Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Downtown Portland (Oregon): For an afternoon, early evening lookabout (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/downtown-portland-oregon-for-an-afternoon-early-evening-lookabout-854304/)

travelinandgolfin Aug 12th, 2010 01:25 PM

Downtown Portland (Oregon): For an afternoon, early evening lookabout

We're only going to have from about 3:00 pm through the evening to checkout downtown Portand.

Any advice on where to park (we'd like to park just once, unless parking is really easy downtown), so I guess a nice central location to then walk around and get a flavor for the downtown area and things to see.

Also a place for dinner? I've heard good things about SouthPark Seafood.

Fodorite018 Aug 12th, 2010 01:47 PM

SouthPark is very good:) If you go there, there is a SmartPark parking garage just a few blocks down, on10th and Yamhill. There are a lot of shops in this general area.

Another part of downtown that you might like is up around the NW 23rd/NW21st streets. Lots of shops and restaurants around here, and on nice days lots of people wandering. A good restaurant in this area is Serratto, and they have a few outside tables as well. SouthPark does too, BTW. Anyway, if you head this direction, we always park in a little lot on 23rd and Glisan, behind the pizza place. Street parking around here is hard to find, but I have always found a spot in this lot.

LittleA Aug 12th, 2010 08:16 PM

How late is "the evening" mean? Are you flying out or driving somewhere else? If you have 5-7 hours, I would try a few other Portland neighborhoods besides downtown, such as Hawthorne Blvd, Sellwood, Belmont or Alberta for starters. If you must stay downtown, try Higgins for dinner and the bar on top of The Nines hotel for drinks. If you fancy a brewpub, take the street car to Deschutes Brewery.

Andrew Aug 13th, 2010 03:02 PM

For a quick visit to Portland, I would definitely target near downtown. Street parking is generally pretty easy unless it's a busy time - but some parking spots are limited to 60 to 90 minutes. Your best bet is to park in one of the numerous parking lots. The City of Portland operates parking lots called Smart Park (not to be confused with the restaurant "SouthPark") with a few lots around town that are good for four hours or less (otherwise it gets more expensive to park). Just check prices before you park, or try another lot.

In downtown Portland the trains (streetcar and MAX light rail train) are free - in the "Free rail zone." So you can park near the trains and use them to get around. But Portland is an easy walking town, too. You can both walk and take the train as needed.

Me personally: I'd park downtown, take the Portland Streetcar (SW 10th Ave) into the Pearl District and NW Portland and get off and walk around as needed (streetcar is free for a few blocks into the Pearl - then buy a ticket). You can take the streetcar back through downtown and down to the river (Riverplace) and get out there and walk around, too. The Streetcar takes you right by Powell's Books, a premiere stop in Portland (whole city block of books). Powell's also offers a free walking map of Portland.

If it's a nice day, you could walk around the Willamette River: start at the McCall Waterfront Park downtown and walk to the Hawthorne Bridge, cross to the east side, walk back the other direction, cross back over the Morrison or Steel Bridges. You get nice views of downtown and a feel for the place. Lots of locals stroll, jog, or ride their bikes through the park and the Eastbank Esplanade and across the bridges.

There are numerous highly regarded restaurants in Portland like Southpark, Higgins, etc. The Streetcar takes you near them.

If you will come in the summer months, I'd try to add a trip up to the International Rose Test Garden just west of downtown Portland. An amazing garden of roses! (Nice even when not in bloom but stunning in season.) You can take a bus up from downtown to the garden but that may not be worth your hassle - check www.trimet.org for more information.

happytrailstoyou Aug 13th, 2010 03:12 PM

When we visit Portland, we like to walk from downtown through the Pearl District and then to the Nob Hill neighborhood.

HTTY

azzure Aug 13th, 2010 03:25 PM

You might think about Portland Walking Tours. I've been to Portland many times, but took the 2+ hour walking tour last time and really learned a lot. It doesn't go to the Pearl or Nob Hill, however, though you'll be given advice on how to get there.

hopingtotravel Aug 15th, 2010 09:31 AM

If you are down walking along the Willamette River, it's fun to sit on the rocking chairs on the porch of the Riverside Hotel. They serve appetizers, sandwiches, wine etc, while you watch the boats, people and geese.

hopingtotravel Aug 15th, 2010 09:32 AM

Ooops, I think it's called Riverplace. Sorry, it's been awhile.

travelinandgolfin Aug 16th, 2010 01:52 PM

Hey thanks everyone. This gives me a good idea of downtown Portland. Even for just a few hours, it looks like we'll be able to do a lot of walking and seeing a few sites!