downtown seattle hotel that's family friendly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to book a hotel over the fourth of july weekend in Downtown Seattle. Anyone have any thoughts as to what four star hotels are the most family friendly? We will have our five- and one-year-old sons with us. I am liking the looks of the Hotel Andra but can't figure out if we would be terribly out of place there. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:20 PM

The Monaco would be good as well, rooms come with goldfish upon request and the interiors are fun and funky.

I've seen families in and out at the Andra, I wouldn't worry about it. Also the Grand Hyatt is right across from Gameworks, shopping and the movie theater- that might be a good option too.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Neither four-star nor downtown, but both the Residence Inn and Silver Cloud Inn at Lake Union offer downtown shuttles, and the best thing is that they both face the lake, where the best fireworks show in the city (really excellent) is held. Both are quite family-friendly too, with suite-type rooms, free breakfasts, etc.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM

In addition, check out Summerfield Suites by Wyndham and Springhill Suites by Marriott. They both have small pools; I'm not certain whether they both serve breakfast.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Waterfront Marriott is a very nice spot. Many families. Not particularly rooms set up with two bedrooms, but suites and connecting rooms yes. I love the waterfront location and your family will too.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Originally we weren't going to be there on the 4th (checking out that day) but now we will be staying over. I have booked a room at the Courtyard Lake Union due to the fact that it's the only one of the three (Silver Cloud, Residence Inn, Courtyard) that still had rooms available and it's a water view room, so we should have a great view of the fireworks. (Hopefully?)

However, now I'm thinking, "wouldn't a view from a big downtown hotel, like the Westin, be even better?" So I looked at the room descriptions and have found a room at the Westin that says in part "Floor To Ceiling Windows, Sweeping Puget Sound Water Views"--is this the same thing as a Lake Union view and will we see fireworks from a room like this, ya think? Or should I play it safe and stay down at the waterfront? Anyone with experience in this matter, I value your opinion. Or suggestions about another downtown tower that would work for us? We'd like to do other stuff and being more centrally located downtown might be better. And, we do need to be able to see the fireworks from the room as our kids will probably be sleepy and/or asleep by that time.

Thanks!!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are two big fireworks shows in Seattle on the 4th - one over Lake Union (the Courtyard ought to have a good view) the other over Elliott Bay at the north end of the waterfront. They are not the same show, but separated by a couple of hills and various buildings.

Seeing one or the other (or, remote chance, both) from a high room at the Westin is a crapshoot. There are actually two towers at the Westin, and also a number of tall buildings that might fall into the line of sight between the Westin and either/both of the fireworks shows. If you get lucky, great - the view, while quite distant from either show, ought to be good. If you're not lucky, all you'll see is reflected flashes and echoing booms.

The Lake Union show is on TV, so if the kids are in bed or you end up at the Westin, all is not lost.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Like Gardyloo explained, two different displays over two different bodies of water. Before you get your heart set on it, Seattle often can be overcast around the 4th. I watched more than one year thru the drizzle. But will hope for the best during your visit this year!

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 05:52 PM

If you are at any downtown hotel, you are within walking distance of one or both of the pyrotechnic displays.

The Andra is a 1930s hotel that has recently been upgraded and redecorated. It has a convenient downtown location.