Dress for the Better Restaurants in the Keys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read about some really nice restaurants in the Keys, and we may do one or two while there in October, either in Key Largo or in Key West.

Do people dress for these better restaurants or is it still pretty casual?

Thanks, NannyJan
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I was in Key West a few weeks ago. It's extremely hot & humid, like a wet oven, and therefore very casual.

My group dined at some nice places, and I can't imagine feeling out of place in a nice pair of shorts & collared shirt (and similar footwear).

Did I mention the heat?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I can't speak to the other keys, but in Key West even the most expensive restaurants attract people with shorts and t-shirts. That not only goes for the summer months when it feels like a sauna, but for winter months, too.

"Dressing up" in Key West is shorts with collared shirts - like Gekko says -rather than shorts with t-shirts and flip flops. "Dressing up" for women is pants (rather than shorts) or maybe a sundress.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

What can we expect the last week of October...is it still in the 80's?

On another note, do we need to pre-book any restaurants or sunset and/or snorkeling cruises at that time of year, or can you pretty much book when you get there?

Thanks, Fodorites....

NannyJan
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Gekko, you're lucky. While you were "cooking" away in Key West, we were in midtown Manhattan when it was 94 and 85% humidity -- remarkably like a typical summer day in Key West except for two things:
1) There was no cooling ocean breeze in the evening.
2) You couldn't go to restaurants in shorts and T-shirts!

Nannymere, you should have no problem booking just about any restaurant a day or two before, particularly if you aren't set on an exact time, like 8PM.

October weather is a total guess. Sometimes rainy and rather chilly, sometimes still like an extension of summer. But since it's Fantasy Fest week, you won't notice a thing!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Patrick, there was no breeze in Key West either. NONE. It was truly a wet oven. (So I spent much of my time in and under the tepid but comparatively refreshing water.)

But I'm still glad I wasn't in the city that weekend!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone eaten at Café Solé in Key West? Say hello to Jon for me.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

While we are on the restaurant subject, I am compiling a list of nice, but not overly expensive restaurants in the Key West and Key Largo area. Some of these came from postings on this board, but they are over a year old and I just read the restaurants change in the Keys about as fast as the cruise ships pull in and out.

Can anyone make some current suggestions as to where to dine in these two areas? We are staying our fist night is Islamorada, two nights in Key West and our last three nights in Key Largo. I have also read the guide books, but again, things change quickly...

Thanks, NannyJan
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:36 AM

Ah, the heat and humidity of the Keys. I'll be back in August (yes, August.) To further illustrate how hot and humid it can get, let me give you an example:
On one trip to Key West in late May, my wife and I (who have hiked through many a rain forest in Central America) were having breakfast at around 8:00 am in one of the finer hotel restaurants on the water. We sat outside in the sun. Within ten minutes we had to move to a table inside due to the overwhelming heat. Did I mention this was still May?!? But the Keys are great. Super fun place.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:57 AM

NannyJan - Did you say the last week of October? Yikes!!!! That's Fantasy Fest week in Key West. Prices of accommodations double (or triple), minimum stays are required, and you'll need dinner reservations far in advance.

It'll definitely be casual, though... during Fantasy Fest, some people only dress in body paint!!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Yes, learned about Fantasy Fest after we booked, however, we got in just under the wire as we are in Key West Sat and Sun, October 22nd and 23rd...the rates doubled at The Garden Hotel, I think, on the very next day...so we lucked out!

Most told me that it gets pretty hectic toward the end of the week and we will be long gone and in lazing in Key Largo by then...

However, you are probably right. Restaurants may be pretty crowded...

Thanks, NannyJan