 70 is faster but you won't drive on the famous Rte 12.

There are some sights along the way if you want to spend a day doing the drive.

Devils Garden Escalante. The kids would have fun there.

Lower Calf Creek Falls if you want a bit of a hike.

Goblin valley State Park is a less grown up version of Devils Garden. The kids will definitely have fun climbing all over the rock formations there.

If you want to do this I'd definitiely stay in Torrey.

For Bryce I would get up very early in the morning and go to Bryce Point for a spectacular sunrise. Then maybe get a bit more sleep, grab a byte and hike Navajo Loop down and Queens Garden back up. You could easily be ready to leave by bery early afternoon.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Just checked Mapquest from Tropic (Just outside Bryce) to Green River is 3.6 hours using US 89 and I-70. The much more scenic route is Route 12 and it takes 4.3 hours. I never stayed in Torrey but I did spend a few nights at the Robbers Roost motel in Green River.
As long as you leave Bryce by 2PM you should have no worries getting to Green River by dark unless you spend more than an hour at Goblin Valley SP or Capitol Reef NP.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
However, if you go to devils Garden Escalante and/or Lower Calf Creek Falls, you may want to stay over in Boulder (UT).
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Route 12 is one of the most scenic highways in Utah. I suggest you spend the night in Torrey (114 miles/2:26) and drive from there to Arches NP (150 miles/2:40).

In Torrey we stay at the Best Western in a room with a balcony (not a terrace) and mountain view. They offer a very good buffet breakfast in a cheerful dining room for an additional charge.

HTTY
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Torrey @ Austin's Chuckwagon. Get pie for breakfast in Capitol Reef National park at the Gifford House. The pies arrive at 8:00AM. Dine with deer at the picnic area under the two huge trees right next to the Gifford House.

DO NOT MISS Goblin Valley on your way to Moab.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 09:44 PM

NYmikey, taking Scenic Byway Utah 12 and spending the night in Torrey is the obvious choice. At least it was for me in planning for a trip in September (but we are going in the other direction - spending the morning in Capitol Reef and then all afternoon for highway 12 down to Bryce).

spirobulldog could you tell us more about Austin's Chuckwagon. I booked a 2BR cabin there, asked for a quiet one, and she put us in a cabin near the lodge.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM

Austin's isn't anything great. It is clean. We have stayed there on 2 different occasions. I think it is about the best you will do in Torrey(unless you like the B&B type places).
I don't think you will find it plenty quiet enough. I think we stayed in their standard rooms, not the cabins both trips. I think the cabins would be a step up.

They do have a really good little store and deli(great for making a picnic lunch sandwich) on the property too. There is a laundrymat there also.

Torrey is a very small town with not many options for eating.
I would eat a Boulder Mounter at Hell's Backbone Grill or in Torrey at Cafe Diablo(known for the presentation really as much as their food-things are stacked up nice,yet wierd at the same time). For a burger joint try Slackers(get a milkshake here). Notice at all cafe places in Utah they have this pink sauce on the table called Fry Sauce. I think each place is slightly different version of is(catsup, mayo, perhaps mustard, perhaps vinegar, perhaps a dash of hot sauce). It's everywhere in UT and cracks me up for some reason.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:29 AM

I do think you will find it quiet enough*
is what I meant to say
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM

One other thought. You could drive all the way from Bryce to Green River(depending on what all you want to do on the way). I like to see Goblin Valley right before sunset. We stayed in GV, one night until 11:00 just looking at the stars. GV, is a long way from any light source, so the night sky is really good there. Canyonlands and Bryce are both good places to view the night sky too.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM

Sorry for the multiple posts. I see your new here NYmikey.
So, you probably haven't read any of my posts.

I always like to mention www.deserthighlights.com when someone is going to Moab. It's my all time favorite adventure. If you kids like adventure, they would love this. I can't stress how safe it is and how good the guides are. About 2/3 of his business is repeat business. So, you go once and you will more than likely go again at some point. It is a small operation with about 4 or 5 employees.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:55 AM

If you are leaving Bryce in the afternoon then I'd plann of going no farther that Boulder. There is a lot to see on Scenic Highway 12 so you shouldn't rush through. After the town of Escalante is where it gets interesting. You may be hiked out from Bryce so I'd suggest a drive down the Hole-in-the Rock Road 16 miles to the Devil's Garden. No hiking just wandering through hoodoos. Then drive slowly on to Boulder with a stop for a cooling drink at the Kiva Koffehouse along the way. The next day you'll go over Boulder Mountain to Torrey. You can drive the scenic road there or just make a quick stop at the farmhouse or petroglyph boardwalk and Mormon shcoolhouse before continuing on to Moab.

Here's look at out last rip on Mighway 12:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_tr&page=5
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice, this is a fantastic resource sure to make our vacation all the better! Looks like the decision is th hike Bryc in the morning then drive up to Capitol reef in the afternoon and stay the night in Torrey. so with that limited time, and suggestions of the must see stops in Bryce?
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Hike Navajo Loop/Queens Garden Combo Trail or you could do the Horse Ride there in the park. It does the Peek A Boo Trail. It is nice to be able to get down in to the amphitheater/canyon to really see the Hoodoos from that perspective. Either one or both would be great. Drive the entire road(it's a small park) and see various viewpoints. Catch a Sunrise and Sunset. They are worth staying up for.

I know I'm going to get some people who disagree with me on this. But, the next morning from Torrey. Get up and have some pie at The Gifford House at the park picnic area(right next to Gifford House)under the big trees. Check out one of the many orchards. Maybe do the very quick hike to see the petroglyphs/pictographs(i get those confused). This basically leaves you just passing thru Cap Reef and not doing much there, but that is exactly what I would do with the limited time. I really think your kids and you will like Goblin Valley and perhaps even Little Wildhorse Canyon far better on your way to Arches/Moab. Do pack a picnic/snacks/drinks if you decide to do the Goblins though. There is nothing there at all.

I would almost bet that Goblin Valley would be your 8 years olds favorite part of the trip. look at it on youtube. You can pretty much turn them loose and watch them from the Fully Covered viewing area platform. It would be pretty hard to loose them, unless they really wandered off. You can see pretty much everything from the viewing area.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM

It would be hard to Loose and Lose. lol