Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Downtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/downtown-340038/)

Tamkat007 Jul 23rd, 2003 05:13 AM

Downtown

My husband myself and two children (1yr&2yr) will be in Atlanta in Nov. for a convention that my husband will be attending. I have been reading the previous posts and have been getting good feedback but I have some questions myself. I was looking at staying in the Days Inn or Quality Inn Downtown ( I just read a bad post about this area) we would like to be within walking distance to the GWCC. I have been reading alot about Buckhead how far is that to the GWCC. We are looking for a safe area for myself and the kids while my husband is attending meetings. Please help with any information that will put me where I want to be. Thank you.

GoTravel Jul 23rd, 2003 05:31 AM

I like the Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, or Westin much better. Better downtown location. A very nice hotel that isn't quite as expensive as those three would be the Wyndham.

martytravels Jul 23rd, 2003 07:14 AM

Don't worry about crime or anything horrible happening, unlike the panicked urbanophobes have said. The biggest reason not to stay in downtown Atlanta is that it's dull. On weekends, it's completely dormant. Buckhead and Midtown are much more interesting.

sk84fungirl Jul 23rd, 2003 07:02 PM

If you're looking for something close to the GWCC, I believe the Omni hotel is your best bet. It is right across the street, next door to CNN, and across from Centennial Park. Not much too do downtown after the commuters leave. However, conventions bring a pretty active night crowd.

I agree that the Hyatt and Westin are in walking distance. Did it a lot during the Olympics.

Hope this helps.

Cate22 Jul 23rd, 2003 07:30 PM

I agree with martytravels completely. I lived and went to school right in between Midtown and Downtown for five years. The area requires as much awareness as any big city, but the thing is, downtown is practically empty after the workday ends, except for the nice restaurants and concert venues.

Underground Atlanta use to be a popular destination years ago, but now is struggling to be revived. Since the Olympics in 1996 when Centennial Park was built, the so called "dangerous" area of the city has become much safer.

sk84fun girl is right about the Omni Hotel. It is right across the street from the convention center. You can go on a tour of the CNN center and stroll through Centennial Park. By then it should be decorated for the holidays. Also, not to far is the Fox Theatre, Piedmont Park, and the High Museum.

dano Jul 24th, 2003 07:52 AM

Tamkat:

In addition to the Omni there is an Embassy Suites across the street from the GWCC and adjacent to Centennial Olympic Park. Unless you are on a real budget try for something other than the Days Inn or Quality Inn. The Westin is the next closest, five blocks from GWCC. I live in Atlanta and am uncomfortable walking around downtown - there are quite a few panhandlers and at night there are few people walking around or cars on the streets except where a concert or event may be happening. Some side streets are no more than service alleys for the hotels and marts and are just intimidating to walk down any time of day due to service trucks, few people and no streetscape.

You can consider staying in midtown or Buckhead, your husband can take Marta to the GWCC while you and the kids explore.

Things to do that would be good for kids your age:

Atlanta Children's Museum (caty-corner NE from Centennial Olympic Park)

Centennial Olympic Park itself - the kids will love playing in the rings fountain which is designed for just that. Plus there is a kids play area at the NW corner near the Embassy Suites.

The above two are walking distance from downtown hotels. For the following a car will be best. Using Marta will be cumbersome with toddlers and time consuming since you would have to access them mostly by bus.

Atlanta Zoo - Great gorilla/orangutan exhibit and pandas, plus a children's section with a petting zoo, miniature train ride, carousel, etc.

Atlanta Botanical Garden - great children's play garden, tropical rain forest and orchid conservatory

SciTrek - hands on science museum with a small-kids section

Fernbank - hands on science center with a section like SciTrek, and other exhibits geared towards natural history, IMAX theater and big dinosaur skeletons in the center atrium.

Stone Mountain - Train ride around base of mountain, tram ride to top, petting zoo, riverboat ride, Great Barn - interactive wildlife exhibit.

Avoid Underground Atlanta - it's a half vacant tourist trap that they are now trying to turn into more of a night party atmosphere.

Attractions like MLK Center, Carter Center, World of Coca-Cola, Atlanta History Museum, while great for adults and older children would probably not hold much interest for toddlers.

November weather is generally pleasant and sunny with cool nights (40's - 50's) and mild days (60's - 70's).