Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Down to 4 Hotels & ...Suggestions Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning the "trip of lifetime" with my parents. I've read tons of reviews & got it down to 4 choices. I plan to make the final selection in the next couple of days & book on-line through Expedia. No particular order - Sheraton Crystal City, Quincy, Capitol Hill Suites, Sofitel Lafayette Square. I want to get us close to Metro and have queen size beds. I've been to D.C. several times for business or training but I've never stayed at a particularly memorable hotel. This will probably be my parents' only trip here and I want it to be REALLY special! We all love museums and eating - I'm just hoping we're physically up for the task! I'm trying to pace things so we'll be doing a mix of walking and riding. Looks like we would get the most out of the D.C. Power Pass since we want to do the all the trolley lines (plus nighttime one), Spirit boat day trip to Mt. Vernon, M. Tussauds and maybe DC ducks & Spy Museum. But I'm worried that we won't be able to get on the tours as easily as it makes out. Also, hoping to make all of the arrangements through Expedia so they are covered by their cancelation policy. We're there from Oct 2nd - 8th. We will hit all of the normal sites and museums. Any other gardens of particular interest? I tried to get tour to White House via OH senator but they were booked for October. Will try National Archives & Bureau of Engraving. Is the museum that is closed until November (American Museum) the one with the ruby slippers?

Thanks for any other suggestions!
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM

I've stayed at the Sofitel and it's a very nice hotel. It's within walking distance to the White House, monuments and metro stops.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM

We stayed in Crystal City many years ago....~1989. There was no charm but it was very convenient. I am sure that it has been expanded over the years.

It was also very close to Alexandria and we had a great dinner at an old-fashioned "tavern" where Sally Lunn bread, an old English bread is served with the dinners. If you do end up staying in Crystal City, I recommend this restaurant, esp as you mention taking your parents.

http://www.gadsbystavernrestaurant.com/
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM

I know you've spent time narrowing down your hotel choices, but... If you're looking for a memorable hotel, try exploring the Kimpton chain. They are all near metro, pretty afforable (for DC!) and everyone I've known who's stayed at them has raved - definitely memorable. This would include, Hotel George, Hotel Rouge, Hotel Topaz, Hotel Helix, Hotel Madeira, etc. You might also consider the Tabard Inn.

I agree with the previous poster that of the four you've listed, Sofitel Lafayette Square is your best bet - I, too, would avoid Crystal City if you're looking for a unique experience, it's essentially just a strip mall of hotels and office buildings, although there are some OK restaurants there.

I also second a meal at Gadsby's Tavern - I like to combine that with a trip to Mt. Vernon, makes sense both geographically and time-period, wise.

If you're interested in gardens, the U.S. Botanical garden is right on the mall. I also really like the National Arboretum, but I think it might be too off the beaten path for your itinerary. Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown has a nice garden, as does Hillwood Museum (also a bit out of the way.)

Have fun!!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Of those four, the Sofitel is a slam dunk.

But before you book, check the specials for the Hay Adams and the Willard. They don't come often but sometimes there are decent packages that can get the price down a bit.