Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Don't want to fall asleep in SF. Tips for fighting jet lag?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Collette

Last time we flew out to the West Coast we never conquered the time change and fell asleep by 8pm and then woke up around 4am looking for something to do. I do not want to miss dining out in San Francisco so just wondering what other East Coasters do to help adjust to the time change.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:52 AM
x

It's only 3 hours. Jet lag really doesn't come into play for me at least until I change more than 6 hours.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:46 AM
lori

Try flying from NYC to Singapore. A 3 hour time difference is nothing. Stay up late the firt night and you will get right back on a normal time schedule. Wimps!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:52 AM
doc

I bet San Fran is quite interesting at 4AM.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:22 AM
x

Start shifting your hours before you head west

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:30 AM
MM

You can go one of two ways:

1. Take such an early flight out that you have to get up even earlier than usual, then make an effort to take no naps after about noon your time and don't go to bed before 10 pm -- you'll be whipped by bedtime but you'll sleep late by EST time but not by PST.

2. Schedule a later flight and stay up late the night before you leave, at least 2 hrs. later than usual. Again, wait until a reasonable time by PST to go to bed.

Either way, your first day is kind of trashed, but less so than if you tried to reset your clock beginning before your flight.

Whatever you do, don't sleep on the plane -- and if you happen to have a connection to break up the flight, get some exercise during the stopover (if there's time).

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:27 AM
J Correa

I find when flying west that sleeping on the plane works well for fighting jet lag. That way I am rested up when I get to my destination and can stay up later that night and sleep later the next morning.