Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does anyone really believe that Orbitz will personally notify you and your family of flight delays like their commercial claims?

Does anyone really believe that Orbitz will personally notify you and your family of flight delays like their commercial claims?

Jun 24th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

I believe that Orbitz will send email notifications of delays and cancellations 24 hours after the traveler has flown. Does anyone really believe their customer service is as impeccable as their ad claims?
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:53 AM

We used them once a couple years ago and had an e-mail informing us just before the trip that the flights, etc. were still as scheduled, so I think it would be fair to assume they would notify of problems also.
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:14 AM

They notified us well in advance of a schedule change.
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:39 AM

Last year I booked a complicated itin to Hawaii on Orbitz. (By the way, it combined 3 airlines on four dates and I couldn't have done this through any other website). Two days before the trip I checked my booking online and noticed the outbound flights had changed - Orbitz had not notified me. The individual airlines would not work with me, but a call to Orbitz finessed the thing to my liking (sending me out the previous evening instead of connecting three flights to get us from Tampa to Hawaii).

So...I would definitely use Orbitz again for "creative" itineraries, but don't count on them too much, you just have to check yourself. But they will go to bat for you - they see the big picture. But why book through them for a simple roundtrip? If you go to the website of the actual carrier, you usually save $5-10 in fees.
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:23 AM

I have given up looking for any kind of consistency from carriers or travel agencies. Yes, Orbitz has notified us via e-mail (sometimes) when the schedule changes. Sometimes it can be cheaper to check on Orbitz for a fare but actually book on the carrier's website to save the Orbitz fee, but then again, sometimes you can't find either the fare or the flights that Orbitz is offering. By far my favorite feature of booking thru Orbitz is being able to book for another person in another location without the hassle of sending them a paper ticket, etc.
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:16 AM
E

Actually, on our last trip, Orbitz went one better: they called me on my cell phone about 4 hours before (return home) departure to confirm that flights were on time and as scheduled. I had forgotten that I'd given them that cell phone number..pretty cool, and in future, if Orbitz offers the same fare, I'd choose them over their competitors.