Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Doesn't anyone want to talk about Santa Fe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/doesnt-anyone-want-to-talk-about-santa-fe-219083/)

barbara May 10th, 2002 04:01 PM

Doesn't anyone want to talk about Santa Fe?

I keep waiting for someone to post something -- there's lots of old posts, but nothing recent. That's where we are going this summer. Has it been talked out? Is anyone else going to Santa Fe this summer?

ch May 10th, 2002 04:17 PM

Barbara, if you want to ask questions don't be afraid to fire away. People will help if they can but they aren't mind readers who post spontaneous answers to un-asked questions.

barbara May 10th, 2002 04:25 PM

well I was just wondering -- there's so much discussion re DC (my home, not a summer destination), hawaii (ok, so it is a paradise), other places, just nothing about santa fe. I don't have any particular questions -- there's been enough discussion in the past for me to learn what to do, where to go. I just thought it odd that there is little of recent vintage.

Darla May 10th, 2002 04:39 PM

Barbara, its a great place, and you will have a good time. Just because it does not merit alot of questions means its not Disneyland or Wakiki. Enjoy!

SanFe May 13th, 2002 06:33 AM

Maybe because it's been Winter there and other than fanatical skiers or New Years Eve partiers, most people stay out of No. New Mexico until Spring?

J T Kirk May 13th, 2002 06:37 AM

I love Santa Fe, and I love talking about it. Do you have any specific questions?

Dick May 13th, 2002 06:37 AM

Barbara,<BR><BR>When are you going?<BR><BR>There is a big difference in Santa Fe when special events are going on....like Indian Market.<BR><BR>What are you looking to do in Santa Fe? How long will you be there?<BR><BR>

Barbara May 13th, 2002 09:05 AM

Actually, I booked my entire trip using comments from this site. We are arriving July 16, staying at the Inn of the Anasazi for 4 nights, driving to Taos, staying at a B&B (name escapes me for the moment, but recommended on this site)and then returning for 3 nights at La Posada, departing July 24. I've got most of my day trips planned too, all from comments on this site. I was just thinking it had been a very long time since Santa Fe had been mentioned on this site, and there was so much about DC, NY, Hawaii, Fla, other places, that I was starting to think that we would be the only ones in Santa Fe this summer! I should be so lucky! Anyway, I was just looking for something to whet my appetite. Thanks for responding.

Anne May 20th, 2002 11:19 AM

Barbara,<BR>I'm curious about your trip itinerary and the day trips you've planned. Can you list them?

xx May 20th, 2002 11:37 AM

Bandelier National Monument is a nice day trip out of Santa Fe. Another interesting day trip is a drive to Madrid on the Turquoise Highway.

Ivanna No May 20th, 2002 12:04 PM

Nope. Have all the turquoise jewelry and shiny beads I need right now.

Barbara May 20th, 2002 01:34 PM

Anne, I don't have my papers with me, and its been a few weeks since I actually gave any thought to the trip (family necessities interceded and interrupted trip planning and my obsession with it!!) so can't swear to it. When I have the chance to dig out my travel plans, I will re-post. <BR><BR>We fly into Albuquerque, do the Sandia Peak Tramway, then if I recall, take the turquoise highway (forget the precise name) to Santa fe, stopping along the way at one of the towns. Staying at INn of the Anasazi 4 days, going to Bandelier, Los Alamos, doing the city; shopping, art galleries; driving to Taos via either the high road or the middle road, stopping at Embuda (?) for lunch. In Taos we will do white water rafting and something else that I planned but promptly forgot. Two days in Taos, staying at a B&B (but can't recall which one) then back to Santa Fe to stay at La Posada for 3 nights -- doing a day of spa, day in the market (one of the days is the INdian market), a final day of the galleries. I've already got most of the restaurants picked out for the trip too -- I got all of the information and recommendations on this site. I promise to retrieve my papers and re-post (thereby keeping this message somewhere near the top) in the next few days.

no May 20th, 2002 02:19 PM

<BR>No, I'd rather not talk about Santa Fe. But thanks anyway.

roco May 23rd, 2002 04:49 PM

Barbara,<BR><BR>I will be in Santa Fe from Aug. 17-24. Indian Market is the first weekend. My request for a timeshare exchange was "granted" a year ago and this is the week that they gave me. I now take Santa Fe Magazine and New Mexico Magazine. Santa Fe Magazine stated that the Indian Market is the BIGGEST event in Santa Fe --- in more ways that ONE. It seems that they have a critical water shortage, and the sewers aren't in the best condition with all of the restaurants pouring grease down their sinks (yes, it's a no-no, but are the sewer police always watching).<BR><BR>Now, the magazine was commenting that with every motel room for miles flushing and showering at the same time, they were expecting a few "back-ups" to say the least.<BR><BR>I'm going with the flow---how about you?<BR><BR>All humor aside, I have been there about five times (always in the fall) and probably would not have picked summer, but it is my favorite place on earth.<BR><BR>Enjoy.

Arabella May 23rd, 2002 05:07 PM

Barbara,<BR><BR>Just decided to go to Santa Fe at the end of September. Since you've done so much research, I'd love to know the name of the B&B where you'll be staying.<BR><BR>Thanks!

rob May 24th, 2002 05:02 AM

we spents a couple of days there last October.it didn't do a whole lot for me.....but if you like shopping in "cute" shops and going to art galleries you'll like the town.

Dick May 24th, 2002 05:34 AM

Barbara,<BR><BR>If I understand your itinerary, you won't be in Santa Fe of Indian Market( 3rd weekend in August)<BR><BR><BR>Roco,<BR><BR>My wife and I have been to Indian Market 5 or 6 times and really enjoy it.<BR><BR>If you are a serious buyer, the most important thing you need to know is Get There early.<BR><BR>While the show officially opens at 7:00am...some exhibitors sell out in under 30 minutes.<BR>2. Be early<BR>3. Go

barbara May 24th, 2002 10:55 AM

Arabella, the B&B we are staying at is in Taos -- Hacienda del Sol -- the Cowboy Room -- hope its good; Dick, as for Indian Market, I may have gotten that mixed up with something else -- is there a regular ole' Market Day that is different? All I know is that at La Posada, the room rate increased substantially on the last day (July 24) because of some market phenomena

Dick May 24th, 2002 12:56 PM

Barbara,<BR><BR>I'm not sure what event is going on at that time. My only guess is that that rates go up because of the Sante Fe Opera performing on the 24th

Judy Blackman May 24th, 2002 01:16 PM

I love Santa Fe and you have chosen the two very finest places to stay - be sure to take the carriage tour if you haven't been before - great food - I know you will have a memorable trip. Also great museums. Judy Blackman