Reload this Page >

Done NYC and Chicago, where next?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Mark

Have had 2 very enjoyable trips (from Europe)to the US. Stayed each time about a week and mainly just walked around taking in the places. Museums, architecture, parks, people. Thinking about planning another trip. Ideas anyone?

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:06 AM
kkj

San Francisco, California.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Sam

Yes, San Francisco is great, especially if you like encounters with homeless bums.

Mark, almost every city in hte US has museums, architecture, parks, and people. How about giving us some help on what you enjoy,what time of year you'll be visiting, ages and special interests and hobbies? Isn't there somewhere in the US that you've heard about, or seen on TV or in movies, that you're curious about?

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Debbie

Hi Mark,I've been to New Orleans,San Francisco,and Washington,DC.I found all of them very appealing in their own way and had lot's of fun in all.I'm on my way to back to New Orleans this month and can't wait.Good Luck.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Kristin

My first response: San Francisco
Boston, Mass. is also a fun, historic city-----and if you want to do something really different (but fun)go to Las Vegas.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Susan

Another vote for San Francisco (from one who lives here). Especially if you're coming soon - September through November is the most beautiful time of year here! As a European, I think you would love it, especially the Victorian architecture, and exploring the great parks, especially Golden Gate Park. Also, exploring the neighborhoods of North Beach (Italian, good cafe's), the Mission (Hispanic), and Chinatown. And then there's the beautiful ocean, all around the City ...

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Mark

Bit of additional info about us for Sam and others (many thanks already, by the way). We're father and son (that's me), early eighties, late forties. Just back from Chicago, so trip will either be spring or fall next year. Have SF on the list but as Dad's been there, may try somewhere else, although could combine it with a few days in Las Vegas. Incidentally, we've found that encounters with homeless bums can be quite worthwhile as long as you respect each other. No particular hobby's or interests, just sort of go with the flow.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Judy

1st Choice: Washington, DC
2nd Choice: Boston

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Sam

Boston's my favorite ciyt, but sincethis pari have already been to NYC and Chicago, I'd recommend something away from the Northeast. Perhaps something completely different, like a couple of National Parks in the West?

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:05 PM
x

Los Angeles, Las Vegas & Washington DC. You won't regret it.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:06 PM
voting

SF or Washington DC

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Michele

Washington DC (also hit Mt Vernon, Alexandria & Annapolis) or Boston, Mass.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Larry

Los Angeles (fantastic climate)
Washington DC (great city)
Las Vegas (can tie in with LA since their only 4 hours apart)
These are all 3 great tourist spots...

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Mel P

Since your Dad's already been to San Francisco (plus its hilliness may be a bit taxing for someone 80-plus) I would say Los Angeles as well...can be easily combined with a couple of days jaunt to Las Vegas, and then maybe even the Grand Canyon beyond Vegas.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:12 PM
x

1. Washington DC
2. San Francisco

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Donna

Here's another recommendation for Boston and San Francisco.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 06:30 PM
xxx

Seattle might be a fun change of pace from your previous travels.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 08:30 PM
KMK

Yes, San Fran or Seattle, but what about Santa Fe, N. Mex. and/or Flagstaff, Ariz.+Grand Canyon for something not even slightly like European city.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Mark

Thanks guys. The voting so far:
SF 8x
DC 8x
Boston 4x
LA 3x
Las Vegas 3x
Seattle 2x
New Orleans 1x
Santa Fe 1x
Flagstaff 1x
SF does sound like it's well worth a visit, but you've got me interested in Las Vegas and Santa Fe as well. Maybe leave Boston and DC until we've gone West.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Robert

I agree with Sam that SF does have a large homeless problem. As a result, SF streets have become dirty, not to mention the nasty urine smell form the street people using the sidewalks as a public toilet. As a person who lives in the SF area, I really in all hinesty could not ecommend that you come here. It has gooten so bad that I rarely go into SF anymore. Sf was a great city about 20 yrs. ago, but has since lost its appeal. I have found the culture and restaurants to be somewhat overrated when compared to Chicago, NYC, and LA.

If you like Northern California, why not fly into San Jose www.sanjose.org and after checking out San Jose and Silicon Valley, head down to the Monterey Bay Area. The Monterey and Carmel areas have the best California coastal scenary. Carmel is a very quaint town near Monterey. The drive down Highway 1 to Big Sur is Breathtaking.

LA and Las Vegas are also great options to consider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -