drive from Atlanta to Savannah

Mar 1st, 2004, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

drive from Atlanta to Savannah

A friend and I will be driving from Atlanta to Savannah. Are there any "must sees" in between? How about a good lunch spot?

Thanks,
teener
Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:43 AM

No x 2.
East of Macon, near Metter, watch your speed. Motorists are a good source of revenue.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM

S. of Atl is Warner-Robbins Air Force Base, outlet malls near there, too.

Off i-16, you could buy onions in Vidalia.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM

The drive between Atl and Sav is quite boring. There are no "sees", not to mention "must sees" along I-16. I-16 refutes the theory that if you build an interstate, development will follow. Once you pass Macon, there is basically nothing until you are very close to Savannah. The few gas stations are typically dirty. Very few places to eat- there is one exit with a couple of fast food places. Plan to have lunch in Macon or when you arrive in Savannah.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:42 PM

Not to sound contentious, but there are a number of exits along I-16 that have fast food. We often stop in Dublin, though nothing of note there. Also, Statesboro, a college town in the middle of nowhere, whose [blues] essence was captured by the Allman Brothers, has typical fare. Reidsville is home to the most notorious Georgia prison, gas stations, fast food emporuims and gnats galore. Agree with the other posters. The interstate after Macon is about 169 miles of badlands. There are a number of towns that strictly enforce traffic laws, especially heading east on Fridays and west on Sundays. Made that drive at least a hundred times. No attraction ever compelled me to stop.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
GoTravel

"Must Sees" between Savannah and Atlanta.

Exit ramps, trees, mile markers, concrete, and speed limit signs.

The most popular must see is your exit.

Boring ride.

Mar 5th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions (?). I guess we'll pack a lunch before we leave Atlanta. You'd think there would be SOMETHING along the way!

Search this Thread