Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Doubletree Jersey City or new Holiday Inn Manhatten View in Long Island City? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/doubletree-jersey-city-or-new-holiday-inn-manhatten-view-in-long-island-city-451671/)

tambennett Nov 15th, 2008 01:19 PM

Doubletree Jersey City or new Holiday Inn Manhatten View in Long Island City?

We are flying into Newark and I'm wondering how expensive it would be to get to Long Island City via taxi or train? There are 4 of us! We already have reservations at the Doubletree in Jersey City but I found the Holiday Inn at a much better price!

ellenem Nov 15th, 2008 01:56 PM

With 4 of you, a car service from Newark to Long Island City would be a better value than train. You'd each pay about $17 via a AirTrain/NJ Transit train/subway and have to shlep all your stuff on and off multiple modes of transport. For about the same amount of money, you could call a car service (Carmel, Dial7) and go door to door. Check online--car services often have discounts.

tambennett Nov 15th, 2008 03:19 PM

I need help deciding which hotel! Any suggestions?

nytraveler Nov 15th, 2008 05:07 PM

The latter hotel seems to be brand new. I would contact them (phone the actual hotel) to see if it is still actually under construction or is already open. (Many hotel openings are delayed. If it's not already being used I wouldn't count on it being finished unless you're not coming for several months.)

It seems to be about a 10 minute walk - through semi-industrial/semi-business areas to the subway into Manhattan.

I would think Doubletree is closer to the PATH train - but I would check on the details of their location too.

Either way - it will take about 30 minutes to get to anything you want to see/do in Manhattan.

smetz Nov 15th, 2008 05:21 PM

I haven't stayed at the Holiday Inn in Long Island City, but I have stayed several times at the Doubletree in Jersey City. While it's a decent hotel, I have found that it can take a terribly long time to get back and forth from Manhattan via the Path train, especially if it's late. I'm talking an hour or more from Midtown if the connections don't go your way. I think Long Island City is accessible via a pretty direct subway connection, so it seems it would not take nearly as long.

Rhea58 Nov 16th, 2008 02:16 AM

smetz is correct. THE #7 subway
is 3 blocks from Holiday Inn &
will bring you right into Grand
Central continuing on to 5th ave,then to Times Square for changing to a west side subway if you wish.

This will save you valuable time going to & fro.

tambennett Nov 16th, 2008 09:15 AM

Is the area around the new Holiday Inn safe for walking after dark? Especially if we have to walk 3 blocks for the subway?

nytraveler Nov 16th, 2008 09:47 AM

The area is safe, but somewhat dreary. And while the subway runs every 5 minutes or so during the day, if you staying the city for a show and dinner you may have to wait 15 or 20 minutes for a train back to Queens (after 11 pm or so).

tambennett Nov 16th, 2008 01:55 PM

nytraveler, Do you have the same opinion for the doubletree? I mean as far as travel times! The new Holiday Inn is substantially less expensive than the Doubletree, but we have a guaranteed city view. The Holiday Inn only guarantees a nonsmoking room, not a view or high floor! This is our 1st trip to NYC with the kids and I want it to be memorable! Thanks for your insight!

mclaurie Nov 16th, 2008 02:15 PM

Both Jersey City and Long Island City are fairly unattractive areas that were primarily industrial. Because of their proximity to Manhattan, they are both in the process of development and gentrification. If you use maps.google.com and use their street view you can get an idea of what the area looks like around the HI. It is directly facing the highway. It's really ugly there and the outside of the hotel looks pretty awful, but the rooms look nice.

There's not a street view of the Doubletree, but I believe that hotel is in or right near a shopping center. Flying into Newark, if you're not going to stay in Manhattan, it makes a lot more sense imo to stay in NJ. I don't know when you're coming or how many days you're staying, but if you really want a memorable trip, stay in Manhattan. What rates are getting on these hotels and what are your dates? Have you looked at any specials on travelzoo.com?

Another NJ option is the Sheraton on the Hudson in Weehawken, directly across from midtown Manhattan.

tambennett Nov 16th, 2008 02:30 PM

mclaurie-The Doubletree is $279 and the new Holiday Inn is $179! We are staying 5 nights Dec 26-31!

mclaurie Nov 16th, 2008 03:00 PM

You can get a room with 2 doubles at the brand new Hampton Inn Soho for $239/night or $259 for a view (link from travelzoo.com). I'd book it asap. I think you may see more sales but this hotel is miles better than the 2 options you're considering.

tambennett Nov 16th, 2008 03:28 PM

mclaurie- Thank you for the info on the Hampton Inn in Soho! I booked it!!!

mclaurie Nov 16th, 2008 06:38 PM

I hope you like it. ;)

Postal Nov 17th, 2008 11:44 AM

You will be very glad you stayed in Manhattan and not Jersey or Queens! The amount of time you save traveling - especially with kids! - is a gift in itself. The kids will love shopping the little stalls in the Canal Street Chinatown area.

tambennett Nov 20th, 2008 04:35 PM

Postal-Thanks for the shopping tip for the kids!!! They loved Chinatown in San Francisco and are looking forward to NYC!