Downtown Chicago Hotel Suggestions

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downtown Chicago Hotel Suggestions

Trying to find a hotel for three couples on their first adventure to Chicago...the more I look the more confused I get about where to stay. Here's the basic criteria...near/accessible to shopping & Navy Pier, nicer hotel in the $100 - 150 range and fun. Close to restaurants wouldn't be bad either....Suggestions?????
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 03:05 PM
tsl

One idea is to look at tripadvisor.com for reviews of downtown hotels. A lot of the travelers comment about the locations of the hotels. We stayed at the Wyndham Chicago last Spring and was upgraded to a Jr. Suite because of joining ByRequest Wyndham's "club". The location was within walking distance to Michigan Avenue "fun" shopping, eating, and drinking, etc...
Another nice hotel is LeMeridien can be pricey but is very nice. Swissotel was also nice but off the main strip a bit. If you're coming in the Winter I would stay near Michigan Ave. Have Fun! Hope this may have helped.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Look at choosechicago.com for their "Accommodations" and then "By Location" feature. The area you describe is east of Michigan Avenue and north of the river. Unfortunately, 100-150 is a little low for a "nicer" hotel in this area.

So, what's going to give? If you can double up in a suite hotel, the Doubletree, Fitzpatrick, Embassy and such are affordable. If you want to go with a more basic hotel, the Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton and Homewood Suites are not far from your range. If you don't mind bargain hunting, hotrooms.com and priceline are options. If you appreciate the charms of an older hotel, the Talbott and Tremont often have rooms around $150. If you don't mind going outside the close-to-Navy-Pier area, you could check deals at the Amalfi or Allegro. There are hundreds of restaurants in the area, so that isn't a factor to consider.

Chicago hotel rates fluctuate by season and whether there is a big convention in town. If you are getting high rates and low availabilities, change your dates. May and June can be the toughest, although some weeks in April and September are nearly impossible to book, also.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM

We stayed at the Allegro, which was very attractive, and reasonable priced--something like $145 including parking, a wine reception, and a full breakfast delivered to our room. It's near the State St. Marshall Fields and the Merchandise Mart.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM

Add the Wyndham and the Omni Suites (676 N. Michigan) to the list of recommended hotels with suites under $250.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:03 PM

You can probably get the Westin for about $100 a night on Priceline. Check www.biddingfortravel.com.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Congrats on your first trip to The Windy City! How adventurous are you?
I'm a big fan of Hotwire.com (I just saved over $100 for 2 nights at what turned out to be the Swissotel), the bus & the L. You can buy visitor passes (based on length of stay)for unlimited rides on the regular buses & the L at www.yourcta.com It's 100% easier than taking your car, cheaper than a cab (although, if you're seriously loaded down with parcels- take a cab!), and makes for a cheap way to see the city.
www.chicagotraveler.com has loads of useful information, too- including where you can park your car for cheap (some of the hotels sting you $$ for parking). If you're planning for this month, check out www.877chicago.com for some nice deals that are part of their winter tourism promotion.
Hope this helps a little. Chicago is magnificent!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM

We have found good deals for hotels in Chicago on quikbook.com. We have gotten LeMerdien for $129 before on quikbook.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:24 AM
cd

What month are we talking about? The Sheraton, which is next to Navy Pier and a very nice hotel, is, I believe, offering a $99.00 per night price until sometime in March.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Slw

I have gotten the Swisshotel through Quikbook.com and Hotwire for $140 & $130. I like the location - a couple of blocks off Michigan and walkable to Navy Pier.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Ditto for quikbook for chicago. I dont think I've paid more than $100/night there when I've booked thru quikbook. They always seem to have a big selection of Chicago hotels. We love the Omni (have gotten suites with breakfast for <100), Intercontinental (the most amazing pool), Suissehotel (great views of the lake). All were great locations.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:47 PM

The Allegro is not close to Navy Pier. It's an older hotel, with small rooms, thin walls, and it's situated next to the 'el.'

Other downtown hotels in which I've stayed, include (in order of preference) the Fairmont, Hyatt Regency, Sofitel and Intercontinental.

For restaurant info and reviews try metromix.com.

Good luck!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:04 PM

Yes, the Hotel Allegro is older with small rooms, but it is very very charming, and if small boutique hotel are what you're into, it's great. Another option, owned by the same chain, is Hotel Monaco, which has bigger rooms, also very charming, and also has the wine hour from 5-6 or something. But it is also not too close to Navy Pier. I stayed there a few weeks ago, and loved it. We were in room 915, had a pretty nice view (not of an alley - the river). It was a huge room, and we had these really big window seats that were nice, and the beds were soooo comfy. We asked if all the rooms were that size, and the bellman told us that it was just the -15 rooms in the corners that were. And the concierge was very helpful. But where ever you stay, have a great time! Good Luck
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM

I, too, can recommend Le Meridien. I put clients up there all the time, and we have business meetings there several times a year. My folks RAVE about the beds.

Their winter rates are $129, unless there is a convention in town.