Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does one have to take a organized tour of San Simeon?

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Jim

Or can you drive yourself there,park and buy an admission ticket and do your own thing?

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:44 PM
kam

It's tours only--meaning you can drive there, park your car, but a docent will take your group around the grounds. There are at least 4 different tours to choose from as well as one at night. It's best to make reservations ahead of time especially in the summer.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Jim

Thanks for the quick response.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Jim's Helper

Here's the Hearst Castle Website:

http://www.hearstcastle.org/welcome.asp

Tells you all you need to know. I strongly suggest you reserve adhead of time.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:44 PM
lcuy

If you get there very early, you might get by without reservations, but it is a long trip up there, so its best to at least reserve the day ahead, so you won't be disappointed or have to wait hours for a tour.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Pat

kam: I went there YEARS ago - do the trolleys that take you from parking lot to the grounds still play "Oh...the tumbling tumble weeds..." That song played in my head for days afterwards...now it's going to do the same today...all day...

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Joe

Jim: As indicated by others, it is Tours only. But, the the guides are so well trained and knowledgeable you wouldn't want to do it any other way. The amount of information they have, even personal information about the major players, is phenominal.