Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

DOG LOVERS: I need sugg. for a WA /OR vacation with my dogs.

Jan 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Spring break will be here before I know it, so I'm beginning to think about our plans. I want to stay in WA and/or Oregon. We do have a camper (we've only used once), but I wouldn't want to stay in crowded campgrounds. We also have a kayak (big enough for hubby and me and our 3 dogs). We also enjoy x-country skiing (is there snow in April?), but are there any areas that are 'dog friendly'? We usually leave the dogs home, but I'd love to take them with us this time. So, I'm looking for ideas on:
-Itinerary
-dog friendly places to stay (we don't like hotel stays - prefer cabins)
-Kayaking or cross-country skiing?
ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Caroline
Jan 15th, 2009, 04:05 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...37-Oregon.html

You might look on these boards too for information.

Oregon / Especially Portland and the Northern coast is extremely dog friendly..
I don't know anything about camping ( nature wimp here) but I do know that the TA forums is a great place for your question.
I also do know that much of Or and Wa are not that sunny or warm or dry in April.
Good luck, it sounds fun : - )
Jan 15th, 2009, 04:51 AM

The Oregon/Washington beach, definitely! You'll see many dogs having a wonderful timing running around on the beach. Check out petswelcome.com or petfriendly.com to find specific properties that accept pets.
Jan 15th, 2009, 05:46 AM

I travel often with my three dogs, and agree on the cabin/house rental versus a hotel. (Although La Quinta and Holiday Inns have always been great for overnight trips with the dogs.)

I feel better leaving them in a secure house while we go out to eat or sightsee, than in a hotel room. Also, they are dogs, and no matter how well-trained they are, they will bark sometimes. In a cabin rental, at least you know there isn't someone trying to sleep on the other side of the wall.

We've had great luck finding rental cottages that will accept our dogs on VRBO and also by finding a town/ area where we want to be then posting on Craigslist to see if anyone has a pet-friendly rental.

Often places charge an extra pet fee. I used to get a little annoyed at that extra cost until my friend pointed out that it was less than taking them to a kennel.

I love traveling with our dogs- it's more work and makes you schedule the day differently but we see the areas in a different way when we are out walking the dogs.

Jan 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM
mms

Your biggest obstacle might be finding a place that will accept 3 dogs. Pet friendly places usually are ok with one dog, but more than that they get antsy, IMO.

Camping in April you will not find crowds anywhere. Many campground are not open year round, so that will limit you.

The WA and OR coasts are typically pretty wet in April, and can be quite chilly. But still very enjoyable, IMO.

As for cross country skiing, much will depend on the weather of course. I have not done that as late as April, so am not sure. Maybe someone else who has can comment.

I would look into Whidbey Island or the San Juans. No skiing, but those areas in April are far from crowded, have quite a few homes/cabins to rent kayaking options. Again, April weather might be too cold, but you never know. Another option might be Central OR. Again, not crowded that times of year, and there is a possibility of skiing and again lots of cabins for rent.

Kayaking and cross country skiing are not typically two sports that you are able to do at the same time of year. So you might need to pick an area that you want to explore and then go from there for activities.

Jan 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Keep in mind that if you are thinking of a coastal vacation, dogs are not allowed on most beaches in Washington. We had a fabulous vacation near Tillamook with our dog (years ago, first weekend in June), hung out on the beach and went hiking.

When we were there dogs were not allowed in the yurts but I just noticed on the website that they are allowing pets in a one-year trial. You could be a good ambassador for the rest of us to prove that well mannered pets should be allowed to stay in the yurts! http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/rus...l#RUSTIC_YURTS

It will be chilly and likely rainy, but the yurt will be cozy!
Jan 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Should have no problem with your dogs anywhere in Oregon. I think it is against the law not to own one.
Jan 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM

oops, just noticed you said you had a camper. When we camped in June the campground was not crowded at all, I imagine you'd have lots of space to yourself in April.
Jan 15th, 2009, 08:42 AM

I think mms identified the real obstacle might be finding a place for 3 dogs, even if they are small dogs. Could you possibly leave one of them at home?

I was thinking of Port Townsend, which offers great kayaking in the area, and is often quite nice in April. I did find this place with dog-friendly cabins, right onDiscovery Bay:

http://www.chevychasebeachcabins.com/petpage.html

But there is a two-dog limit.

Kalaloch Lodge on the Washington coaast allows pets in some of thier cabins, and leashed dogs are permitted on the nearby beach. Here is the Olympic NP web page with dog regulations:

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Unfortunately, the kayaking there would be surf kayaking and probably not suitable for a dog-laden sea kayak.

Camping on Whidby Island is an excellent suggestion---there is a dog-friendly beach there, near one of the campgrounds. Unfortunately I forget the name, but I can find it later.

XC ski destinations like Sun River, Oregon (near mt. Bachelor) and Winthrop, Washington, do offer some dog-friendly rental cabins and homes, but by April the snow for XC skiing is gone.

However, one place you could do some snowshoeing and XC skiing in april would Be Scottish Lakes High camp, a rustic cabin place reached by snowcat:

http://www.scottishlakes.com/Home.shtml

Here is their dog policy:

"Well-behaved dogs are welcomed at High Camp except on winter weekends and during the week between Christmas and New Years. Owners are asked to keep their dog under control and clean up any dog messes around the cabins and lodge. In Fall Season the transportation charge per dog is $10 round trip, while during Winter Season the charge is either $10 or $20, depending on how far up the mountain the dog rides."

So you could go mid-week in April. Lots of cabins available then.
Jan 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Whistler, BC is extremely dog friendly. Lots of ski opportunities as well, even in April. And many lakes for kayaking.
Jan 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Great suggestions! I love the Scottish Lakes idea, but it does seem a bit 'rustic'. Have any of you 'dog people' been there during the winter? I'm just curious how the transportation of all the food, dogs and gear takes place. This is just the type of info I've been looking for. I'd love to read some more ideas for those hard-to-find, but oh so wonderful places to take our beloved pets.
I've also checked vrbo and most dog friendly rentals list 2 dogs as the maximum. I can certainly understand property owners reluctance.
We did stay in Leavenworth for a couple nights (two years ago) at a dog friendly cabin. It was nice, but it was in a more residential area, so you couldn't just let them run. Finding wide open spaces is what I'm after.
I'll check out the pet friendly travel websites 321go listed
Thanks so much!
Caroline
Jan 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Hi Caroline--we haven't been to Scottish Lakes camp ourselves yet, but hope to go for hiking (with our dog) in the fall. My secretary has been there in the winter with her kids (not dogs!) and they loved it. It is a bit of work to organize everything for the trip in, however.

There are some pet-friendly cabins around Mazama listed on the Methow Valley website; some of these (like Lost River cabin) should be in a remote enough area and they don't seem to limit the # of pets. I have no idea what the weather is like there in April, however; the snow would be gone from the valley floor but maybe it's all mud and not spring green yet.