Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does your city have an annual Italian festival?

Jul 18th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I've never posted a general question like this before, but I suddenly felt compelled as I watched a newscast from Buffalo's Italian festival, which is currently underway. It may not be the biggest or best, but I look forward to it every year....oh, the cannoli and Russ' cookies, steak and dandolion sandwiches, sausage with peppers and onions! Last year, Dominic Chiannese (Uncle Junion on the Sopranos) provided entertainment - he has a beautiful voice). This year, Gerry Lewis' son (Gary) and Dean Martin's son will be performing.

Does your city have an Italian festival, and if so, please tell me about it. (I know, it doesn't compare to actually eating authentic food in Italy - so please no rude comments. I just want to know about good old Italian-American cheap eats).

Thanks!
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:08 PM
dln

Holy Rosary Parish in Indianapolis puts on a great Italian festival! Good food, good fun, and more and more popular each year.

In Boston, there's an Italian street party in the North End neighborhood, but I'm not as up-to-date about that one.

Jul 18th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Dan

New Orleans has a big IRISH-ITALIAN festival in the spring around the time of St. Joseph's Day. Big parades, parties, etc.
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:18 PM

BuffaloGirl,

Hey I grew up in Williamsville and my grandparents lived on Niagara Street years ago when the festival was on Connecticut St. I loved it when I was a kid. I still think Scime's sausage is the best, and loved bluebird's cannoli.

I live in Cleveland these days, and on the east side we have a little Italy. Every year for the feast of the assumption, Aug. 15th, they have 4 day long festival complete with virgin Mary procession - it is really something to see, kind of a throw back.

We are actually going to Buffalo next week, my husband saw on some Empire sports cable show them hosting a bisons game for Italian night so he's been bugging my dad to gethim tix ever since. Needless to say they are going, mom and I will probably opt for dinner at Siena.
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:43 PM

New York has the San Genarro Festival, but sad to say that it has become over-commercialized and the food is mediocre at best.
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies!

To JillD: I grew up on the west side very near Connecticut Street. I spent every night of the Italian Festival there. Scime's still has the best sausage - I use it when I make sauce. Unfortunately, Blue Bird Bakery is gone...my 1st communion cake came from there. I can't remember if it was a cassata cake or lemon filled. Thanks for bringing it up!!!

Anyone else???