2 week vacation with children

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are taking a 2 week road trip from Louisiana to pick up my parents in Cadillac, Michigan and return to Louisiana. We will visit Moberly, Missouri (husbands birthplace) along the way. Can anyone offer suggestions for what to see and do and where to stay in the vicinity? Also we would like to visit Chicago and Detroit before heading up to Cadillac. Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do. Children are 16 year old daughter, 11 and 4 year old sons. Thanks
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 02:18 PM

In Detroit: Greenville Village and Henry Ford Museum are a must. They are next to each other in Dearborn. The Village has original homes and buildings saved by Henry Ford and situated there. It is living history before your eyes and well laid out. Do not miss it.

In Chicago: Shed Aquarium downtown as well as Museum of Science and Industry. Top of the Hancock building. Boat tour on the Chicago River.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 03:00 PM

When our kids were about the ages of your two youngest, Greenfield Village was one of our favorite places to go for a long weekend. Part of the charm was staying in the Best Western Greenfield Inn. NOT "THE" Greenfield Inn, altho i know its VERY lovely.

But the BEST WESTERN Greenfield Inn is equally so, altho not quite as pricey. Its not at all your average Best Western! Elegant, upscale decor, (our kids loved the bathroom tv) HUGE indoor pool and the restaurant was very good. I highly recommend it.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 10:03 AM

There is a great place about 2 hours away from Cadillac called the Double JJ
in Rothbury Michigan. Its a dude ranch that offers a variety of activities for young and old. We have vacationed there with the kids for the last 5 summers, and our kids love the place. They have a website; www.doublejj.com
If you golf, they also have a wonderful golf course too.

You didn't mention when you were going, but if its summer, I would visit the shoreline along Lake Michigan. Places like Saugatuck, Holland and Grand Haven have a lot to offer.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:56 PM
darlas

If you have time, go to Mackinac Island for the day. Rent bikes and ride the whole way around the island. No cars to interfer with the beauty. Stay in Mackinaw City since the island is very expensive. Don't forget to get fudge.

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We will be heading north on July 20. We did visit family in Cadillac, Michigan last summer but it was early June and not much going on. Mackinac Island was great but we only had our 4 year old with us. Plan to go back again this time. Stayed in Mackinaw City and loved it, plan on staying there again. Fudge you say? I think I bought and ate fudge at EVERY location that sells it.
Really need info on great hotels in Chicago. Family friendly and not too expensive. As long as it is clean and safe and good location. Everytime I check out a hotel I get such mixed reviews. Help!

Any opinions on Wrigley Field (game)? Navy Pier? Shedd Aquarium? Cheap tickets to Lion King?

Thanks for all the info.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:57 AM

I got great rates at the Wyndham just last fall, $115.00 a night for a really wonderful, elegant room, and only 1 block off of Michigan Ave. Shedd Aquarium is really great for kids. I wouldn't miss it for their sake.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Regarding Chicago, a game at Wrigley Field is a lot of fun. Wrigley is an awesome ball park -- feels very intimate and old-fashioned (in a good way). The area surrounding it (Wrigleyville) is great for just strolling around and grabbing a bite or a drink before or after the game.

Kids do love the Shedd Aquarium. The Field Museum is even better, but maybe a little overwhelming for kids (if you go there, just pick a view exhibits).

Navy Pier is an overrated tourist trap. I think you'd have a lot more fun spending that time exploring one of the city's neighborhoods, like Lincoln Park, or hanging out at North Avenue beach.

And I hate to say it because I grew up in Detroit, but if given the choice, I would skip Detroit and spend the extra time in Chicago. If you do visit Detroit, Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (actually, now it's just called "The Henry Ford," is a great family destination. You could easily spend a day there. The Museum just opened a new James Bond exhibit that's supposed to be really cool.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As an ex-Detroiter who left town when it burned in '67, I second the motion.

The 4 year old would be awed by the virgin pines at Hartwick Pines State Park. Hopefully so would the 11 yr old.

At 16 my daughters were bored with anything we went to. Good luck