Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does anyone ever pick a city out on the map and decide to travel there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night I was looking at a road atlas and wondering what it was like in various cities far from the typical tourist route. My eye went to Tulsa, OK and wondered what it would be like to visit there.

Is there anyone else that travels to places just because they see it on the map? How is Tulsa?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:07 AM

If you have enough time to waste on a trip to Tulsa, or anywhere like the such, you need more in your life.

Donate your free time to a charity or helping people.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Oh lighten up ahhnold. We all have plenty of time to waste on this message board that we could donate for a better cause but don't.

Its so nice that you for you that you get to decide that a trip to Tulsa "or anywhere like the such" would be a waste...

I usually don't make a trip to a destination on a map I know nothing about per se but I do look for towns nearby my main destination and check them out. In January I went to the LA area and drove to Anaheim and to Palm Desert just for the heck of it although I didn't know anything about either town.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:18 AM

I don't think time wasted on this board would correlate with a trip to Tulsa. If you do, you have more free time than the rest of us. Most of us with busy lives working and caring for our families wouldn't waste time and money going to Tulsa.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:20 AM

travdis - I find out-of-the-way places that are not the typical tourist TRAP to be fascinating. A road trip is just my idea of a great time and we do get off the highway, visit small towns, eat at diners, enjoy the scenery, and smell the roses. I've been to plenty of big cities, famous beaches, expensive hotels, etc. - but honestly, I'd just as soon avoid the crowds and see something different. I have a good time wherever I go. I know nothing about Tulsa, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your quest to see something different. I think that was certainly part of the theme in "Field of Dreams".
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Travdis, I think that's a really fun idea. I've often wished I had the time to do something like that. I've always wanted to do a mystery trip too. A few years ago, there was an airline that was offering really great fares, but the thing was, you had no idea where you would be going till you got to the airport. I thought that would have been fantastic to do. There is something interesting and fun just about everywhere, even Tulsa.

http://ww3.visittulsa.com/general.asp?id=101

ahhnold- I guess that makes you a travel snob, eh? That's fine as long as you realize it I guess!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:40 AM

I do it all the time... 3 examples:
While some people gush about Toronto, I decided to spend my free day in a little town east of the city called St Jacobs which turned out to be a quaint little Mennonite town. When I had a free day in Pittsburgh, I headed to Ligonier and accidentally landed in the middle of a Highlands Festival. While working in Boulder, I decided to make a quick drive to Nederland. It turned out to be a cute little bohemian town with great little shops and coffee houses! All of these towns were random choices from a map and did not disappoint.
I prefer country charm.
As they say, different strokes for different folks.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:44 AM

I would imagine that there are people out there who choose randomly selected vacation spots, but I doubt that there would be many visitors to the Fodors' chat forums who would do that since the nature of these boards center around researching the best places to go. If you want a random vacation, you don't necessarily need Fodors.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Call me a travel snob, whatever you want. Free time is priceless to me and no way I waste it on Tulsa unless to visit family.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:53 AM

This is the fun part of long road trips, I think. You can make a point of driving through places that may not be destinations by themselves. Places I've passed through and stopped to take looks at, which I would never consider the main destination, include Amarillo, TX, Lawrence, KS, Winslow, AZ, Oklahoma City, OK. This summer we're going through Lubbock TX, Little Rock AK, Cedar Rapids IA and other places, just because we wanted to, so we routed the trip that way. For the record, we thought about driving through Tulsa and asked a friend there to send us some ideas of what to do with kids. We quickly routed our trip over to Little Rock instead.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:59 AM

On a long camping trip in the American and Candian Rockies I realized I didn't have the vet records for my pooch. I picked a place off the map that looked small and close to my anticipated route. I took more time than planned en route and had to rush through Utah to get to the PO in time to pick up the papers via General Delivery. The town I picked turned out to be a delightful surprise - glad I found my way there under any circumstances.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Hi,
A number of years ago I read a book set in Santa Fe - thought it sounded great, didn't really know anything about it, but decided one day I'll go there. And I did ! Now that may not seem like a long way for you, but from Ireland it's a fair hike! Before I got there I knew alot more about it and did alot of research on this board, but to begin with, it really was a place on a map. Of course, it didn't disappoint me. Go for it, you never know what you will find - remember life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey!
Laura
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:45 AM

I receive the weekly emails from various airlines and from smarterliving.com Several times I've picked a city to visit that had good prices for airfare, but only after checking what transportation & hotel options/costs might be, and if the city had something of interest. Tulsa hasn't been one of them.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:49 AM

sfamylou- Were you...."standing on a corner in Winslow AZ" as the Eagles like to sing? I always hear that line and think about going to Winslow AZ just to see if it is like the picture I have in my head.

But then thats just me cause I have LOADS of time to waste on such thoughts since I don't work hard and don't care a hoot about my family! hee hee hee...
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Dan

Last night I was wondering if travdis the troll thinks up his/her troll posts in the morning or the evening?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Maybe, Dan. amwosu hasn't caught on to the fact that Travdis posts here for abuse and every post should be treated accordingly.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Dan, I think travdis has a whole list of troll posts pre-planned. After all, being the world traveller that he/she is, you would have to be extremely organized to do ALL that travelling AND spend so much time at Fodors posting insipid questions.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Oh contraire...I may be slow but I do know about travdis' posts. However, posting insipid questions and stating that going to Tulsa is a waste of time and indicates a need to get a life are two different things.

If I give you a list of places can you just let me know which ones are a waste of my time? I'll happily return the favor for you.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Going to Tulsa is a waste of time and Travdis needs to get a life. Those two truths are the same.

You admit that you may be slow, and a continued defense of a troll poster just reflects on your image.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Yeah, but my dad can beat your dad up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -