Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Door County, Wisconsin during the holidays? Better to save for summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting family in Milw/Brookfield area.

Wondering if a mini-getaway to Door County would be romantic, of if it's really more in its element only during summer?

I was there ages ago, both during summer & fall, altho' the fall trip was quite blustery & grey.

Would you take a pass & just explore Milw area for holiday sights? Any rec's for Milw holiday goings-on? Thanks so much!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Hopefully someone who knows better than I do will also post, but we were just visiting friends just south of Door County. They said that by the end of October a lot of the businesses close for the season, so you might want to check on that if you can.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
JJ5

Too cold and wet, IMHO. Just like my MI forestland, lakeland etc.- much better in warmer weather.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Unless you like being outside to enjoy winter, Door County is MUCH better in the summer into Oct. Many businesses do close after the season. Some like it better in winter since there are so few tourists. My preference is mid Oct. or early summer leaving the summer months to the crowds of tourists and traffic jams. Fall in Door County is great for apples and cherries. Downtown Milwaukee has many Christmas decorations. There is outdoor skating (with rentals) by the Inter Continental Hotel and check for Holiday shows at Performing Arts Center and Pabst Theater. If you have specific requests, post again.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 07:12 PM

We used to own time-share weeks at the Rushes on Kangaroo Lake in Door County; one of these was the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. Although it is much quieter in the winter, and many places are closed for the season, they often re-open for that holiday week. We never had a problem finding a restaurant open, for example. Or getting one of the White Gull Inn's fabulous cherry pies. And if you're lucky enough to get snow, it's a fairy land for cross country skiing or ice skating.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Just out of curiosity--if you were to go to Door COunty this time of year, where would you stay?

I was thinking of going up there next week (from Milwaukee) and staying in Egg Harbor. I am looking for nice accomidations that are reasonably rated.

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:48 AM

If you enjoy cross country skiing and there's any decent snow, there are some great options. Peninsula State Park has wonderful trails. It's been many years since I've been up there in the winter but the area does attract a large number of cross country skiers.

A day of skiing followed by a romantic diner and a snuggle in front of a fireplace..........oh yeah!

There are many stores and attractions that are closed during the winter months but if you're winter hardy, you get the parks and lake front to your selves.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM

thank you for the info. I will take this into consideration.