Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dream CD for Driving to Mississippi (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dream-cd-for-driving-to-mississippi-616231/)

eileenleft May 17th, 2006 05:37 AM

Dream CD for Driving to Mississippi

I want to put together a cd of music especially tailored to driving south from Wisconsin to Jackson MS. So far I have John Hiatt's"Drive South". Any other ideas?

steviegene May 17th, 2006 05:46 AM

willy nelson "on the road again"

Ackislander May 17th, 2006 06:00 AM

Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited, since after all that's what it is about!

Robert Johnson, Crossroads Blues certainly, but just about any Delta blues played by bluesmen, not Eric Clapton

Bukka White, "Special Streamline"

SAnParis May 17th, 2006 06:43 AM

I'd need to have some Muddy Waters & B.B King on there.

sweetsailing May 17th, 2006 07:03 AM

My favorite CD for driving in the south, the soundtrack from the movie "O' Brother, Where Art Thou"

ekscrunchy May 17th, 2006 07:30 AM

Elmore James in addition to the already mentioned Muddy and Robert Johnson.

logandog May 17th, 2006 09:24 AM

Neil Young,"Southern Man"

razzledazzle May 17th, 2006 09:39 AM

eileen-
Here are some goodies for your trip:

<b>Charlie Musselwhite</b>
<i>&quot;The Blues Overtook Me&quot;</i> &amp;
<i>&quot;She May Be Your Woman&quot;</i> from his album
<u>Ace Of Harps.</u>

<b>John Lee Hooker</b> anything from his album
<u>Boom Boom.</u>

<b>Steve Earle</b> does a nice cover of
<i>&quot;Willin&quot;</i>(you know-weeds, whites &amp; wine) on his album <u>Sidetracks</u>

<b>Mark Knopfler &amp; Emmylou Harris</b>'s new album <u>&quot;All the Road Running&quot;</u>-title track is good for a road trip!

You might take a listen to
<u>The Little Willi's</u> album which is a neat little band made up of <b>Norah Jones, Richard Julian and friends</b>-they do some nice covers of Willi Nelson and Townes Van Zandt tunes.

For fun, check out <b>The Chieftains</b>
album <u>The Nashville Sessions-Down the Old Plank Road</u>

Oh my, I could go on and on...
:)

R5

eileenleft May 17th, 2006 09:40 AM

Fun. Thanks!

ejcrowe May 17th, 2006 09:47 AM

Well, you should also put on Neil Simon's &quot;Goin' to Graceland&quot; when you hit Memphis. Maybe also that song &quot;Walking in Memphis,&quot; but I forget who did it...

There was a fantastic CD put out by the southern literary magazine Oxford American for the music issue #10. The other CDs for the music issues were good, but this particular one is stellar. On it there's a song called &quot;Heart of Dixie&quot; which is not what you think, but rather a ballad sung by a young white woman about coming to terms with her family's racism and her deep love for the aging black woman who helped raise her, whose name is Dixie. There's a reference to Mississippi in the song.

ejcrowe May 17th, 2006 09:55 AM

And don't forget to include something by Mississippi John Hurt and Mississippi Fred MacDowell.

I also love many of the suggestions other folks had!

And for a bit of silliness, there's a song whose first line is something like &quot;The day the squirrel went berserk in the First Self-Righteous Church in that sleepy little town of Pascagoula,&quot;
which is a town on the MS Gulf Coast.

mikemo May 17th, 2006 10:00 AM

I always have the &quot;The Blues&quot; Smithsonian 4 CD collection loaded which drives our Mexican friends/neighbors/help bonkers: they mellow when I switch to Willie and Lobo, and The Buena Vista Social Club.
M

Fairhope May 17th, 2006 10:01 AM

Did I miss the Elvis suggestioms?
Moody Blue
Kentucky Rain

razzledazzle May 17th, 2006 10:21 AM

mikemo, et al-
If you enjoy the Smithsonian collection-
I highly recommend the recordings
from the PBS series <b>The Blues-A Musical Journey</b> a 5 CD set worth
every penny. Your neighbors will love you even more !
:S-

R5

mikemo May 17th, 2006 10:42 AM

R5,

Muchas gracias, mi amiga.

When are you going to visit our very special place?

The &quot;new&quot; house is finally finished and more complete than the www.miradorhomes.com web site

Husbands, dogs, cats, et.al are always welcome.

M (SMdA, Gto.)

mikemo May 17th, 2006 10:46 AM

Did you ever drink that '74 Heitz Martha's or donate it? If donated, did you get any feedback?
M