Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Dolphin Quest (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/dolphin-quest-167682/)

marymg Jan 2nd, 2006 12:20 PM

Dolphin Quest

Anyone out there done the dolphin encounter on the big island? If so, is it really worth the price? We will have 2 18 year old college girls who might really enjoy it.

MrTraveler Jan 2nd, 2006 12:33 PM

How much is it on the BI?? We did it on Oahu a few years ago and it was OK. The same company does it in Tahiti and it's totally not worth it there because it's outrageously more expensive there!
You don't really get to "swim" with the dolphins. You get in the water, they come up to, you get to pet them, then you watch them swim around a little, they come back and you get to pet them some more, and then maybe you'll get to feed them something, then you watch them swim around some more and do some tricks, then take a picture with them, and that's it!!!

SusanEva Jan 2nd, 2006 12:34 PM

My 12 year old daughter was thrilled with the experience. We were able to be quite close (without actually going in the water) to take some great photos. Hard to know if the 18 year olds will be as excited - but if you think they will like it, it's a unique opportunity!

marymg Jan 2nd, 2006 12:50 PM

In response to Mr Travleler, it looks like the cheapest would be 195$ a person. Would be willing to pay if it was a once in a lifetime experience. Thanks.

SusanEva Jan 2nd, 2006 12:53 PM

Mary,

If you're looking for once in a lifetime experience for 18 year olds, not sure this would be it. How about a helicopter ride over the volcano - price is probably about the same??

virginia Jan 2nd, 2006 02:00 PM

please consider the helicopter ride.
or surfing lessons.
captive dolphin programs are not an enviromentally conscientious choice. my friend is a marine psychologist who has done dolphin studies, says they must shower off all soap, fragrance,oils, etc just to enter the pool and wear gloves any time they touch they animals. human body oils and all soap and sunscreen are bad for them.
or i could go into the fact that most of these captive animals are female and are often separated from their babies when they are captured.
with so many options for entertainment in hawaii i truly hope you will find something else.

bertaron Jan 2nd, 2006 07:12 PM

We stayed at the Hilton where the DolphinQuest is and 18 year olds would be old for them. Every group I saw had kids from 7-13 in age. As somebody mentioned above you don't swim with them you just get to pet them and throw them a fish or two. A chopper tour over the volcano would probably be the biggest thrill out there.

Grcxx3 Jan 2nd, 2006 07:19 PM

I agree that 18 is too old. My younger son, then age 11, did it when we stayed at the Mandarin in Honolulu. He was fine, although he was the oldest of his group. My older son (almost 13) only wanted to do it when he saw how cute the instructor was. On the whole - nice photos - but not worth the money for older kids.

Also, I don't know how it is set up at the Hilton (we stayed there also, but didn't do the Dolphin Quest), but at the Mandarin - of the whole progran (about 1-1/2 hours), only the last 1/2 hour was spent with the dolphins. The rest of the time was spent with various fish, a stingray, and sea turtles.

fdecarlo Jan 2nd, 2006 07:48 PM

I agree with the others, 18 is too old to really enjoy the encounter. A better option is to take your $195 per person and spend it on a kayak/snorkel adventure in Kealakekua Bay. With any luck, and if you go at the right time of day (early A.M.) you'll run into wild dolphins and be able to experience them in their real natural habitat, which is *much* more rewarding than watching them swim in circles in a glorified bathtub.

Even more rewarding would be to spend the money on scuba lessons and certification for the two teenagers.

bendo2013 Jun 13th, 2013 08:44 PM

If you want to swim with dolphins that have been captured and separated from their families, that have been forced to adapt to interacting with humans, that have been enslaved for our entertainment, by all means check out Dolphin Quest. But don't fool yourself that these dolphins are enjoying their lives. They are their against their will. The owner of DQ is a notorious dolphin hunter who we capture wild dolphins for the highest bidder. If you want to teach your kids a lesson in animal exploitation and domination then buy a ticket. Read up on dolphins in captivity, you will be enlightened. If you are the type of person who gives a crap you will find something less evil to support. Maybe a whale watching trip .