Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Does anyone live in Chatham? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/does-anyone-live-in-chatham-645348/)

Katherine4 Sep 9th, 2006 09:39 AM

Does anyone live in Chatham?

My husband and I are considering moving to Chatham in a couple of years. I'm wondering if there's anybody out there who lives in Chatham. If so, how do you like it?

Thanks!!

P.S. What are the public schools like?

Betsy Sep 9th, 2006 09:52 AM

Katherine, all posts to the US board go to one central board. There are no individual state boards. Highlighting a state when you post only serves when someone is doing a search, not when you're posting. Fodor's does not make this clear, IMHO. Could you tell us what state Chatham is in?

amaclise Sep 9th, 2006 09:57 AM

It's on Cape Cod (that would be Massachusetts).

Katherine4 Sep 9th, 2006 10:01 AM

Yikes! Sorry. Chatham, MA!

capecodshanty Sep 9th, 2006 10:56 AM

Though I don't live in Chatham, we have several friends who do.
In September, the summer population leaves, and the town once more becomes a small village, of about 7ooo year round residents, many of whom are retired, and will leave during the winter months.
The village bewcomes manageable, the people friendlier, and all very involved with the community.
Our friends, one who has two boys in elementary, and a girl in middle school, are very happy with the school system. The size allows for much individual attention.
Another sends their child to a private school in another Cape town.
All seem to be pleased with the quality of life in the town, and its opportunities for the children.

Betsy Sep 9th, 2006 11:30 AM

There's also a Chatham, VA.

CAPH52 Sep 9th, 2006 11:36 AM

And a Chatham, IL

starrsville Sep 9th, 2006 11:47 AM

And NJ. And counties in GA and NC.

So, I guess that means I "live" in Chatham part-time.

yellowbyrd Sep 12th, 2006 02:35 PM

Chatham is a small resort town with all of the problems that most communities face-just on a smaller scale. Since most of the tax payers do not live there year 'round, the town has a low tax rate and very small school. That is good and bad. The teachers know all of the children and the classes are small. There is strong community support for technology in the schools and the buildings are are fairly new ( within the last 8-9 years). For a small school they do an excellent job ensuring that all students are challanged. But there is not much diversity in the student population and there is not much competition....so depending on what you are looking for, that could be good or bad. For a broader range of courses and academic opportunities you could choose to send your child to Nauset Regional High School in Eastham as they offer "school choice" opportunities for non- residents. But I believe you would have to arrange the transportation from Chatham to Eastham every day. You can go on line to check about the MCAS test results of the elementary, middle and high schools. That should give you some idea about the levels of achievement compared to other communities. Do keep in mind that some of the best students are sent to private schools so the scores reflect the achievement of those left and those whose parents chose to enroll them in Chatham schools because of the small classes. Check out the % of special needs students in the student body and I think you will see that it is higher than in most Cape Cod schools because of the school choice students. Each graduating class has less than 60 students.

Ryan Sep 12th, 2006 03:17 PM

Do you mean Chatham, NJ the # 9 ranked town by Money magazine. Great town, great schools.

The commute isn't bad to NY though parking at the station is an issue.

Taxes are reasonable for the area.

But, don't expect to find a nice house for less than $700K.

wyatt92 Sep 12th, 2006 03:29 PM

The OP already clarified that she meant Chatham MA.