Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dream Vacation for extended family, options wide open, suggestions wanted!!! read on.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dream-vacation-for-extended-family-options-wide-open-suggestions-wanted-read-on-137334/)

edie Jul 8th, 2001 05:36 AM

Dream Vacation for extended family, options wide open, suggestions wanted!!! read on....

ok my mom is turning 60 next May. she wants to take us all on a "dream" family trip to celebrate. the group includes: my parents, age 60, very youthful, me and my two sisters, with our husbands/boyfriend (in our 20's-early 30's) and my sisters baby (depending when we go, about 1 yr old) <BR> <BR>we travel alot as a family, have been to europe, lots of the islands/mexico, on cruises. we are looking for something new. <BR> <BR>this is where you all come in. to decide on a trip, mom wants each of us to submit one idea, and she'll pick. i am thinking of something out west, in the national parks, or something down south, like on one of the islands off Georgia/SC/NC or florida. (the reason i want to stay in the USA is b/c w/the baby we want a shorter plane flight, hopefully w/no connections. also we all have enough mileage to get domestic first class tickets, which would be nice. ) <BR> <BR> <BR>i want to do either rent a luxury level house (with at least 4 bedrooms) or an all inclusive resort. money is pretty much not an issue. any help or suggestions would be great. we are not particularly athletic, but availability to some activities such as golf, fishing boat rentals or charters, obviously a pool or beach is necessary in the south. <BR> <BR>thanks! <BR> <BR>edie

Pfoster Jul 8th, 2001 06:54 AM

May I suggest the Tyler Place in Vermont. This was our 2nd year there and will return every year until our kids say enough. <BR>There are 2 families that come there as a reunion every year. One family is the parents(in their 60') and their 5 children and spouses and grandchildren. <BR>The website is www.tylerplace.com. <BR>It is located on beautiful Lake Champlain and they are only open during the summer months. Everything is included , meals, accomodations, all activities and no tipping allowed. The only thing not included is the alcohol and waterskiing. <BR>They even have personal nannies for the babies under 2 1/2 yrs. <BR>It is the best vacation we have ever taken. The staff is wonderful, beautiful property that is approx 200 acres. Everyone is given a bike for the week to cruise around the resort. There is something for everyone! <BR>This resort is privately owned and small in that they can only accomodate 60 families at any time. <BR>Accomodations are cottages with separate rooms for the kids. <BR>Get on the waitlist now for next summer and you will have a good chance of getting in. <BR>Email me with any other questions.

Laura Jul 8th, 2001 08:00 AM

What about the Outer Banks of NC? If money is not an issue, there are some absolutely GORGEOUS homes available to rent that are right on the beach, have all the amenities you could want (pool, hot tub, two kitchens- one at the pool level, volleyball court,etc.) as well as baby equipment. Some of the rental agencies are better than others, but I would suggest that you try Seaside Realty or Carolina Designs. Areas that I would look at are up in the Northern end which is only accessible by 4-wheel drive (you drive on the beach to get to your home!) or the Pine Island area. Both have some huge homes right on the beach. Let me know if you want some more info on this area. Good luck!

Sal Jul 8th, 2001 08:18 AM

How wonderful for you and your familY! <BR> <BR>I love the west, but I grew up in the south so that's the area I know well. <BR> <BR>The Georga Islands are paradise--good choice. IMO, the best island destinations, to meet your criteria, are the Cloisters on Sea Island and Little St. Simons. They are distinctively different and in a class of their own. <BR> <BR>The Cloisters is a full-service luxury resort. I don't think they have homes as large as you need, but they might. If not, you would be able to rent places side-by-side and they are absolutely beautiful. There is a wonderful spa, and for those who like golf and tennis, it's all there. I believe they also have clay shooting. And of course the beach. Sitters are available. It is typical old South--they even offer a class on manners for children! Off the resort, there are many other activities as well. They are wonderful about arranging special excursions. You are truly pampered. <BR> <BR>Little St. Simons is a private island resort, accessible by ferry. It has three or four wonderful houses. Your meals are included (excellent food) and the guest services are great. The best part is that you can reserve the entire island if it is available. Our family did that several years ago for a small wedding and it was ideal. It was a perfect family destination. <BR> <BR>One suggestion--try to go as early as possible in May if you choose the South. The weather is still pleasantly non-humid at that time of year. <BR> <BR>both resorts have websites, so I would suggest looking into it and see for yourself. Good luck. Let us know who wins!

Beth Jul 8th, 2001 09:46 AM

I'd suggest Bermuda! Many lovely places to choose from, and great time of year. Although I have not been, Santa Fe and N.M. in general are supposedly fabulous - great scenery, restaurants, spas, etc.

Sloane Jul 8th, 2001 09:54 AM

Unless you are talking Hawaii or Alaska I really don't think mainland destinations qualify in the dream category. Sorry I thought I would be blunt. Exploring a new part of Europe would be interesting. There are also places like New Zealand or Australia if you are too overwhelmed by different cultures. If it where me I would be heading to French Polynesia. A lot of people also describe Bali as the most beautiful place on Earth. Sorry I just would not waste this special gift on the mainland US or Mexico for that matter. New Zealand is filled with outdoor activities, camping, and there is not a language barrier if you are intimidated by this. Bottom line, a forum like this will never give you a satisfactory answer you need to supplement your responses with very serious reading. <BR> <BR>My mother was 60, 17 years ago I did not go with her abroad then and now I regret it. We did make a trip to London when she was 75 but she did not enjoy it the way she enjoyed travel during her early 60's. This time goes very quickly don't waste it on a mainland destination. Not to undercut the natural beauty that exist here. It's just that there will be plenty of time to rent a house when they won't get on a trans pacific/atlantic flight. This time comes quicker than you realize. My mother was ballroom dancing weekly, extremely active in her community through out her 60’s. She went on at least one cruise a year and then of course my siblings would travel with her abroad. She ventured down to the Suez Canal and Cairo on her own when she was 62. Now I am lucky to get her to drive to the Jersey Shore. GIVE THEM SOMETHING BIGGER TO RETIRE ON. You could bid on tickets to New Zealand or any place else drastically reducing cost. I have done this and saved 2/3 of the cost and flew very comfortably. Perhaps you should check out the section on this site for family travel. I have been on ten hour flights with children at 1-5-7. We were ok not the nightmare at all. Perhaps you could break up your flight if that overwhelms you. Brassy and perhaps assuming here, I recommend getting your parents idea of big and making your choice there. 17 years down the road you will be happy with your choice, trust me on this one. P.S. www.vacationspot.com is a starting point to see about renting condo’s anywhere in the world. Best of luck. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

jhm Jul 8th, 2001 01:24 PM

Have a wonderful trip wherever you go -- it sounds marvelous. <BR> <BR>If you're thinking house rental, there are some fabulous properties in Hilton Head and Kiawah (SC and GA, respectively). I know many people who have done multi-generational vacations of this kind and have really enjoyed them. There's golf, beaches, biking, nature trails, swimming pools, horseback riding, evening barbecues, etc. etc. Truly lovely. I second the motion for the Cloisters on Sea Island. <BR> <BR>I think the beach would be easier with a baby than would the west -- I was going to suggest Mammoth Hot Springs or perhaps Jenny Lake Lodge, though, as alternatives. If you were horseback riders, I'd say Tanque Verde or Wickenburg Ranch in AZ or The Pointe in Scottsdale AZ, but that doesn't seem to be so fabulous with a baby!

edie Jul 10th, 2001 04:28 AM

thanks everyone for the leads, specifically laura, i'd heard of these awesome houses in your areas, but real estate agent recs are helpful. <BR> <BR>sloane, may i politely tell you to shove it? <BR> <BR>first of all, i don't need your help with cost cutting. to be blunt, as you are,my parents are rich. they could afford to pay full price for all of us for a wonderful trip to new zealand or anywhere for that matter and still have the cost of the trip not impact the other 8-10 weeks of vacation they take each year to italy, the caribbean, etc. <BR> as i said in my post, money was not an object. <BR> <BR>and dream trip is a relative term. for my extended family, we've waited many years and lived thru infertility and miscarriage to have our first grandchild. so the trip that we would have thought of as dreamy ten years ago is vastly different now that we want to accomodate my sister and her newly adopted child. and in the future, we'll be back doing more adventurous travel, when it's more appropriate for us. <BR> <BR>believe me when i tell you that my parents are not going to "retire on this" they are in great health, worked their asses off for their money and are enjoying it every day of their lives, not once a year on a trip. <BR> <BR>more importantly, we are an extremely close family and could have what we term a dream trip by renting a house on the goddamn jersey shore. i say this b.c we enjoy our company, we have a lot of laughs and love and appreciate that without each other, all the money and extravagant trips in the world are nothing. <BR> <BR>also, how f*cking pompous are you to assume we would be intimated by the language or culture barrier and that would be the reason for a domestic trip, when i CLEARLY stated the desire for a shorter plane trip. Can't you read???? <BR> <BR>your post was obnoxious and i can't understand why you bothered to reply to me when you fully ignored my request and then insulted my choices. sorry you have guilt for not travelling with your mom,but my parents and sisters and i make loving happy memories EVERY DAY, and dont' need vacations to do so. sorry you don't have that ability. really, i am. <BR> <BR> <BR>and btw, i'd like to ask the rest of the people on your flight to new zealand w/kids age 1-5-7 if it was a nightmare. i am sure it was for them. <BR>inconsiderate assholes like you give family travel a bad name. <BR> <BR> <BR>

jhm Jul 10th, 2001 05:29 AM

In terms of being "inconsiderate," insulting someone with profane language on a public message board when she was trying to give you helpful advice -- not to insult or offend you as you seemed to gather -- certainly qualifies.

Mo Jul 10th, 2001 05:35 AM

Edie - - YOU are the rude one!! I agree with Sloane: when you say "dream" vacation, I would not consider anything on the mainland. Hawaii immediately comes to mind. As far as the money: you were the one saying you could use frequent flyer miles, which sounds like you are trying to save and don't have enough money to pay for first class. Maybe you didn't say what you thought you were saying in your original post. People read things differently. I thought Sloan gave a wonderful response. I suggest YOU take your parents money and SHOVE IT UP YOURS!!!!

Nothanks Jul 10th, 2001 05:40 AM

Edie, you are a pompous a$$hole! I hope your lovely family trip and your parents money have an awful time. You sound like a spoiled rich kid that needs a good spanking!!! Sloane, you gave great advice. Edie should stay away from message boards. What a thankless pompous a$$!!!!!!!

nobody Jul 10th, 2001 05:46 AM

EDIE: sounds like the "dream" vacation for the rest of your family would be if you stayed home......

who Jul 10th, 2001 05:52 AM

Geeeeeeeezzzzz!!!!!!!! Did Edie get up on the wrong side of the bed or what? Being cruel to people that are trying to help will get you no where. May I suggest a biker bar in Detroit where a foul mouth like yours is welcome??????????????

inconsiderate Jul 10th, 2001 05:57 AM

Edie it is inconsiderate people like *YOU* that give family travel a bad name. Why did you ask for help when you only listen to what you want to hear. Based on what you wrote in your original post, Sloane gave a good response. Sloane, don't let people like edie scare you away from this message board. I would like to hear more from you in the future. I agree that the biker bar in Detroit is more Edie's style.

Linda Jul 10th, 2001 07:33 AM

I can see that Edie won't be getting any more advice. How rude to bad mouth the very people that are trying to help you when you are the one that doesn't know how to read your own post. Sounds like you are closer to your parents money than you are to the family. I hope they leave you at home.

traveller Jul 10th, 2001 07:46 AM

Agree with everyone about Edie's rudeness. I was going to give some tips based on her first post until I read what she had said. I went back and read Sloan's post and thought it was quite helpful. <BR> <BR>For you to say "politely shove it" and then go on the way you did. Well, you need to grow up and learn some manners. Even if you did not like Sloan's post, you had no call to respond the way you did. <BR> <BR>Edie, there is nowhere in your OP where you state that "my parents are rich". Well, lucky you. (you sound like a spoiled little rich kid). <BR> <BR>The majority of us "work hard" for our money and enjoy our vacations and we use this board to help us out, not to post diatribes like yours. <BR>

Miss Jul 10th, 2001 08:08 AM

Edie, <BR>I doubt you are rich, but you sure are a b**tch! Most wealthy people would not describe themselves as "rich". Comfortable perhaps but "rich"? I think not. Your language also indicates a very low class upbringing. So while you may very well have a few bucks, whomever said "money can buy many things but it cannot buy class." could have been speaking of you! Apparently we lowly fodorites don't understand the the needs of such a sophisticated traveler as you, Edie. By the way, your last name is very appropo!

Gail Jul 10th, 2001 08:12 AM

Hi Edie- <BR>Although this has deteriorated, I agree that Sloane was a tad condescending- Taking advantage of FF miles is a wise thing to do- not necessarily a "budget" requirement. I have to recommend the Outer Banks of N.C. also, but wanted to add B&B Realty to your list- I believe they are online, and we've had great experiences w/ their rentals. Corolla and Duck have some great places, as does Pine Island. With a 1 year old, you don't have to be worried about Putt- Putt and water world, so the hassle of driving down to Nags Head is not a factor. (it can get pretty backed up...)

James Jul 10th, 2001 08:40 AM

Gail? Does the word co-dependant turn on any light bulbs for you? If not, I think I might have some prison pen pal address's you might like.

xxx Jul 10th, 2001 09:18 AM

Sloane was helpful and not condescending at all. When you post a request such as yours on a public forum, you should be prepared to get responses that you don't like or don't feel are helpful. Tearing Sloane a new *sshole certainly isn't going to endear you to this group who usually has good suggestions. <BR> <BR>I've been on flights to Asia with not one but two babies directly in front of me - ages 13 months and 18 months and it was just fine. <BR> <BR>You were incredibly rude. If you don't want advice, don't ask for it. And for the record, I think Sloane's right. I don't think you can have a "dream" trip when your requirements sound like every other blue collar family's vacation plans.