Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dollar car rental - No vehicles allowed on the ferry?

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to find the best rates for two-week car rental at the Anchorage airport in July 2005. Nothing special is coming up at this time. Dollar has the best rates but I noticed on www.dollar.com this company doesn't allow to take its cars on the ferry. "No vehicles allowed on the ferry." This is not our first trip to Alaska and we took our rental cars at least three times on the ferry Valdez/Whitier. Is this something unique to Dollar company? Anyone rented from Dollar and took a car on the ferry anyway?

I'm also a little concerned about their statement of "vehicles may not be driven on poorly maintaiend or unpaved roads." I called Dollar and asked for a list of the roads in Alaska which are, in their opinion, poorly maintained or unpaved. I been informed they do not have such list and nobody could give me information which roads we have to avoid. We are planning on driving to Kennicot footbridge and park there for a couple days when we visit the Wrangell St. Elias NP. Anyone driven on this road this summer?
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Wow, I'd be hesitant to rent any car in Alaska that you can't take on unpaved roads. In addition to some major unpaved ones, I can think of half a dozen access roads to smaller sites, glaciers, etc. which are unpaved. You'd seriously limit your sightseeing if you can't drive to any of those.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, these are my thoughts too. This is not going to be our first trip to Alaska and in Valdez we always stay at the chalet located on unpaved roads. Never thought that one day we won't be allowed to drive there. Any fodorite ever driven on the road all the way to Kennicott & McCarthy?

Any news about a fast ferry from Valdez to Whittier? Suppose to start operating next summer but I cannot find any details about it.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Any more information on driving to Chitina from those who are planning on visiting Alaska in 2005 or those who drove on this road already?
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 03:16 PM

Unless you rent from a local company that caters to the off-road tourist business, I think any traditional rental car contract such as those provided by the national and international companies -- including the contracts for use of cars with 4-wheel drive -- limits you to use on paved roads. Renter beware and definitely read the fine print.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:32 PM

Wildflower, what's the name of that chalet in Valdez? Sounds interesting.
I think you and I started a turmoil here about rental cars and ferries. Any word from the agencies you talked to about why the change this year? To my knowledge, no ferry has ever sunk with a rental car on it!!!