Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dogwoods & wildflowers blooming yet in Virginia???

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Toni

We will be in Va (april 8-12) and we were hoping to see some of the dogwoods and wildflowers that I hear so much about in that area...any reports on what blooming, or is it to early to know?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:06 AM
xxx

Depends on which part of Virginin, but maybe if it warms up some in the next couple of weeks it'll be blooming. Some of the flowering trees in Richmond area are almost past (the bradford pears in my yard are leafy not flowery) but the dogwoods and redbuds are keeping pretty closed up -- too cold!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Vance

In the northern Virginia area (near DC) I always have my relatives come out on Aril 22 to 25 that is the peak of spring greenery and flowers.

Still mostly bare here except for the cherry bloosoms which will come out this weekend.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 11:48 AM
E.

In Hampton Roads, the Bradford pears are already almost out of bloom, the cherries and plums are just starting, red oaks are budding, forsythia going strong, but no sign of dogwood yet.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Toni

The area would be Manassas down to Charlottesville and then over to Williamsburg...will be there on April 9th....

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:49 PM
susan

The dogwoods started opening this weekend in Williamsburg. The early azaleas started 2 weeks ago. Peak should be in the next 2 weeks.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:58 PM
Toni

Thanks for the update! Seems like our timing will be perfect!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:31 AM
E.

Enjoy, Toni--the white dogwood is open all over Williamsburg and Hampton Roads!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:27 AM
karen

Toni: Less than a week to go eh? Your timing should be ideal. You should catch the tail end of cherry blossoms and the beginning of everything else. However, that includes peak allergy season too so if you're even the least bit suseptible, bring your meds! Have a wonderful trip if we don't get any more posts from you before that!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:00 AM
Larry

Trees still bare in northern Virginia, except for a light green on some of the samller trees. Peak in 2 weeks.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:10 AM
RT

They are currently in full regalia. This entire region just shines in the spring. Come and enjoy!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:12 AM
njgirl

The dogwoods are blooming here in NJ!