Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dog friendly restaurant in Mebane, Chapel Hill or Hillsborough, NC

Mar 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

My dog and I will be attending a training program in Mebane this weekend. I will not be able to leave her in my hotel room or car and will have her with me when I go to dinner. Is there a dog friendly restaurant in the area? Thank you.
Mar 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM
cd

cmcfong, I don't think any restaurant would permit you to bring an animal inside. It is against health department rules unless your dog is a working seeing eye dog, and then I would think most restaurants would welcome him/her. Perhaps whoever is giving the training program could recommend a dog sitter to watch over your pet while you have dinner?
Mar 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Agreed - I can't think of many places where it might even be a possibility. You might try Allen & Sons barbecue between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough; it's casual, yummy and I think (*think*) they have porch seating, so you might be able to sit out there and tie your dog's leash to the porch rail or something. I'm not sure, though.
Mar 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it.

I have visited several restaurants in North Carolina (Wilmington, Hendersonville, Asheville, Winston-Salem) which permit people to bring well behaved dogs to patio/outdoor seating. It looks like picnic may be our solution this weekend.
Mar 26th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Hopefully you can find something! I'm most familiar with Chapel Hill, and there just aren't that many restaurants that I remember with outdoor seating, period. Franklin Street isn't really conducive to that, and that's where most of the restaurants are located. Maybe some of the other participants in the training course (or instructor) will be able to recommend somewhere, if they're local?

You might try Weaver Street Market in Hillsborough or Carrboro for picnic food, if the dog will be OK long enough to run into the store. It's an organic foods coop that has some prepared foods, including hot and salad bars.
Mar 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM

There are many (outdoor seating) dog friendly restaurants in Austin. I'm guessing there are some in those areas. Try google. Almost never fails!
Mar 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Jent, thank you for the Hillsborough market reco. I will give it a shot. It may be the other students will know places, but most of us are from out of town or out of state (as is the instructor) so I thought I would have a plan b if they didn't have any suggestions.
Austin, thanks for the suggestion of google. I will try it if nothing turns up.
Mar 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Sure thing. To save you a little googling , the web site is weaverstreetmarket.coop. The Hillsborough location is new since I left the area, but it looks like it's easy to get to from I-85, if that's what you end up doing. Hope you both have a good weekend!
Mar 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
HKP

There are many restaurants other than on Franklin St. in Chapel Hill. People with dogs sit outside the Weaver St. Market (actually in Carrboro, which is a kind of partner-town to Chapel Hill, and Weaver St. is the extension of Franklin St.) - they get their food from the Weaver St. deli and picnic out front - often to music. In Southern Village, there is an Italian combination trattoria and pizza place with outdoor seating (I see dogs hanging out with pizza-eaters all the time). I can name a number of other places with outdoor seating, but in a couple of cases, I don't know whether they would encourage dogs inside the enclosed area (Sage in Timberlyne, Weathervane in University Mall). You don't need to go all the way to Hillsborough, although it's a charming town.
Mar 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
HKP

jent103 - I would have also mentioned Whole Foods, because they used to have picnic tables out front and people had dogs there all the time - esp. for the annual dogwash. But all the re-organization of the parking lot has pretty much eliminated the picnic area, I'm sorry to say.
Mar 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM

From dogfriendly.com - a Mexican restaurant in Chapel Hill

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...679060pa.shtml

Patio Loco Mexican Grill
407 West Franklin St
Chapel Hill,
North Carolina 27516
919-967-9060

Map

This restaurant serves Mexican food. Dogs are allowed at the outdoor
Mar 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM
HKP

Too late for me to call and check, but I'm under the impression that Patio Loco closed last fall. Might want to call to check if you're thinking of heading that way. But across the street there's Vespa - an Italian restaurant with a couple of outside tables (it's really good food, too).

(But as I think of it, if you're coming from Mebane, maybe it isn't a matter of "going all the way Hillsborough" - it's probably closer than Chapped Heel.)
Mar 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM

Well, I did say "most," not "all." And I didn't think cmcfong would want to drive out to Southern Village when coming from Mebane.

Thanks for pointing out the picnic area in front of the Carrboro Weaver Street. I thought there was one there, but it's been so long since I was there that I didn't want to say for sure.
Mar 27th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. I appreciate it!

HKP, I hope you saw that Dewey's ships so you can have your hot cross buns.
Aug 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM

Any updates to dog friendly outdoor seating in Chapel Hill? Franklin Street restaurants are not dog friendly?
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Hello, I know it's an old question, but it popped up first in my search today, so I'll add to the information. I live in Hillsborough, and work in Chapel Hill. My son plays sports in Mebane.
Mebane is about 10-12 miles from Hillsborough. Chapel Hill is another 10 from there. In otherwords, Hillsborough is more convenient that Chapel Hill.

Typically, dog friendly restaurants are local- not chains. I don't know of anywhere in Mebane to take your dog. In fact, don't eat in Mebane

Hillsborough on the other hand has a quaint downtown, with 5 restaurants that have outdoor seating. I have taken my dog, a well behaved English Bulldog, to every one of them, multiple times. I recommend The Wooden Nickel (saloon style) or their neighbor, Tupelos (Gulf.)

I've also taken my dog to lots of places in Chapel Hill (Carrboro.) Franklin Street has a few outdoor seating areas we've been to. Carolina Brewery is awesome for this. I also would recommend a pet friendly outing to the Southern Railroad. Spotted Dog has no outdoor seating, not sure why the above poster recommended it. In addition, yes, Weaver Street Market is a fun place to take your pet too.. But I recommend a meal, then a nice walk to Weaver Street to people watch. Chapel Hillians are nut cases

We've seen every type of dog imagineable, and people here aren't at all goofy about the "dreaded Pit Bull!!" Be aware this is a walking downtown and there people all over the place. On foot and bicycle. As a local, I don't want to lose this dog friendly dining availability. If your dog can't handle it, go to McD's and eat in the car.
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Blitzburggirl, thanks for the update. My dogs are therapy dogs and I usually have one of them with me. This information is great.