Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Don Ho (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/don-ho-553351/)

dusty56438 Aug 21st, 2005 07:27 PM

Don Ho

Don Ho, one of Hawaii's top entertainers in the 60's, 70's, & 80's is in the hospital. He just turned 75 on August 13.

His show at the Waikiki Beachcomber is suspended until further notice.

I'm sure he brings back a lot of memories of Hawaii for some of you older Fodorites (like me).

Patrick Aug 21st, 2005 07:38 PM

Tiny bubbles. . .

kauai_aka Aug 21st, 2005 07:41 PM

Tiny bubbles in the wine
Make me happy make me feel fine
Tiny bubbles make me warm all over
With a feeling that I'm gonna
Love you till the end of time
So here's to the golden moon
And here's to the silver sea
And mostly here's a toast
To you and me
So here's to the ginger lei
I give to you today
And here's a kiss
That will not fade away

(special thanks to lyrics.com for jarring the memory a bit)

Sending good thoughts to our friend, Don Ho…

cigalechanta Aug 21st, 2005 07:45 PM

down by the shack by the sea.
Get well, Don

kauai_aka Aug 21st, 2005 07:49 PM

geez, these websites...down by the sack to the sea

LoveItaly Aug 21st, 2005 11:34 PM

Hi dusty, oh yes Don Ho does bring back many memories. Actually I thought he was older than 75. I hope he recovers, he is certainly a true Hawaii institution. Thanks for posting the information.

Intrepid1 Aug 22nd, 2005 05:09 AM

When I first lived on Oahu in 1965 he was already a "fixture" of sorts and there were still T-shirt shops and little else along the beach at Waikiki. Of course, by time Harry Owens and the Royal Hawaiians along with "Hilo Hattie" were a distant memory and Don Ho seemed to represent all that was fun nightclub-wise for many people.

His staying power seems rather remarkable. And he was smart enough to change along with the times.

Hopefully he will have many more productive years before he is lost to us forever.

crazy4Hawaii Aug 22nd, 2005 05:18 AM

I saw his show for the first time almost thirty years ago. His daughter was just a tot then. When I saw him on Samantha Brown's show "Girl Meets Hawaii" a short time ago, he didn't look that much different!

Statia Aug 22nd, 2005 05:18 AM

Very sad news, but thanks for posting it, dusty. I remember seeing him in Hawaii as a child, listening to his albums, and seeing the photos my mother had taken with him back in those days.

I wish him well for a speedy recovery.

Marianna Aug 22nd, 2005 05:29 AM

Dusty, you do bring back wonderful memories of our honeymoon trip to Hawaii in 1970. We went to see the Don Ho Show and had a great time. I still have the picture taken of my husband and me at our table with our backscratchers which were drink decorations. We had quite a collection of those things by the time we got back home!

Here's to you, Don Ho!

iamq Aug 28th, 2005 04:49 PM

Anyone know how he is doing?

-Bill

auntiemaria Aug 28th, 2005 04:52 PM

Our Honolulu newspapers reported that he was discharged and went home last Monday.
His prognosis is excellent, but his 4 nightly shows and his planned mainland gigs for September have been temporarily postponed.

kealalani Aug 16th, 2007 09:04 PM

ttt a few days early

Otis_B_Driftwood Aug 16th, 2007 10:12 PM

Why revive an old thread? Don passed away in April.