"Don't Miss" suggestions

Search

"Don't Miss" suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Don't Miss" suggestions

Will be in Ohio last week of September and will have 4-5 days to explore...where to? We have done Amish Country and Newark area...

Do we want to head north to Cleveland? Lake Erie?

Go to Columbus and explore?-if so German Village or Short North End for lodging?

Cincinnati?

Wish I could be more specific in my request for help but there seems to be so many options in Ohio.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM

"Don't Miss" suggestions?

Don't missing putting your destination in the thread title. You may think you posted in an Ohio forum, but it all ends up in one giant USA bucket.

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

oops! I relaized that right after I hit "post my reply".
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Tough choice.

I don't know Cincinnati, so no help.

I traveled to Columbus monthly for work for many years and have visited northern Ohio for work on many occasions.

If I had to make a choice, it would be Cleveland to Vermillion to Sandusky to Toledo, with a side trip to Oberlin and many detours to the lake shore.

Both Cleveland and Toledo have truly outstanding museums, and the Toledo Museum has just added a new wing to house its world class collection of glass. It is getting raves in all the architecture magazines.

The lake shore and islands are pretty/interesting in turn, and of course there is a world-famous amusement park at Cedar Point, frequently featured on the Travel Channel.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Ackislander.

This is just what I needed to hear and will now look at our options in those areas!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM

I grew up in NW Ohio and love to explore the Sandusky area along with areas around Lake Erie.

The Toledo Museum or Art is a top rated museum.

Cleveland is also fun to explore.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Dear Beth_fitz,
Thank you for your input. I am putting the Toledo Museum on the list and will google for some B&Bs and Inns in the Sandusky, Cleveland and Toledo area. Do you know of a particular Inns or B&Bs that you would recommend?
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Hocking Hills in SE Ohio, a short drive from Columbus. www.hockinghills.com. If staying in Columbus I prefer German Village (as I used to reside there) but am not sure where I would suggest you stay, as lodging is limited @ best www.germanvillage.org. I'd probably stay downtown or in the Arena District.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:53 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

If you choose to stay up north, take a look at Kelley's Island. Toledo (in my opinion) would be a place to avoid & Cleveland is a bit spread out. If you want to walk, Columbus or Cincinnati are more walkable. www.kelleysisland.com, www.kelleysislandchamber.com.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:17 AM

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland would definitely be on my list.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thank you for your suggestions. Can we do Columbus to Toledo (for Art Museum) and back to Columbus in a day?

Thinking of staying at a B&B right in German Village - German Village Guest House.

Wonderful link to Hocking Hills - Thank you
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM

I definitely would not recommend a day trip to Toledo. Its about 3 hours each way, and the scenery on the drive (fields), doesn't really change.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the good advice. There are so many options in Ohio that these posts are helping us narrow down our 4 days to explore.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

I'd likely stay in Columbus or Hocking Hills & daytrip to the other. Depends on your priorities. The guesthouse you mention (nearer the Park) is in a great location, but I know nothing about it. I would also skip Toledo. For Hocking Hills check out www.innatcedarfalls.com. There are a couple of old trip reports on here re: Hocking Hills as well + I grew up there, so I can answer any ?, as well.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

What a beautiful place to grow up!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:16 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

We skipped a lot of school to go to the 'Caves'. We were just there last weekend w/the kids, as they are growing to love & appreciate our little secret as well.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

OK..now we are torn... Hocking Hills or Kelleys Island?
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 09:21 AM

If you like amusement parks, definitely go to Cedar Point in Sandusky, on Lake Erie. Great rollercoasters!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Both are great choices but again, for the time you have - Columbus/Hocking Hills will better fill your time. Kelley's is a weekend @ best, maybe a long weekend.

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

If it is just the two of you, I would suggest the small cabins @ the Inn @ Cedar Falls. May be a bit of a splurge, but they are nice for a night or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -