Doable for a Colorado road trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a mid-Sept. trip to CO and would like some imput please. We are flying into Denver with a late morning arrival. Planning on driving thru Georgetown and heading towards Leadville for the 1st night. I keep reading on the forums about how slow the mt. roads can be so I really don't know how far we can travel in a day's time.

Next stop would be Mesa Verde with plans to stay in the park. Would like to go on to Durango, ride the train to Silverton but I believe this would turn out to be an all day event. Is it worth it?
We want to drive the San Juan Skyway, see Telluride, Ouray, Black Canyon of the Gunnison. We are a couple in the mid 50's who like to drive to see scenery, hike a bit, though my knees aren't what they use to be, my husband would like to fish a bit, and we enjoy viewing the wildlife. Are planning on being in CO for 9 nights. Would it be best to stay in one place or move around as we go? Then we would head back to RMNP for 2 nights before flying home.

Thank you for any insight.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Wonderful time of year to see Colorado - the aspens will be turning golden and the weather (usually) is at its best. Snow in the high country is not out of the question, but generally you won't encounter major storms.

It's about a two-hour drive from DIA to Leadville and most of it is on I-70 so unless there's severe weather, it's an easy and scenic drive.

It will be a much longer and slower drive from Leadville to Mesa Verde, so I don't know if you might want to reverse your itinerary and stop and stay at Gunnison or Ouray first, making your way southwest to Mesa Verde. This route is much more mountainous and slow, particulary the San Juan Skyway. It will be spectacular, though, so take your time and enjoy it. There isn't a good central location to stay and do that many daytrips, though, so I think you're better off planning a moving itinerary.

I suspect DebitNM will chime in with her excellent recommendations for that part of the world!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Mid September in SW Colorado is glorious!

I can offer up a bit of a suggestion. The train from Durango to Silverton is nice, but it does take a long time, especially if you do a round trip.

You can take the train one way and then take a coach bus back to Durango. It will be much less time and still as nice.

If I might suggest, Apple Orchard B&B. It is a wonderful place, at a great price and the hosts are top notch. They are a bit north of Durango and they can arrange for the train to stop right near the inn and pick you up!!

Telluride has a HUGE festival 9/12 to 9/14. You don't want to be there that weekend unless you are going to festival. Make sure to go there before or after those dates.

Deb

http://appleorchardinn.com/

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM

tekwriter quot;>

Deb
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! May have to rethink the trip itineray to start near Gunnison as you suggested tekwriter and head south then back up.

DebitNM, I had already copied the Apple Orchard B&B down from reading one of the other posts. I will definately keep that in mind.

Really looking forward to seeing this part of the country. I have never been to CO so I'm glad to hear we picked a good time to come as that will just add to the beauty of the trip.

Do either of you know where there is good fishing with public axcess?
DH would really like to wet his line somewhere in the state.

Thanks again for your quick responses. I just love this forum. Ev eryone is so willing to help.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Hi there,

I would suggest a different route. Is Leadville itself important to you or are you just wanting to get up to the mountains on day 1?

I would take I70 to Glenwood Springs(3 hours or so) or even Grand Junction(4 or so) for the first night. I70 is four lane all the way with a speed limit of 65 MPH through Vail and then increases to 75 except for the 25 or so miles through Glenwood Canyon. Very easy ride, in my opinion.

From Grand Junction head south on Hiway 50 to Ridgeway, west on 62 to Telluride and then south over Lizard Head Pass on Hiway 145 to Cortez and then east a bit to Mesa Verde. This is a beautiful drive anytime, but especially in the fall. We just traveled it in March and the snow was well over the fences in places-Stunning! Cortez is about 200 miles from Grand Junction.

To return to Denver, take Hiway 550 north out of Durango going over the San Juan Skyway to Ouray and continue to Montrose. Just east of Montrose is Black Canyon, which we really like. Continue east on Hiway 50 through Gunnison over Monarch Pass to Hiway 24 and then north to Leadville, etc. back to Denver.

This sounds far more complicated than it really is.

Have fun.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Did somebody say "fishing"?

(crack of knuckles)

Well then.....it will all depend upon what kind of fishing your DH would like to get into.

Does he want to:

1) flyfish
2) spincast
3) troll
3) soak a worm from the bank

Does he want to do it in a:

1) stream
2) river
3) lake/reservoir
4) high alpine lake
5) beaver pond

Does he want to fish for:

1) trout
2) salmon
3) grayling
4) walleye
5) bass
6) panfish
7) northern pike
8) muskie
9) catfish

Will he be bringing his own equipment, or will he be renting; or will he be looking to hire a giude for a day?

Is he looking for a few big fish, a lot of easy little ones, or a little bit of both?

I can give you some good, specific, easy-to-access directions, but it depends upon what he wants. In the mountain areas you have posted about, he will probably be confined to fishing for trout &/or salmon. There are some world-class trout streams in the state. They can be fished in many ways, but there are some places that are restricted to the use of artificial flies and lures only; and there are some areas that are strictly 'catch & release'; and there are some areas that are both.

Remaining in areas of public access is important because the rocks and banks and bottoms of rivers and streams that run through private property are PART of that private property here in Colorado, and some owners get very protective of what they see as their own little private piece of heaven.

So many questions - but the first 2 are the most important. Didn't think it was gonna be this complicated, did ya?

Let me know.

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi furledleader,
DH is bringing his own things including waders if they fit! He likes to fish for trout, ties his own flies so that is not a problem and catch and release is fine. He does that here. I think he would like streams or rivers and I don't think he will do a guide simply because of time. As for what he would like to catch - anything!!!
We had to stop in MI so he could fish in Grayling and he was just as excited to catch small fighters as a big one back home. He just enjoys the time one the stream not that he wouldn't love to catch a huge trout.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. His birthday will be close to when we are out there so I would love to be able to book a room someplace where he could really have a great time and I could surprise him.

Thank you.

GJLinda,
Have already started to look at doing the route that way now that I know a little about timing and roads
Leadville was just a point that I thought we would be able to make in a days time. We don't have to be anywhere actually, just trying to see and do as much as possible in the time we have.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:11 AM

About 2 to 3 weeks before you leave for Colorado, have your DH start checking out the "Fishing Conditions" report on the Colorado Division of Wildlife website at http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/...ideConditions/

This site will give a pretty good, yet concise overview of what is happening on specific waters in the state. Pay particular attention to the following waters:

Northwest Region

* Colorado River (Glenwood to Rifle)
* Crystal River
* Roaring Fork River

Southeast Region

* Arkansas River (Leadville to Buena Vista)

Southwest Region

* Animas River
* Blue Mesa Reservoir
* Gunnison River (Upper from Almont to Blue Mesa)
* San Miguel River (this river sometimes isn't listed here, but sometimes it is)
* Trout Lake (may not always be listed here either)
* Ridgway Fishing Ponds
* Uncompahgre River in Ridgeway Park

The Division of Wildlife website also has an online Fishing Regulations & Property Directory (click on the "Rules/Regs" tab, then "Regulations Brochures", then under 2008, click on "Fishing & Property Descriptions"). This directory provides info on license fees, daily bag limits, and detailed info on specific waters such as whether it is "catch & release" fishing only, etc.
You should also pick up a copy of this free brochure wherever your DH purchases his fishing license (including the sporting goods section of Walmart) once you get here.

More later
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM

I would agree with the Silverton train-one way-bus-back...we did the round trip on the train and it was a very long day.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:30 AM

Fishing access runs a wide gamut in Colorado; including national parks, national forests, national recreation areas, state parks, state forests, state wildlife areas (SWA's), bureau of land management, county parks, city parks, and land owned by The Nature Conservancy. Entrance fees are required at national parks, state parks, and most national recreation areas. A Colorado fishing license is required of anyone over the age of 16 to fish ANYWHERE in the state, including national parks. A $5 "habitat stamp" is required to be purchased by all those buying a fishing or hunting license, and is in addition to the cost of the license itself. The "stamp" grants access to all state wildlife areas (SWA's). Those who don't purchase a hunting or fishing license, but want to enter a SWA, still need to purchase the stamp itself, at a cost of $10.25. Generally, SWA's do not have entrance stations, so purchasing the stamp must be done wherever a fishing license can be obtained.

SWA's are generally designated by name on a green & white sign at roadside fishing access parking areas along rivers, or at entrance roads. National Forest parking & access along rivers is generally noted by blue or brown signs with either the letter "P", or the word "Parking" on them. Some national forest river access and parking spots do remain unmarked though, and just appear as a wide pullover at the side of the road. Some national forest and National Recreation Area fishing access is designated by a sign (usually brown) with the picture of a fish and hook on them.

The time of year you will be here is nearly ideal for fishing. The weather should be cooling in the mountains, chilling the water in the rivers and lakes from the summer heat of the past 3 months, and making the fish more active. Summertime insects will be dwindling, but will still be around to join the beginning of the autumn insect hatches on rivers & lakes. The crowds of summer will also be dwindling, making fishing less crowded, and the fish less wary. The water in most rivers will generally be crystal clear, and be at normal or low flow unless rains or thundershowers cause temporary rise and/or flush silt into them from feeder streams.

Looking at your proposed itinerary, here’s some suggestions:

Leadville to Salida:
This route parallels the banks of the Arkansas River nearly all the way from Leadville to Johnson Village with periodic public access pullouts along the way. Just south of Leadville, Granite SWA provides about a mile of fishing access along the upper Arkansas from the Lake County-Chaffee County line downstream to the bridge that crosses the river leading to the hamlet of Granite.
The Johnson Village SWA is at the Hwy 24 bridge that crosses the river at Johnson Village, and provides access (on the west bank of the river only) for a quarter mile upstream and a half mile downstream. South of Johnson Village the highway takes a wider berth away from the river as the river passes through Browns Canyon, and access is much more limited until you reach Hwy 291 just north of Salida. Following Hwy 291 will put you in touch with numerous, small SWA’s in a short stretch of river, including Arkansas River/Salida SWA, Big Bend SWA, Mount Ouray State Forest Unit, Mount Shavano State Forest Unit, Sands Lake SWA, and Franz Lake SWA.
Although you probably won’t be heading that way, east of Salida, Hwy 50 hugs the banks of the Arkansas all the way to Royal Gorge. Accesses along this stretch are numerous via the Arkansas River Headwaters National Recreation Area sites.

Gunnison River & Blue Mesa Reservoir:
Eleven miles north of the town of Gunnison, the East River and the Taylor River merge to form the Gunnison River. All three rivers are fine trout streams in their own right. If perchance you do decide to head up to visit Crested Butte (north of Gunnison), there is fishing access on the East River at the Roaring Judy State Forest Unit (north of Almont), and numerous national forest accesses along the Taylor River (east of Almont).
U.S. Hwy 50 follows the Gunnison River for about 7 miles west of the town of Gunnison until it widens into the expanse of Blue Mesa Reservoir. Six miles west of Gunnison is the Gunnison SWA providing access to the river and a nice hiking trail (Beaver Creek Trail). Blue Mesa Reservoir is the largest body of water in the state, and is enclosed within the Curecanti National Recreation Area. There are numerous access spots to the reservoir along Hwy 50. At the western end of the reservoir (near the hamlet of Sapinero) is the dam that creates the reservoir. Downstream from the dam, the Gunnison River starts to enter into the canyons of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, and fishing access is difficult unless you hire someone to raft you through the canyon.

Uncompahgre River at Ridgeway State Park:
One of the best chances for catching a big fish is in the Uncompahgre River below the dam that creates Ridgeway Reservoir between Montrose & Ouray. You’ll have to purchase a one-day state park pass, but the access is easy. Just north of the dam is the “Pa-Co-Chu-Puk” area of Ridgeway State Park. The name is Ute Indian for Cow Creek, which enters the Uncompahgre River in this area. There is a campground here as well as picnic area, volleyball courts, horseshoe courts, toilets, river access and fishing ponds. Turning into the Pa-Co-Chu-Puk area from U.S. Hwy 550, stop at the self-service fee station, then proceed forward to the first left which will take you to the volleyball & group picnic area. About halfway to the group picnic area will be a large parking area on a short road off to your right. Park here and head toward the river. From the dam downstream to the confluence with Cow Creek, fishing in the river is restricted to artificial flies & lures only, and all fish must be returned to the water immediately. The fishing ponds are stocked with trout and are subject to the regular daily bag and size limits.
A second, much smaller, fisherman’s parking area is located at the very back (north) end of the “loop G” camping area between campsites 254 and 257. From here a short trail leads down to the river near its confluence with Cow Creek.

Animas River in Durango:
If your trip allows your DH to fish only one place, I’d suggest it be either at Pa-Co-Chu-Puk, or even better, the Animas River in Durango. Unlike the Uncompahgre (whose flow is controlled by the dam) the Animas is a freestone river, flowing solely at the mercies of the rains and snowmelt. During late May & June it can be so high and rough as to be unfishable. By mid September it usually flows perfect for fishing. Free access is plentiful and easy.
Downstream from the U.S. Hwy 160 bridge over the river at the southern end of downtown Durango, the Animas is designated as Gold Medal Water, and is restricted to the use of artificial flies & lures only with a daily bag limit of 2 trout, each having to be 16 inches or longer. Access here is easy with plentiful parking and a picnic area at the Chamber of Commerce area on the east side of the river along Hwy 160/550 just south of the bridge. Further south there is access at the junction of La Posta Road and Hwy 160/550.
Upstream of the Hwy 160 bridge there are no restrictions on fishing, and the general daily bag & size limits apply. Easy access can be had at the 9th St. bridge, the Main St. bridge, and the 32nd St bridge. Despite the fact that this stretch is not designated as Gold Medal water, I have caught some nice fish here.

Telluride & the San Miguel River
The San Miguel River is another freestone that originates high in the mountains above Telluride and flows through town, along a wide valley just west of town, then down through a canyon of steeper grade to the town of Placerville, then along a flatter, wider red rock canyon on toward Norwood. Easy access can be had at the town park at the east end of Telluride, but the river here is small, and the fish can be skittery, especially on festival days when the park is crowded. A hiking trail that follows the river through town, and downstream through some of the upper valley can be accessed from the town park.
From the airport road, downstream to Placerville, the San Miguel flows at a steeper grade in a narrow canyon with Hwy 145 hugging its eastern bank. Numerous public access pullouts are interspersed with private property along this stretch. A good access point is near mile marker 59. The drawback to this stretch is that the gradient produces lots of whitewater and the fishing is rather technical for small fish. In my opinion it’s better to wait until you get downstream to Placerville & beyond.
Two notable accesses are easily available in the Placerville area. The first is at Applebaugh Park. There are baseball diamonds, toilets, picnic spots and a fishing pond at Applebaugh. Although the river still runs fast, it is fishable at low flows. The pond here is stocked with trout usually eager to take dry flies from the surface even if you don’t see them rising. The second access is an unmarked pullout right across the road from the Placerville Town Park.
If you continue to follow Hwy 145 through the pretty red rock canyon toward Norwood, you’ll find many pullout access points (some named, some not), including the Specie Creek Rec site (toilets), Saltado Creek, Beaver Creek Rec site (toilets), and the Norwood Hill Rec site (toilets).
If time permits, I would suggest a side trip up to Woods Lake SWA. This pretty, little, secluded lake is situated on the edge of the Lizard Head Wilderness Area and is filled with eager brook trout in the 8 – 14 inch range. If you’re coming FROM Telluride, following the San Miguel down Hwy 145 toward Placerville, look for U.S. Forest Service Road 618 on the left about 13 miles from Telluride (about 1 mile below the hamlet of Sawpit, or 2 miles upstream of Placerville). Turn onto USFS 618 which will immediately cross over the San Miguel, and follow the road and signs for about 9 miles to Woods Lake. I believe 618 starts off as paved road, but quickly becomes graded dirt that may get wash-boardy at times, but is otherwise easily traversed by regular passenger vehicles. You can park practically at the shore, and when you get there, don’t be surprised if you’re the only ones there. There’s a small picnic area with toilet near the parking area. The shoreline at the picnic/parking area is shallow and weedy. Follow the shoreline to the right for about 100 yards until it becomes a rocky berm and the water becomes deeper and easier to fish. A foot trail along this shore seems like it will circle the lake, but it heads up a feeder stream into the wilderness area instead. If the fish seem picky about dries or nymphs, don’t be afraid to try a size 10 or 12 woolly bugger on them.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:22 AM

One comment re going to Leadville on day one - the altitude. Leadville's at 10,000 ft, as you probably know. If you spend the first night in Denver, it would help you get used to the higher altitudes you'd be hitting.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

unfurled leader,
Thank you so much! I can see when he sees this list his jaw will drop open. I have printed it out and will give it to him so he can start planning. And I think I will have to pack a few extra books and a few extra skeins of yarn LOL. At least when we were in MI it was only the Au Sable.

Seriously, how very kind of you for such detailed information. DH will have a blast. It is good to know what and where is allowable so he can just enjoy himself. I'll keep you posted on his reaction. I actually can't wait for tomorrow to see his face.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Mambo_

I would eliminate the final two nights in Rocky Mountain National Park. You have plenty to see and do in the southwest part of the state, without trekking there and back to Denver at the tail end.
>-

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Rocky Mountain National Park is my favorite spot in Colorado. Different strokes!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM

I love RMNP area as well... but it is a long drive from sw colorado for just 2 days... I'd maybe consider saving that area for a trip of its own sometime?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM

am2pm,

For fishing here are a couple of suggestions. Both are in the Black Canyon. Drive to the south entrance of the Black Canyon and drive down the East Portal Road. Your hubby can fish some excellent trout water that is close to the road. This road is STEEP so put your car in it's lowest gear and try to keep the brakes cool.

Suggestion Two: If you want to invest more time a full day guided float trip in the Gunnison Gorge http://www.troutfisherman.net/ It's beautiful and you could go along for the ride and not be bored by it. You can not hire anyone to float you down the inner Canyon, it's not floatable except for expert kayakers with a death wish.

BeanMan
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM

am2pm,

I just remembered that the East Portal Road is closed due to a rockslide. You should check to see if it has reopened (it should be by Sept) before heading down there.
Another fishing link to my favorite spot in Colorado. http://www.flyfisherman.com/rmwest/b...on/index3.html

My Brother and I have backpacked into the Black Canyon NP for 23 years in a row to fish in September.

Beanman's two beans
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Mambo_

What I meant, Carolyn, is that the OP plans on seeing Durango, Ouray, Telluride, Mesa Verde, and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. To add RMNP to that, then drive to Denver, would not be a good idea. Save it for the next trip, as gofrank says.
>-

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:34 PM

The OP didn't say where they are coming from, but they are flying into Denver. I assumed they would be driving back there as well.

For us, it's such a long trip to CO that we figure we should see all we can while we are there. We didn't go to RMNP last year, though, because we had a gift of a stay in Crested Butte. We drove out early to see Zion and Bryce NPs, which we hadn't seen before, and then went to Mesa Verde but it was closed due to snow. Spent a couple of nights in Durango waiting for the snow to melt and then drove the Million Dollar Highway to Gunnison and Crested Butte. After a week there with family, we drove back to KY in as straight a line as we could manage; but I was sorry to miss my RMNP fix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -