Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   downtown las vegas safe???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/downtown-las-vegas-safe-290115/)

caroline79 Feb 18th, 2003 09:22 AM

downtown las vegas safe????

I am travelling to vegas next month and were staying at the Lady Luck hotel in downtown area. Is this area safe at night or should we take taxis at night? P.S. I crap myself in dodgy areas.

Loki Feb 18th, 2003 09:35 AM

If you stay within the realm of the Freemont St. Experience you should be fine. If you want to wander outside of there, you might want to pack some Depends.

speedo Feb 18th, 2003 04:45 PM

Fremont Street from Main to South Las Vegas is quite safe; but with few exceptions, a block either way, and things change rapidly.. I've ventured off Fremont several times, but not too far, and its been generally to the bus station. While I've never been acosted, I wouldn't recommend doing it very often alone; with a group however, I would have few qualms. Lady Luck is a block off Fremont, but if you traverse during reasonable hours (say mid-morning until 11pm, or so) you shouldn't have much problem. As respondents to your other post suggest, if the sense of being safe is a priority for you, you might look into Fitzgerald's as an alternative since it sits on Fremont and offers at least comparable lodging if not slightly better.

hotel Feb 19th, 2003 05:40 AM

The area is safe IF you stay in the immediate Fremont St area... but don't go wandering too far off.<BR><BR>The strip is $20-$25 cab ride depending where on the strip you want to go, but a good alternative is the CAT (las vegas' city bus system). I THINK the bus number is 301/302, with the one with the higher number being express.... only 4 stops between downtown and center strip, fare is about $2.25/pp.<BR><BR>I DON&quot;T recommend taking the trolly, as it stops at each hotel along the way which takes a CONSIDERABLE amount of time to pull in/out of each hotel's driveway. I did this ONCE, late at nite, took about 1hr 45min to go from downtown to Tropicana Hotel.

ChristieP Feb 19th, 2003 02:17 PM

I'll second hotel's recommendation for the CAT bus back and forth! Wow, what a bargain! There are stops all over the strip, and one downtown that's a block away from Fremont. I think it was just $2.25 for the ride, which was a HUGE savings over a cab! And the bus runs 24 hours a day, too.

Faina Feb 19th, 2003 02:31 PM

Came from Vegas yesterday - the CAT bus along the strip is bus # 301, one way ride $2 per person, don't know if they have senior discount. The bus runs very often but gets crowded sometimes. All stops are announced: we're approaching hotels A,B,C. <BR><BR>Caroline, if you like paintings don't miss &quot;from Titian to Picasso&quot; exhibit, it's well worth visiting. Enter the main Venetian entrance (not the Madame Tussaud) and follow the signs to Guggenheim. They extended this exhibit till May 4.<BR><BR>Speedo, let me disagree with you, I would never advise a female to walk around the bus station area.

speedo Feb 19th, 2003 04:06 PM

Faina: You're certainly allowed to disagree. Heck, that's part of the forums fun! But please, read carefully. I did not recommend that a female (which I presume you are presuming caroline79 to be) walk around the bus station. But to clarify for you, (since that's apparently how you read my response) what I intended was that a walk TO the bus station during hours at which others are out and about, and WITH a GROUP, is not in my opinion, overly dangerous.

joesorce Feb 19th, 2003 04:12 PM

Wouldn't recommend the Lady Luck for someone who's easily scared, at least after 9pm or so. It's set-off a bit from the rest of the downtown area - just a block or two walk but enough to make you uneasy if you're alone. Not far enough to take a taxi however.