Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does Tripadvisor reviews influence your hotel choices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just canceled a booking due to bad TA reviews. Too many bad. Just wondering, do you put much stock in the reviews? I haven't too much in the past, but it is hard to spend $200 and up on a risky proposition...IMO. Have you canceled a booking bc of TA reviews?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:36 AM

I throw out the best and the worst reviews before making a decision. One never knows who wrote the reviews. I do value the information from the "majority."
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:43 AM

This question has been asked before, and the answer is the same--I use them as ONE source of information in selecting where to stay.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I definitely use them. When reading a bad review, one must pay close to what the reviewer hated about the place. One "apartment" hotel in which I was interested had some pretty bad reviews, but they were the result of the advertised laundry facilities being frequently locked up or not operational. Not good, but it didn't matter to me, as I wasn't planning to do laundry.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:52 AM

No. and I publish good reviews on TA.
But because I read TA forums and Fodors..I know a name or two that pops up all the time, posting raves or bad reviews about places that the poster has never even stepped inside of..or if they have, it was to use the hotel bathroom, so I think sticking to a forum like Fodors is best, when everyone discusses it.
VT is the same, there are posters ( at least I know of one) who posts reams of info on places that this person has never been to nor stayed in nor eaten in, but will post raves or not...
My 2 cents worth here
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:57 AM

No, I used to read TA reviews, but found them not reliable. I don't even read them anymore. Searches on travel forums and google seem to bring up better results for me.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM

I usually check trip advisor before making my final choice. I usually won't let one bad review influence my decision because we've all exaggerated when we're in a bad mood. (Although a review that mentioned rats was enough to nix a hotel for me.)

I like being able to read recent reviews (like if someone who stayed there last week says "Construction noise was unbearable" I might rethink things).

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Not much. Too many of the reviews are posted by the hotels, or by their competitors.

That happens on the Tripadvisor forums as well, but there I can at least see if the person has ever posted before, and what about.

Keith
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I find them useful in that they bring up issues I may not have thought to check out. However, you don't know the people writing them so you may not share the same opinion. Also sometimes they have a hot button that would not apply to me, but still i think they help influence my decisions.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:02 AM
GoTravel

I only read them as a last resort.

While I'm sure there are many legitimate opinions, there are too many disgruntled guests (neighbors too loud, eggs weren't cooked correctly) and hotel employees (best hotel in the world!!) to week through for me.

Being that I've been in the hotel business, I can read between the lines.

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM
emd

I use them, esp. when I see repeated pros and cons about the same things in several detailed reviews. I have found them generally more reliable than not, and often I get good info on what rooms have the most space, best views, etc. which helps me at check-in.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM

I do and I don't. Sure, I read them, but still ask Fodorites.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Unless there's a recurring and major complaint (ie, almost everyone mentions moldy bathrooms) I overlook them. But I DO find the candid traveler photos to be a huge help -- you can see what the pool looks like when people are actually swimming there, what your standard city-view double is going to look like, etc. Brochure photogs can make anything look good
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I consult TA when making a hotel choice, but read the reviews with a grain of salt. I seem to recall a newspaper article where hotel employees are periodically encouraged to write good reviews, so I question the source of a glowing review. Like restaurant reviews, one person's rave may be another person's rant, not everyone has the same taste or criteria. For inexpensive hote rooms, I wouldn't let TA influence my choice. On the other hand, if I am spending $$$, I will consult Travelocity.com, Fodors, guidebooks, etc. because I want to ensure I am getting value for my hard earned dollars. Most intelligent people can judge for themselves, if they have several sources.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I read TA reviews to see what others have to say but I don't put a lot of weight on the emotional ones and if there are a lot of bad rational reviews, and by a lot I mean more than 10, then yes I would reconsider but seek more info before making a final decision. Also, I find it interesting to compare the reviews of European hotels on TA and Venere--in some cases, night and day reviews.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I used them for a recent trip to Mexico, but only because the Mexico forum here on Fodor's is not very active. Their forum is full of them same people, saying the same old thing, so it was and wasn't helpful. I do usually post a review of the hotel I stay at on TA.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Ditto what Scarlett said. If TA seems overly negative, but friends on Fodor's who HAVE been to the establishment say it's good, then I trust the Fodorites. I have NEVER been disappointed.

Good luck with your trip plans!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 01:55 PM

I tend to book hilton hotels and occasionally, i would ask if the location is a good one or not. I havent' made a habit of checking TA - although since I've discovered priceline, I've done this - and each time I worried for nothing. Most people complain of the service but when i go check in at the hotel, knowing I got a great deal at priceline, I generally don't complain so I've made it a point not to check TA anymore. I tend to trust fodorites more anyway.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM

I read the reviews but usually after I've narrowed down my choice of hotel and base my decision on more on factual comments than on subjective information. For example if a reviewer commented that the windows do not open I'd check this with the hotel and I'd probably not stay there but if the reviewer complained about poor service it wouldn't affect my decision... I'm low maintenance!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I use TA as one resource. I will pay attention if there are many negative reviews, but I won't let one or two bad ones sway me if the rest of them are good. I also find them useful for learning things about the hotel that I might not find in the official literature. I just posted a review to TA with photos because like another poster, I find them very helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -