Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dress code for Broadway productions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dress-code-for-broadway-productions-489001/)

tobtoh Dec 3rd, 2004 09:03 AM

Dress code for Broadway productions?

I'm going to be visiting NYC in January and will be seeing Phantom of the Opera (can't wait :-) ). What is the accepted dress code for attending a Broadway production?

ellenem Dec 3rd, 2004 09:10 AM

Clothing. People wear whatever they want and no one throws them out. I'd dress more for the style of restaurant that might come before or after the show.

On the other hand, what do you like to wear for an evening out that will help make the evening feel special and out of the ordinary? A little extra effort can be fun.

Ryan Dec 3rd, 2004 09:10 AM

These days, whatever you want to wear. The days of people dressing up a bit have long since passed.

bob_brown Dec 3rd, 2004 09:13 AM

We went to two performances at the Met in late October. Dress ranged from the ridiculous (floppy jeans) to the sublime (formal dress wear). I honestly think you can wear anything that will not get you arrested!

Standards strike me as having slipped in the last few years. I recall we asked the same question about sitting in the 2nd most expensive seats at the Opera Bastille in Paris. I had my standard outfit of a navy blue coat, dress shirt, tie, and grey slacks. My wife put in a long black dress. We thought we were dressed adequately until we sat down next to a French fellow wearing a formal black T-shirt.
We saw everything from long gowns to mini skirts, and tuxedos to tramp attire.

nytraveler Dec 3rd, 2004 09:16 AM

At a Broadway show you will see everything except swinsuits and formal wear.

Wear whatever you will be comfrtable in.

StanKase Dec 3rd, 2004 09:17 AM

You will feel comfortable as long as it is not jeans or similar, On a Sat. night at a "hot" show-not many now-and you had to pay full price of $95 for orchestra center seats you sometimes feel better in a sport shirt and sport jacket and a dress or up-scale looking blouse and slacks for women. But, it is for you not them.

here_today_gone2Maui Dec 3rd, 2004 09:24 AM

>These days, whatever you want to wear. The days
>of people dressing up a bit have long since passed.

Does anyone else besides me find this kind of sad? I was raised to dress for an occasion and I have raised my daughter the same. Part of the whole theater experience for us is in the planning and prepping. Where to dine, what to wear

nytraveler Dec 3rd, 2004 09:30 AM

Many people now seem not to be able to distinguish between live theater and the movies (and you know the type of ill-bred behaviors you often see there).

IMHO - this is just part of the stupiding of America (and the people who don;t understand why they have to wear not a suit and tie, not a jacket, but a shirt - presumably rather than a t-shirt - not a bare chest - to a 3* restaurant ).

I don;t get it - perhaps I'm becoming a curmudgeon.

here_today_gone2Maui Dec 3rd, 2004 09:33 AM

Ack! posted prematurely! I was going to finish by saying that I miss the days when it was de riguer to dress for the theater. It added something to the whole experience, a bit of elegance. I'm not talking black tie, but at least Sunday best.

But I do think the casualization of theater and oother performances has gone just a bit too far. Last year I was at the ballet and the people next to us brought snacks in their purse. They actually ate pretzels and candies while the Moscow ballet performed. Nothing the crinkle of candy wrappers to compliment Tchaikovsky!

rkkwan Dec 3rd, 2004 09:44 AM

Well, in the 1800's, affluent Paris men go to the Opera and ballets mostly to pick up young women, and not to watch the show. So, while they did dress up while doing that, what we do right now is nowhere as bad.

here_today_gone2Maui Dec 3rd, 2004 10:03 AM

Well, heck, since they didn't have singles bars and trendy gyms in 19th century Paris, of course men had to pick up women at the opera. In my experience, men will be men, and given the opportunity they willl pick up women whenever and wherever they can. I just miss the good old days when they dressed-to-impress while they were scamming.

michelleNYC Dec 3rd, 2004 10:23 AM

I'm with Ellen -- clothing.

k_999_9 Dec 3rd, 2004 12:06 PM

On the practical (as opposed to the fashion) side, one thing you want to avoid is wearing bulky, warm clothing, especially if you're seated in the balcony. It can get fairly warm there, especially in the winter when they pipe up the heat.

Of course, you can wear a warm coat that you can take off, but stuff like heavy sweaters can get uncomfortable.

miguelgcuadra Dec 3rd, 2004 12:07 PM

Was in two shows last month and saw everything. I went for casual elegant clothes and felt really good..am a guy, so nice shoes, nice dressy pants, nice shirt...and my nice coat..am from miami and it was already freezing for me...

milliebz Dec 3rd, 2004 01:21 PM

Take into consideration where you will be and at what time. We went in hot and humid August to see Phantom. We went all the way downtown to our hotel to change clothes (with our two children) and then took a cab back uptown to get to the show in time. I was very disappointed we had taken the time and paid the extra cab fare when I saw what so many people were wearing. Had I known we would not have wasted our time.

bob_brown Dec 3rd, 2004 01:50 PM

If you want to see the latest in fashion statements, visit Paris and then go to Bois de Boulogne after dark.

If you do I have two suggestions.
1. Wear insulation because you might be shocked. 2. Remember the line from HMS Pinafore, "Things are seldom what they seem. Skim milk masquerades as cream."

tobtoh Dec 3rd, 2004 02:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with a lot of the comments about dressing up for the theatre - I too was brought up that way.

Much as I would love to dress up, I think this time I won't be as I'm trying to minimise the amount of clothing I pack for my 3-week trip to the US/UK from Australia.

LoveItaly Dec 3rd, 2004 03:48 PM

tobtoh, I am interested in the advice regarding NY because on our west coast it is the same way. Some dress up, many do not. Had thought east coast was dressier.

You are traveling from Australia, to US and UK. I would definetly not worry about a "special outfit" even though I like you love dressing for special occassion. But I have found in traveling the less the better.

Do have a wonderful trip and enjoy Phantom of the Opera. Safe journey.

TarheelsInNj Dec 5th, 2004 09:02 PM

Enjoy Phantom- it has always been one of my favorites.

I too agree that it is sad that the standards of dress have disappeared. I'm not suggesting black tie is important- but I remember a time that the only people you would see in jeans were children at school matinees (and I remember this as a child!)

Whether on Broadway or at an amateur theatre around the corner, I always try to treat the performance with respect for the performers- that is, wearing the same thing I would wear around the house on a Saturday morning does not honor the work that the actors are devoting to their craft. That is just my opinion, and I would never demand that others agree- I hope this is not taken as insulting! I just feel that if the actors can get up on stage and work hard for me, the least I can do is respect them enough to dress as if I care.

However, as a lifelong lover of the arts (in my personal and professional life), I think that the most important thing, first and foremost, is that people continue to buy tickets, support the arts and see a show in the first place!!

:) (stepping down from my soapbox...)

Birdie Dec 6th, 2004 12:23 PM

It may be warm in the theater but freezing outside. We went to the theater in Jan. once. My husband and son only had on their blazers. We stood in line to enter the theater and froze and then couldn't get a cab so again froze while we walked until we found one. Don't assume that you will walk right into the theater or be able to grab a cab as you walk out the door.