Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reasonable Condo in Maui and Kauai. Any Suggestions?

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 07:41 PM
Pat

We are looking for a reasonably priced, well maintained, 2 bedroom, condo accomodations for Apr. 99. In Maui we would be most interested in the Kihei area, as that is what we are most familiar with (but will consider and other recommended locations.) We have never been to Lanai, so are open to suggestions as to the best area. As Canadians with our poor floundering dollar we need all the help we can get!
Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 3rd, 1998, 12:28 PM
Tom

Pat, We're going in April from Canada as well. We'll be staying at the Menehune Shores in Kihei. It's right on the beach and we like the Kihei area as well. Last March, we stayed up the street at the Kihei Beach Resort on Sugar Beach. It's a great beach. The only negative thing was that it was noisy during rush hours since the back bedroom is so close to the road. The kids were in that bedroom & got up early anyway but if you had people wanting to sleep in, it would be noisy! This time I need a 3 bedroom and that's why I looked into Menehune Shores. They offer condo and car packages. They have a website: http://thesupersites.com/menehune/
Maybe we'll see each other in Maui! Can't wait! Email me if you have other questions or suggestions.

Old Oct 3rd, 1998, 08:32 PM
Pat

Aloha Tom,
Thanks for the info on Menehune Shores. I will have to check that out.
Also I meant to say we are looking for accomodation on 'Kauai' not Lanai.
Thanks for your help!
Pat

Old Oct 4th, 1998, 07:20 AM
Tom

We also stayed 1 week on Kauai last March. Rented a 2 bedroom condo privately from owner at Kauai Beach Villas (about 5 min. from Lihue airport). About $950US for the week, beachfront and shared facilities with Outrigger Kauai Beach - nice pools (just like the picture) Judith Dalton is very nice and helpful with island info. Her website is:
http://www.ivacation.com/p5427.htm
Say hi to her from us. The only negative is when we were there, the ocean in front of the resort is too rough to swim in. We drove to Lydgate Park, 5 min. away and there's an enclosed area with lifeguards, quite safe for children. We found the condo very central to the whole island. Not as touristy an area and close to town. Good luck!

Old Oct 6th, 1998, 08:53 AM
Rebecca

Agree with previous writer about the great location and setting of condos next to the Outrigger Kauai Beach Hotel. Part of our time on the island, we stayed at that hotel and loved it. Besides the pools, there is lovely duck pond/lagoon. Lydgate is great, especially if you have kids (dynamite playground there too) ; also you can take a great walk up the beach about 15-20 minutes from the condo and swim at the safer beach in front of the golf course. The area shared by the hotel and condo is down a little road thru sugarcane fields and while it is very centrally located as a base for Kauai travels, it feels surprisingly secluded and peaceful., especially in the evening. The area is part of the "Coconut Coast" and is lovely , though not as sunny (and touristy) as Poipu , or as spectacularly beautiful as the North Shore. There are some great inexpensive but unique restaurants nearby if you don't want to do all your eating in the condo. Feel free to eamil me for more specific info. Aloha.

Old Oct 25th, 1998, 10:46 PM
Sarah

Check out Maui Dreams Come True. They are on the Internet. When my family comes to visit, this is who I book with.
Tell them Lahaina Pure Water referred you!

Old Nov 1st, 1998, 05:56 PM
brenda

Hi Pat,
We go to Maui and Kauai each year for a month, 2 weeks per island. We love the Maui Hill resort in Kihei. It is at the Wailea end of Maui and not right in the middle of the hustle of the Kihei strip, but close enough to everything in the area, They have 1,2,3 bedroom condo units. Even the 1 bedrooms units have 2 bathrooms, a real plus. All unit have a large lanai and are very well maintained and very clean. The grounds are exceptionally nice and well maintained. The pool is large and one of the nicer I have found at any condo resort in Maui. There is an activity desk and weekly pool party with entertainment and free mai-tais. Give them a try. I think you will be pleased.
On Kauai we stay at Poipu area at Lawai Beach Resort. It too is superb and right on the water. The best snorkle beach on the southshore is right there as is the Beach House restaurant, one of the best restaurants on the island. Beautiful gounds, very clean and well maintained. Also offer weekly activities and an activity desk to help with things.
Whereever you end up, you will have a good time. Hawaii is a great place. We love it, so will you!